REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Massey Tunnel will be replaced by a bridge (https://www.revscene.net/forums/688457-massey-tunnel-will-replaced-bridge.html)

Traum 09-20-2013 11:02 AM

Massey Tunnel will be replaced by a bridge

Massey Tunnel will be replaced by a bridge | News1130

Quote:

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – Premiers in BC have a history of dropping big news during their speeches at the Union of BC Municipalities convention, and Christy Clark has lived up to that.

“Today, I’m pleased to announced that starting in 2017, we will be breaking the worst bottleneck in the Lower Mainland by building a new bridge to replace the George Massey Tunnel,” announced Clark this morning.

The tunnel was built in the late 1950s.
The first thing that came to my mind is -- Crusty Clown better not make this a toll bridge.

I am generally in favour of user pays systems, so I didn't really have a problem with the Port Mann being the toll bridge that it is. With the Massey Tunnel replacement bridge, however, having a toll bridge would effectively become an unfair penalty to the Delta / Ladner / Tsawwassen resident since they pretty much have to come out to Richmond to conduct their regular daily businesses. The same thing did not occur in Surrey because Surrey is a well developed municipality itself, so residents can already obtain most (all?) of their basic services and needs without leaving Surrey. But that is not an option for those living in Delta / Ladner / Tsawwassen.

p.s. And if the replacement bridge is tolled, that means I won't be able to do any Pt Robert gas runs any more. :badpokerface:

TatsuyaKataoka 09-20-2013 11:10 AM

I'm for it if there's accommodation for transit, like the #555 bus over the new Port Mann.

I used to take the #601 to Tssawassen when I was picking stuff up from Point Roberts, and the bottlenecks at both ends of the tunnel where there's no HOV lane were really annoying.

yray 09-20-2013 11:56 AM

How long will the run up to the bridge have to be?

Inb4 Cracks due to ricemond mud :lawl:

punkwax 09-20-2013 11:59 AM

Thought I read somewhere that any new bridge being built will likely be tolled...

Wonder if there would be an exception just to please the Americans who take 99 downtown. Having to pay a toll (on top of getting raped for gas/clothes/food/alcohol the list goes on and on...) to visit our City may affect tourism, no?

As for Ladner, Tsawassen people - guess they would be forced to head south rather than north?

melloman 09-20-2013 12:00 PM

I hope it gets tolled.. so it's "fair" for everybody in the GVRD.

Acura604 09-20-2013 12:06 PM

it WILL be tolled.... approx. 80,000 crossers a day... lol.. Liberals will have $$$ in their eyes.

vafanculo 09-20-2013 12:20 PM

I can't see any new bridges being not tolled. People gotta cross. Government officials need to line their pockets.
Posted via RS Mobile

Traum 09-20-2013 12:27 PM

I agree that it seems a lot more likely for the new bridge to be tolled. But that's where my argument in post #1 comes in -- the Ladner and Tsawwassen residents are gonna get fxxked if that were allowed to happen.

dinosaur 09-20-2013 01:27 PM

What's that pseudo-rule? if there are other options, it can/will be tolled....if it is the ONLY option, it won't be?

I think I read that somewhere, no? This is why the new Pitt River Bridge isn't tolled.

It most likely will be tolled because the Alex Fraser is free, which is lame because traffic sucks already. A lot of South Surrey and White Rock residents take the tunnel as well so that will just push more traffic to the AF.

I can attest that people avoid tolls....New West is a fucking traffic nightmare now that the Port Mann is tolled. There has been a dramatic increase to traffic along all the feeder routes to the Patullo Bridge....I wish I could find it now, but there was an article in the local paper with a bunch of stats that support what everyone has noted.

I'd like to see what would happen if the Province reduce the toll price...I think if it was cheaper usership would increase.

Traum 09-20-2013 02:54 PM

Courtesy of a friend:

I am 99.9% certain it will be a tolled bridge now. :lawl:

BBMme 09-20-2013 03:22 PM

I really hope they don't put a toll on it:( but I won't be surprise if they do
Posted via RS Mobile

Coren 09-20-2013 03:30 PM

I bet the liberals will use the bridge as a selling point to get votes on the next provincial election. They will constantly be "deciding" if it will be tolled and after the election is over they have decided it will be a toll bridge.

tiger_handheld 09-20-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8324224)
Massey Tunnel will be replaced by a bridge | News1130

The first thing that came to my mind is -- Crusty Clown better not make this a toll bridge.

I am generally in favour of user pays systems, so I didn't really have a problem with the Port Mann being the toll bridge that it is. With the Massey Tunnel replacement bridge, however, having a toll bridge would effectively become an unfair penalty to the Delta / Ladner / Tsawwassen resident since they pretty much have to come out to Richmond to conduct their regular daily businesses. The same thing did not occur in Surrey because Surrey is a well developed municipality itself, so residents can already obtain most (all?) of their basic services and needs without leaving Surrey. But that is not an option for those living in Delta / Ladner / Tsawwassen.

p.s. And if the replacement bridge is tolled, that means I won't be able to do any Pt Robert gas runs any more. :badpokerface:

lol WUT?

Just like the north of fraser folk told south fraser folk .. you got alternatives...

alex fraser to go to richmond
delta folk can cross into surrey

What I hope will not happen is the Richmond folk get a nice paved highway from steveston to vancouver that they dont have to pay dime for. just like the coquitlam folk don't have to pay for a good 20+ km of new paved highway.

Also I hope that they put up a toll system starting now with a toll of .25cents. Use that monies to pay for the bridge in 2017. instead of charging $4 in 2017.

StylinRed 09-20-2013 04:05 PM

$5 each pass and 10yrs of slow downs due to construction $1 of tolls going to pay for the construction a $1 going to maintenance and $3 going to the toll collection company ;)

TatsuyaKataoka 09-20-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8324385)
Also I hope that they put up a toll system starting now with a toll of .25cents. Use that monies to pay for the bridge in 2017. instead of charging $4 in 2017.

That is contingent on this government making decisions that aren't totally boneheaded.

fliptuner 09-20-2013 05:00 PM

Damn, that looks a lot like the Alex Fraser Bridge.

twitchyzero 09-20-2013 06:45 PM

in before crazy ice chunks fall on your windshield

fliptuner 09-20-2013 07:02 PM

Notice where the cables are? lol

Soundy 09-20-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodnarb (Post 8324259)
Wonder if there would be an exception just to please the Americans who take 99 downtown. Having to pay a toll (on top of getting raped for gas/clothes/food/alcohol the list goes on and on...) to visit our City may affect tourism, no?

No. Most major American cities have tolled roads and/or bridges of some sort. Doesn't seem to affect their tourism. A $10 toll on the Coquihalla didn't affect tourism.

Americans going to Whistler to drop $300+/day on accommodations, food, lift tickets, etc., is not going to stay away because they have to pay a $3 toll each way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vafanculo (Post 8324268)
I can't see any new bridges being not tolled. People gotta cross. Bridges gotta get paid for.
Posted via RS Mobile

Fixed. Unless you have another viable funding option.

Lomac 09-20-2013 07:16 PM

Of course it'll be tolled. :lol

Honestly, though, they should have done this before the Highway1 project. Going over the Port Mann was bad, true enough, but the Massey Tunnel is pure hell. I used to do it everyday and I haaaaaaaaaaaaaated it. Even going the Alex Fraser route isn't much faster, thanks to that one random red light intersection.

MG1 09-20-2013 09:24 PM

I had a taste of that shitty drive the other day. I usually go Alex Fraser on the way home from US shopping, but went through Massey instead. Worst decision ever. I don't know how people do it.

JesseBlue 09-20-2013 09:33 PM

They better damn toll this bridge...and no i don't use it but hey...its fair right...i think oak and knight are getting pretty old as well...blow it up and build a new one...and you guessed it...toll it...:ilied:

meme405 09-20-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8324482)
Even going the Alex Fraser route isn't much faster, thanks to that one random red light intersection.

Seriously though, that gets me every time. There must have been another way.

Soundy 09-20-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8324550)
Seriously though, that gets me every time. There must have been another way.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/68247...e-removed.html

CP.AR 09-20-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8324538)
I had a taste of that shitty drive the other day. I usually go Alex Fraser on the way home from US shopping, but went through Massey instead. Worst decision ever. I don't know how people do it.

We say hi to the people next to us who are stuck in traffic.
like really... I knew the staples truck guy and we see everyday, so I wave and say hi when I can