REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

Mercedes/BMW CPO Cars Markup

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a BMW or MB CPO car. Are they firm on the asking price? Usually how much markup is included in the asking price? Thanks for any info.
Advertisement
PC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
HELP ME PLS!!!

i find them less willing to go down on used cars as compared to new ones
Last edited by sexyaccord on 69-69-6969 at 69:69 PM
sexyaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
^^ this. Usually there is a bit less room to move on the price, and often finance rates are higher for used vehicles if done through the dealership. But you can be more demanding with asking them to put on an extended warranty (since its cert pre owned, not just any old lot car) And do some maintenance like oil/tires/brakes before you take possession
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

It depends on how long their car have been setting in their drive way. I got some pretty sweet deals on mines.
Posted via RS Mobile
BBMme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

someone in the industry can correct me if I'm wrong, but used cars have very large mark ups as far as I know. if it's a lease return, then the dealership will have made a lot of money from the car already from leasing. and for trade-ins, the dealership usually lowballs the heck outta the owner for that vehicle.

my brother bought a used BMW from Autowest a few years back. the sales person was an acquaintance of mine, he said he could give a 7% discount without batting an eye.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_blossom View Post
someone in the industry can correct me if I'm wrong, but used cars have very large mark ups as far as I know. if it's a lease return, then the dealership will have made a lot of money from the car already from leasing. and for trade-ins, the dealership usually lowballs the heck outta the owner for that vehicle.

my brother bought a used BMW from Autowest a few years back. the sales person was an acquaintance of mine, he said he could give a 7% discount without batting an eye.
This is true. Anyone that has ever traded in a car knows this. Craigslist low ballers will probably offer more money than big dealerships.
Posted via RS Mobile
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_blossom View Post

Depends on how the dealership picked up the car. Even if it was from a previous lease, it's still worth x amount and it's still in their inventory for x amount. They'll avoid selling it for less than that at all costs.

Dealerships lowball for trade-ins because that's literally how much they'll make out of that car. If you're going to sell it on CL for 35k, they're obviously going to give you lower than that; otherwise they'd sell it for above 35k for their margins and nobody would look at it if examples are available on CL for much less.

RE the 7% discount, if their profit margin is bigger than that there's no reason not to drop the 7% to sell you the car. The big dealerships are more about volume than the actual dollar amount. If they can move 10,000 cars with a 5% margin over 5000 cars with a 10% margin, it's a win for them.
RicePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #8
I STILL don't get it

My family just picked up a CPO GLK recently, we managed to talk them down a little bit, but they weren't willing to go much lower than what they listed. Ended up with about 7% off the listed price.
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
^^ this. Usually there is a bit less room to move on the price, and often finance rates are higher for used vehicles if done through the dealership. But you can be more demanding with asking them to put on an extended warranty (since its cert pre owned, not just any old lot car) And do some maintenance like oil/tires/brakes before you take possession
Posted via RS Mobile
Well it really depends.

If you're looking at CPO vehicles, usually the manufacturer have sub-vented rates. For example BMW offers 0.9% up to 48 months for 2012 models however it's regardless if it's CPO'd or not. Was shopping for one recently.

And usually already includes an extended warranty, though in most cases for Powertrain only. Though as a CPO vehicle, all one is really paying for is an extended warranty, backed by the manufacturer. From what I was given in terms of info, the cost to CPO a 3 series BMW is $1,295. Which give or take, is pretty much the cost of an extended warranty if you are to believe the figure that was given to me.

But in terms of how much room each car has, it's very dependant on how the dealer obtained it. If it's a trade-in or off lease vehicle, there will always be a decent amount of leeway. However if it was a relatively new vehicle that came out of a lease way before it's period ended (1 year out of 3 or 4 years) or if it was a company car/demo, there won't be as much room as it'll have cost more up front and with a company car or demo, it's the amount that they can claim based on mileage for tax purposes.

Shop wisely and good luck!
Timbits93 is offline   Reply With Quote