REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Public Hearing for Liquor Laws (https://www.revscene.net/forums/688372-public-hearing-liquor-laws.html)

TPMarko 09-18-2013 08:36 AM

Public Hearing for Liquor Laws

Quote:

On Saturday, September 14th, the government launched a website for public input on liquor policy. For the first time in recent memory, the provincial government is listening to the public to formulate its comprehensive review of BC’s liquor laws.

To be clear, this is the first time that the BC government is hearing public opinion on liquor in DECADES, and it will likely be the only time for another decade or two.

The problem is that in less than 3 months, the government is taking input from dozens of stakeholder groups, 9,900 licensees, and of course many more from the public. As one can imagine, the task of compiling and distilling these inputs into policy recommendations is very challenging.

To make our collective voices more pronounced, the Campaign for Culture, BC’s grassroots campaign to modernize our liquor regulations, has put together a letter that you can send outlining the most archaic areas of our liquor laws. You can simply fill out your info and an email will be sent to John Yap on your behalf. Sign your name here!

You can lend your support to the issues Campaign for Culture has been pushing for including:

Removal of the province-wide ban on Happy Hours
Allowing for the responsible enjoyment of liquor at public beaches and parks!
Allowing serving of cocktails at licensed events (festivals, shows, etc)
Allowing for a greater variety of licensed venues (eg. licensed art galleries)
Allowing for sale of local, craft liquor at Farmers Markets
If you have more thoughts on how to improve our liquor laws you can voice them by:

tweeting your thoughts @JohnYap using the #bcliquor hashtag.
visit the government’s liquor consultation website.
* The Campaign for Culture is an independent grassroots organization which has advocated for progressive liquor policy since August 2012. Our goal is to enhance the social and cultural fabric of BC through more sensible liquor laws. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter @CultureBC.
source:
Speak out against B.C.?s draconian liquor laws: it?s time for reform! | Vancity Buzz | Vancouver Events, News, Food, Lifestyle and More

hopefully this isn't a repost. i, for one, would like to see happy hours in BC at least. being able to drink responsibly at parks/beach would be nice too but that may get ugly since we know vancouverites can't handle their shit.

TatsuyaKataoka 09-18-2013 08:43 AM

About time. That video game bar, EXP, was done in by these fucked up liquor laws. A real pity.

Everymans 09-18-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TatsuyaKataoka (Post 8322596)
About time. That video game bar, EXP, was done in by these fucked up liquor laws. A real pity.

What do you mean by done in? Last time I tried to go there it had a 30 minute line.

TatsuyaKataoka 09-18-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everymans (Post 8322598)
What do you mean by done in? Last time I tried to go there it had a 30 minute line.

Wow, really? I thought they had closed down. It made headlines.

urrh 09-18-2013 01:11 PM

i thought it closed down too

SoNaRWaVe 09-18-2013 02:55 PM

i don't think it got closed but they were delayed the grand opening date.

rsx 09-18-2013 05:42 PM

Yes to all. This should be a 10 minute "public hearing" How we're still practicing laws from the prohibition days is beyond me.

westopher 09-19-2013 12:15 AM

Allowing for the responsible enjoyment of liquor at public beaches and parks!
:fullofwin:
This here.
Last weekend we decided to ditch the standard rehearsal dinner for our wedding and invited everyone to the beach for a bbq. Like 40 of us, well behaved ranging from 24-74 years old all enjoying some bbq and some secret drinks out of our solo cups. I couldn't help chuckle that 40 of us were all breaking the law, while being probably a far cry from a nuisance to anyone. 830 hit, we cleaned up without a trace, and were back home polishing some drinks off to head to the bar. Drunk and disorderly fines UP please. Drinking in public fines down. Makes sense right? If you are a drunk asshole, fuck you, pay up. If you are enjoying 3 or 4 drinks on a hot summer day and wading in the ocean with some friends and playing frisbee, carry on, because you are awesome at having fun.

TatsuyaKataoka 09-19-2013 07:01 AM

Oh yeah, and I could do without seeing these on the beaches every day in summer:

http://www.vancouverobserver.com/sit...ach_patrol.jpg

We don't need our hand held, Moonbeam. The whole point is to avoid the moniker of "No Fun City", not reinforce it.

Mike Oxbig 09-19-2013 09:30 AM

If it was in any other province sure... BC have just too many drunk red necks who aren't responsible for themselves after drinking.

GGnoRE 09-19-2013 02:06 PM

Extend liquor store hours til mignight

coolname 09-19-2013 04:32 PM

i really want to see drinking age limits like in the Netherlands, 16 for beer and wine, 18 for for everything else.

Manic! 09-19-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolname (Post 8323727)
i really want to see drinking age limits like in the Netherlands, 16 for beer and wine, 18 for for everything else.

Terrible idea. You can get just as hammered off beer as you can with hard. Also do you want kids drinking at school?

rsx 09-19-2013 05:48 PM

I think they should include drinking and driving law changes. Some people get super pissed after 2 beers, while others are completely fine after 5.

I'd rather have a motorskills and cognitive test than a generalized blood alcohol one. Sally 2 beers shouldn't be compared to Frank the tank. That being said, drinking and driving shouldn't be encouraged, etc, etc etc. Just trying to be pragmatic about the situation.

coolname 09-19-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8323743)
Terrible idea. You can get just as hammered off beer as you can with hard.

You can but it is much harder, most people will throw up before they give themselves alcohol poisoning by drinking beer, but it isnt exactly that hard to get alcohol poisoning from vodka, especially if someone doesnt know their limit yet

Snowden 09-20-2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolname (Post 8324023)
You can but it is much harder, most people will throw up before they give themselves alcohol poisoning by drinking beer, but it isnt exactly that hard to get alcohol poisoning from vodka, especially if someone doesnt know their limit yet

you just drink more beer, what's so hard about that

Manic! 09-20-2013 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowden (Post 8324066)
you just drink more beer, what's so hard about that

You have to drink a lot more liquid and that takes time plus you have to take piss stops. With hard you could just take a bunch of shots.

Hurricane 09-20-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8323743)
Terrible idea. You can get just as hammered off beer as you can with hard. Also do you want kids drinking at school?

What a stupid argument.

BRB all high schools in the Netherlands are full of drunk students 24/7.

Also, you can get just as hammered off of mouthwash and cooking wine as you can off of beer. See what I did there?

The real problem is Canadian (American, English and Australian also) drinking culture. Alcohol is not consumed responsibly by younger people. As soon as they are old enough to have it, they go on binge drinking blackout rampages for a few years.

Too much bad shit happens as a result of drinking in the aforementioned countries.

Explain to me why these issues do not exist in Japan, Italy, France, and other developed nations? The only major difference is the culture of alcohol use. In all those other countries, younger people learn to enjoy alcohol from an earlier age in general. They learn it is not a tool to do stupid shit, but rather an accompaniment to a complete meal.

Could you imagine if half the restaurants in downtown started offering all you can drink alcohol for $15 for 3 hours starting tomorrow.

What a mess that would be. Its kind of unfortunate.

Hurricane 09-20-2013 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8324074)
You have to drink a lot more liquid and that takes time plus you have to take piss stops. With hard you could just take a bunch of shots.

Are you arguing against yourself here?? WTF

Manic! 09-20-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurricane (Post 8324095)
What a stupid argument.

Also, you can get just as hammered off of mouthwash and cooking wine as you can off of beer. See what I did there?

The real problem is Canadian (American, English and Australian also) drinking culture. Alcohol is not consumed responsibly by younger people. As soon as they are old enough to have it, they go on binge drinking blackout rampages for a few years.

Too much bad shit happens as a result of drinking in the aforementioned countries.

Explain to me why these issues do not exist in Japan, Italy, France, and other developed nations? The only major difference is the culture of alcohol use. In all those other countries, younger people learn to enjoy alcohol from an earlier age in general. They learn it is not a tool to do stupid shit, but rather an accompaniment to a complete meal.

Could you imagine if half the restaurants in downtown started offering all you can drink alcohol for $15 for 3 hours starting tomorrow.

France sees sharp rise in alcohol-related emergency hospitalisations | Mail Online

Lomac 09-20-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurricane (Post 8324095)
What a stupid argument.

It does happen in said countries. It's just not as widespread as it is here.

Manic! 09-20-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurricane (Post 8324096)
Are you arguing against yourself here?? WTF

Alcohol poisoning and being drunk are 2 different things. It's pretty hard to get Alcohol poisoning from beer (is it even possible?).

TatsuyaKataoka 09-20-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8324285)
It does happen in said countries. It's just not as widespread as it is here.

Because in these countries, people are exposed to alcohol at an early age. Parents in France will let their kids have half a glass of wine with dinner, so the concept of "drinking in moderation" is hammered (lol) home.

Here in North America, we have a puritan attitude (remember the US was the last country to abolish prohibition) which uses age cutoffs and punishments instead of education, so teenagers don't know how to act properly around alcohol. Thus the binge drinking. It's a vicious cycle.

white rocket 09-20-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8323337)
If you are a drunk asshole, fuck you, pay up. If you are enjoying 3 or 4 drinks on a hot summer day and wading in the ocean with some friends and playing frisbee, carry on, because you are awesome at having fun.

mutha fuckin THIS!! :thumbs:

Manic! 09-20-2013 01:27 PM

Minimum drinking age is 18 in France for public places. No limit for private.