REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #101
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I went snowboarding the first couple of years without glasses. I got contacts and never looked back.
Any idea when cypress plans on opening Vangruver?
Advertisement
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #102
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSalesman View Post
Contacts will make snowboarding way better then having goggles over your glasses.
Not to mention you can bail hard enough and have your goggles and glasses come off at the same time and losing them. You also have a very shitty view with glasses on.
It's hard enough to find goggles with a very wide vision with an unobstructed view.

i tried boarding wihtout glasses and i just couldn't...well i could once i got off the lift but getting off the lift with my goggles on was hard lol i needed to take em off to see properly. so thats why i thought i could just wear my glasses. im not a fan of contacts...dislike poking my eye every day, although i never tried for more than one day lol maybe i can get used to doing the daily ones and just use those for snowboarding days

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #103
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
i tried boarding wihtout glasses and i just couldn't...well i could once i got off the lift but getting off the lift with my goggles on was hard lol i needed to take em off to see properly. so thats why i thought i could just wear my glasses. im not a fan of contacts...dislike poking my eye every day, although i never tried for more than one day lol maybe i can get used to doing the daily ones and just use those for snowboarding days
When I started wearing contacts, I only wore them for hockey, riding and snowboarding. After 3 months, I only wear glasses at home now and even at home I might put contacts in
Posted via RS Mobile
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #104
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
Hey gear experts! I'm getting a completely new snowboard set this season. I've been going for 4 seasons now but never really thought much of my gear as I rented and used old gear.
I'm restricted to buying only from SportChek as I work there and get a discount. I'm thinking of getting: Burton "Clash" board + Burton "Custom" binding + Burton "Moto" boots + Oakley O-Frame goggles + Anon Raider helmet.
Any thoughts?
kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #105
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Xplicitluder: they are fishbowl goggles, so they can fit pretty much anything in them.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #106
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin7352 View Post
Hey gear experts! I'm getting a completely new snowboard set this season. I've been going for 4 seasons now but never really thought much of my gear as I rented and used old gear.
I'm restricted to buying only from SportChek as I work there and get a discount. I'm thinking of getting: Burton "Clash" board + Burton "Custom" binding + Burton "Moto" boots + Oakley O-Frame goggles + Anon Raider helmet.
Any thoughts?
I'm assuming you're at the intermediate level of snowboarding since you've been going for 4 seasons now. I think at that point there's really no right or wrong on what kind of board, bindings and boots you want. It just comes down to what you want and how much you can afford. Everyone has their own personal preferences on what kind of riding they want to do, whether it's mainly terrain parks, back country, etc.

But if you do want reviews on the equipment you can probably find some reviews over on the snowboardingforum.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #107
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Any thoughts?
You have to tell us more info. Start with atleast:

1. Where are you going to ride?
2. What type of riding are you doing mainly (Park, Freeride, all mountain?)
3. How heavy are you and how tall? (sorry for getting personal but I am a really light dude and people never understood some of my board purchases until they realized I am really skinny for my height)

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #108
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
I use the dailies and only use them for sports. Get used to them. It makes life so much easier. I always wear glasses at home, work, daily living etc. but smashing my face every once in a while when riding is inevitable, and doing it with glasses is not an option.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #109
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyx View Post
I'm assuming you're at the intermediate level of snowboarding since you've been going for 4 seasons now. I think at that point there's really no right or wrong on what kind of board, bindings and boots you want. It just comes down to what you want and how much you can afford. Everyone has their own personal preferences on what kind of riding they want to do, whether it's mainly terrain parks, back country, etc.

But if you do want reviews on the equipment you can probably find some reviews over on the snowboardingforum.

There is a right and a wrong in gear decisions.

you wouldn't place a beginner on a stiff board, both lateral and torsional. They'd hate it. A beginner wouldn't be able to take advantage of the contact points and wouldn't even be able to put the board on edge without wearing themselves out.

I see it all too often.

People making wrong decisions on boards, they think it's the best board, because it's the most money. Where in fact, they could enjoy the sport and spend less of their hard earned money on a less costly board and actually take advantage of the surroundings they choose to ride on.

The same goes for boots... but that's not as noticeable.

The board is the number one thing that people make wrong decisions on, and it's really because of media and peer pressure. just because your friend or a pro rider is using it, doesn't mean that you'll be able to use it as well.

Bottom line, every snowboard has a suitable weight range. It's based on YOU. The weight range provides you with flex and pop. Both are different in regards to skis and snowboards.

And when you get better and better, you get stronger and stronger. Thus you can go outside your weight range to a board that seemingly is more suitable for a heavier rider.

race boards, and even half pipe boards are always stiffer in regards to flex because they do need the stability for speed, and in the case of half pipe riding, the ability for stability in landing big airs.

Do your research and if it comes down to it, demo as much gear as much as possible. You'll find each board will react differently to the exact same terrain.

Vangruver is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #110
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
My mistake, I assumed he had an idea of what he was looking for considering he is 4 seasons in. I was gonna suggest to demo or try some boards as well.

I'm still fairly new to the sport also so I'll admit that maybe my advice wasn't the best. My apologies.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #111

Sorry, I should have gave you guys more info.

Yes, I'm an intermediate rider and can do green and blue runs no problem. I don't plan on doing tricks, going off the half pipes, or terrain parks anytime soon. I'd say I mainly will just go downhill with a lot of carving and occasionally hop off a few baby ramps.

I'm 5'6 145lbs. Size 8 goofy. I've owned a 151cm board which worked fine for me but I'm going to need to upgrade it. Based on the inventory on the SportChek website, what can you guys recommend me?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #112

Quote:
Sorry, I should have gave you guys more info.

Yes, I'm an intermediate rider and can do green and blue runs no problem. I don't plan on doing tricks, going off the half pipes, or terrain parks anytime soon. I'd say I mainly will just go downhill with a lot of carving and occasionally hop off a few baby ramps.

I'm 5'6 145lbs. Size 8 goofy. I've owned a 151cm board which worked fine for me but I'm going to need to upgrade it. Based on the inventory on the SportChek website, what can you guys recommend me?
Make a list of all the boards you want to use, and read as many biased [and yes i mean biased] opinions on them.

Google it, watch youtube reviews on it, and just read up on who's riding them.

I say biased opinions, because the reviewer will always have a preference towards a certain type, style, brand, and riding terrain. They will probably love brand x over brand y for some reason.

Now, it's not to say that they won't provide you with information that you'll find suitable, it's just their way of telling the mass majority how THEY find the snowboard.

I could tell you how I find a snowboard, but i'll know for a fact that i won't replicate your mistakes, or won't replicate your riding ability. i'll just tell you how i've found it to handle, and apply to the terrain i've been riding, on that particular day.

However, your particular package choice is wise.

You've chosen an above average snowboard to use, coupled with a very solid set of bindings. However, my only offer of advice on the package is on the boots. Reason being, is my opinion on how you should weigh your purchase, to which I would strongly urge being based around footwear. Spend a wee bit higher than you anticipated, or at least spend more time fitting yourself into as many boots as possible for the one's that provide the best support, and the BEST comfort.

your feet will thank you.

Last edited by Vangruver; 11-05-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #113

Thanks for the advice. I'll look up more reviews and update you guys on what I get. I was under the impression that all entry level gear (like the ones I've chosen) don't vary much in terms of what they have to offer so I just went with the big brand since I'm able to get a big discount.

It was also between the Burton Custom binding or Freestyle binding but the custom was a little more aesthetically pleasing and a bit stiffer.

Edit: I'm probably going to stick with the Burton Clash board and Burton Custom bindings. I'll go test out the Burton Moto and Burton Ruler boots to see which one I like better. The Ruler has a lot more tech than Moto tho and might be worth the difference in pricing.

Last edited by kevin7352; 11-05-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #114
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I'll look up more reviews and update you guys on what I get. I was under the impression that all entry level gear (like the ones I've chosen) don't vary much in terms of what they have to offer so I just went with the big brand since I'm able to get a big discount.

It was also between the Burton Custom binding or Freestyle binding but the custom was a little more aesthetically pleasing and a bit stiffer.

Edit: I'm probably going to stick with the Burton Clash board and Burton Custom bindings. I'll go test out the Burton Moto and Burton Ruler boots to see which one I like better. The Ruler has a lot more tech than Moto tho and might be worth the difference in pricing.
Only thing I can say given the information up above, is go for a shorter board. Not drastically shorter but just a bit. I am 6' and I ride a 154-156.

So given that your 6" shorter than me you can probably make do with 148.

I say this because you are an intermediate rider, so you should still find the board adequately stable and you will start to have more fun on the board, switching from side to side, smaller jumps will be funner, etc.

I'm kinda molding you into a freestyle rider...Lol.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Only thing I can say given the information up above, is go for a shorter board. Not drastically shorter but just a bit. I am 6' and I ride a 154-156.

Don't equate board size to height. My wife is 5'9 140lbs. I'm 5'9 180 lbs. We shouldn't be riding the same size board. Board control is based on pressure. Longer contact from the edge supports more weight. Fat dudes ride giant boards to handle the pressure. Skinny dudes ride short boards to be able to throw around with less struggle being they have less weight for edge transfer, etc. Take into account board length for stance widths for extreme examples, but being you have like 6 inches of adjustment its rarely a factor. Get a board thats long enough or you wont progress very fast. A 148 is fine at 145 lbs if you want to be a jib rat that butters into everything and wears t shirts to your knees, but if you want to have fun cruising and most importantly ride pow, shoot for something long enough. The board size you have been riding is reasonable, up to a 54/55.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #116
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
Quote:
You don't have to limit yourself to Burton. Other brands at Sportchek are great as well. Just try as many boots as you can there. Don't think that you're annoying, because if it doesn't fit well you won't be having any fun at the slopes. And the sales know that.
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #117
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I still ride the no name brand board I picked up at Sportcheck when I started to ride.
I'm 5'7 around 160lbs and I ride a 151 just fine

Can't wait to go to Sunpeaks this year, they have lots of snow already woohoo!
fishCak3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #118
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Ski Bindings might need a tuneup this season, anyone know a good shop?
patrickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishCak3s View Post
I still ride the no name brand board I picked up at Sportcheck when I started to ride.
I'm 5'7 around 160lbs and I ride a 151 just fine

Can't wait to go to Sunpeaks this year, they have lots of snow already woohoo!
Just because you get around on a board "just fine" doesn't mean its the right size for you. I pull out my 148 a couple times a year and can ride it "just fine." The guy is looking for a new board to progress on, there is no point in steering him in any direction other than what a manufacturer (who knows a shitload more about sizing/R&D than we do) suggests for him. All boards have a weight range on them, being in the middle is what you should shoot for depending on the terrain you ride, although they will usually adjust the weight range/size based on the riding style of the board. I'm not trying to be a know it all here, but so often people get stuck on the wrong board and wonder why the fuck they can't progress. Boards REALLY DO make a difference.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #120

^ what kind of board do you ride westopher? I read up on the different types of camber...etc. What would you suggest on mainly moutain crusing and occassional jumps?
Old 11-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishCak3s View Post
^ what kind of board do you ride westopher? I read up on the different types of camber...etc. What would you suggest on mainly moutain crusing and occassional jumps?
I ride a rome agent rocker 159. I hit pretty big jumps but not the biggest ones anymore, ride some backcountry and am a powder hound outside the city and a park rat when riding local. I ride pretty hard and have had 40+ days almost every season for 17 years, so I'd say I ride quite aggressively.
The hybrid camber is by far the best IMO for a blend of playfulness and control/stability. The reverse between the feet with regular camber outside the bindings is incredible for pow days and fairly big jump/fast cruising stability. With my last board which was the opposite design (reverse outside the bindings, and regular between the feet) was pretty squirrely at high speeds, but still awesome in deep snow. If you get a few pow days a year, or are really into trying to, the hybrid camber will give you a good amount of float over a regular board, extending your days by saving your back leg and if you feel like hitting some drops its a lot more like landing on a park jump. Also, you don't need to have your stance super setback or a big board. Reverse camber is fun for deep snow, and rails, but I find it very hard to hit jumps or even have any control on hardpack. It just feels so wobbly. I can comfortably suggest the hybrid camber to anyone who likes to ride anything and doesn't want to limit their riding to one style. Either that or old school camber if you like a lot of edge control on hardpack, but I don't mind sacrificing a bit (and I do mean just a bit) for the playfulness and float of the hybrid.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #122
VLS Head Mod

Fishcakes yeahhhhhh sunpeaks I miss that hill so much, locals here just aren't the same
Posted via RS Mobile
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post

I say this because you are an intermediate rider, so you should still find the board adequately stable and you will start to have more fun on the board, switching from side to side, smaller jumps will be funner, etc.

I'm kinda molding you into a freestyle rider...Lol.

And I'm 5'9" and I ride a 147, a 153, a 155, and a 159. All within my quiver.

I've said it before in previous threads i've replied in. I may weigh 160, but i know that i most certainly don't ride like anyone that is at the same weight range as i.

Yes it's a proven fact, that longer boards equate to higher swing weight, but that only applies to taking the board and trying to spin big numbers. It's the literal difference between spinning a 7, and spinning a 10.

And it's also known [or not] that snowboards can have varying contact/running lengths. giving you the stability to take a shorter board and have it perform [on snow] like a longer board. prime example, is the burton nugget.

So with all these provisions given to you, you should ideally look at all the specs of a snowboard, including laminate, and including the numbers per size. They do make a difference. Even if they're boring tech.

while one board might be a 160, it could have the effecting edge of a board that is a 145, but a HUGE scoop for nose and tail. Making it really effective in powder, where you want the nose of the board to find it's way to the surface, for that float.

This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #124
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Who does good custom ski boot fittings in the lower mainland? I have relatively small feet (size 9) but they are insanely wide. To give you and idea, i had to custom order hockey skates to get something wide enough, even a triple EEE was WAY too skinny. Last pair of ski boots from a shop on the north shore (Destination ski) did a terrible job and they were much too skinny.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywoman View Post
Fishcakes yeahhhhhh sunpeaks I miss that hill so much, locals here just aren't the same
Posted via RS Mobile
Yeah snow's totally different and a lot less people on the runs. I took advantage of the 4 nights for the price of 3 deal awhile back, 2 lift tickets/day incldued for all the days you stay there. Check it out!