REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 09-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
ND Filter- if you could only buy 2, which "stop-values"?

Hi everyone,

So I'm looking to buy some circular ND filters (either from maxsaver or bh), and I'm looking to only get 2. One is likely a high-stop one (Hoya has a 9 stop, B+W and Singh-Ray have 10s).

A few questions:
  • For the other one, what stop value do you guys suggest? Is a 2 stop even worth it? 3? Would 4 be getting up there in lack of flexibility?
  • Is there a big difference between the 9 and 10 stop ND filters? There's a significant price jump (mainly because we're talking B+W/Singh-Ray now), and I'm thinking the reduction of a stop won't yield noticeable differences for what I'm planning on shooting.
  • I plan to use the ND filters during night/dusk/dawn shots 80% of the time, with the other 20% being daylight water (thinking water sheds and rivers) and daylight cloud shots (which is why I ask about the difference between the 9 and 10).

Thanks in advance for your input!
Advertisement
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I'd get a 10-stop and a 3-stop. I don't think there's a massive difference between 10 and 9 but it would depend on the price jump.

Most of the time these days I use a variable ND.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #3

Thanks I think that's what I'm going to go with.

As for Variable NDs, which one do you use? The two filters together would just come up under the price of the Hoya on maxsaver. The Singh-Ray is definitely out of my price range.

I read/watched some reviews on the variables. I plan on using it on my 17-40 for landscapes/water, and they almost all mentioned a "cross/X" issue. My question to you is have you used yours on a UWA, and did you see that issue?

And I guess while I have the thread up, is maxsaver still the best place to get filters? All of mine from there are still going strong, and seem to all be legit. BH is the only other place I looked at, but it's an extra $50 taking into account customs, shipping, and just being slightly more expensive than maxsaver.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
...in the world.

I have the Genus Eclipse, which is both reasonably priced ($180 for 77mm) and well rated. No color cast that I see and no cross pattern on my 24mm. It's slightly noticeable at 24mm and the darkest setting about halfway between 7 and 8-stop.

If you're planning on using something wider than 24m (35 is really the limit for variable NDs), then get square filters like the Lee Big Stopper.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

There's an article about Long Exposure photography in Photohaus by Mark Koegel of Vancouver Photo Workshops that may be of interest to you...

http://issuu.com/photohaus/docs/phot...sue_4_final_on

(doesn't work on Chrome, works on IE and FF)

He doesn't recommend using a variable ND filter due to ease of use and consistency. He does recommend using a 6-stop and 10-stop.
laqvrai is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
...in the world.

Honestly, I bought the variable ND for video but since 10-stop filters are so stupid expensive, I thought what the hell and just kept using this one.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,263 Times in 300 Posts
I have a 9 stop hoya, Love it, but its only a 67mm so I can't use it on my newer wider lenses (17-40)

I did at one point buy a 77mm variable (cameron maybe?) and it was horrible, I returned it after testing it in my room. I gave a HUGE X pattern, probably a 4 stop difference between the darker sections and the lighter ones
Old 09-21-2013, 01:11 AM   #8

Thanks for the great replies! As for where you guys buy... Any other good places other than the two I mentioned earlier?
Old 09-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
I agree with Ronin: I have 3 & 10 stop B+W filters.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote