REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 09-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Lens and Camera warranty registration

Do you guys register your lens and camera warranties right away when you make a purchase?

Does Nikon Canada have time limits on when you should register? Or you don't need to register, only when you need to send it in?
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse View Post
Do you guys register your lens and camera warranties right away when you make a purchase?

Does Nikon Canada have time limits on when you should register? Or you don't need to register, only when you need to send it in?
The only warranties I've ever registered were my Sigma 30 and 50 1.4. The 30 because it added 2 additional years to the warranty. The 50 because it told me that I needed to.

I shoot Canon, and never had to send anything in. That said, I do read pretty much everything in the box when I buy something, and didn't notice Canon saying anything specific about registering any warranties.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
Got MOD?

Never registered the Tamron I bought 4 years ago. I hope they still warranty it. I filled out the online registration just now anyways hehe.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #4

Thanked 4,736 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
yep, at least when i buy from Broadway Camera. they do it.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #5

I want to send in my Sigma lens to Gentec in Ontario to get it calibrated to make the focusing sharper. Anyone do something similar? I guess I have to send in my camera body too.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #6

Quote:
I want to send in my Sigma lens to Gentec in Ontario to get it calibrated to make the focusing sharper. Anyone do something similar? I guess I have to send in my camera body too.
Just did it.

Here are some tips from my experience:
  • If you shoot Canon, be prepared to send your body in. Give them a call to be 100% sure, but I had to send in my 50D with my 30 1.4
  • Send it yourself. I sent it though London Drugs because that's where I bought it. Yes I didn't have to pay shipping there. That said, I was never given shipping numbers because "they use their warehouse network to ship it to Gentec." Believe me, it's worth your time and effort to do it yourself. MAYBE if you bought it from an actual camera store, they'll be better.
  • Be prepared to be without a camera for a while. When I sent mine in on August 7, there was a 30-day turnaround. Count the transit time, and you could be wihtout a camera for a good 6-8 weeks. It's now almost October, and still no camera coming back my way.

I really do regret not sending it in myself. In the time without a camera, I ended up just upgrading to a full frame. Sometimes I think I just did it to bide my time, but that said I'm all in for ff. Once the camera comes back from Gentec, it's going to be sold off.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #7

Thanks for the tips.
Wow 6-8 weeks is a long time! Do they really need to take that long to calibrate a lens?
Posted via RS Mobile
Amuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the tips.
Wow 6-8 weeks is a long time! Do they really need to take that long to calibrate a lens?
Posted via RS Mobile
They're extremely backed up. When I called they said the actual process takes no more than a couple of days. The problem was the 30 day queue.