REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #51
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ To add, if the US default, economists are speculating that this will be another 2008 economic recession, but worse.
Advertisement
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #52
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
^^ How will it affect our hosuing market then? Will it tank or will it go up?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #53
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
^^ How will it affect our hosuing market then? Will it tank or will it go up?
you wouldnt know....
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #54
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
This is going to be interesting to watch. We have the combination of a few factors in history all coming together right now to make for one hell of a show.

Shutdown 1995.

There are Republicans that are FURIOUS that the house backed down in the last shutdown. Remember this is the time that we had a democrat president, and a republican controlled house. This isn't the first time they've used their position to stalemate the government.

They actually went on to have a very successful time in America as a result. The republicans reigned in spending and Clinton had to focus on key initiatives.

Debt Ceiling 2011

The republicans got some pretty big points out of the last game of brinkmanship. Obama backed down. They played the card once and know that they can get what they want if they stand firm.

But now to try the same trick again, Obama may have to call them out on it.

And Obamacare

The stakes are too high. Obama cannot afford to look at all weak on Obamacare. It's been his signature piece of his presidency.

All of these line up to have too many people that have too much to risk to back down.

There are a large portion of the country that sees that anything goes in terms of eliminating Obamacare, and fully support the republicans in the cause. I don't see it as a majority of any kind. Even Boner himself is having to be the face of this thing and may not even fully support them.

They are singing hard that the president isn't willing to negotiate, and I don't think a lot of people are agreeing on it.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #55
Banned By Establishment

Makes me want to throat punch the guy.

I will agree with him on one thing, and that is the democrats seem to think that the Republican house should just go along with the administration, which really flies against the very premise of the American system. People didn't vote in a "democratish" house...they voted for republicans(when they could vote, and weren't black and gerrymandering didn't fuck up the process).

Honestly, you have to go from crisis to crisis to get things done, otherwise things wouldn't get done. Democrats will always spend more and tax more. Republicans will always spend less and tax less. There SHOULD be more of a system of cross negotiation to get things done, but there isn't, and there won't be until 2016. The democrats didn't come in to form the administration as feeling a need to coordinate with republicans, in fact he told them they could take the back seat.

That's great, but that isn't how American politics has EVER gone, and in 2010 they got the result.

Some of the republicans may be a bit moronic, but they aren't as a group, stupid.

And both sides right now are playing the waiting game to gain as much leverage over the other leading up to October 17th, which is why he keeps saying, "Obama knows where to call me". Meanwhile, the democrats are doing everything possible to make the shutdown affect the population and clear as many people out of offices as possible.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #56
My homepage has been set to RS

How many times can someone say "have a conversation.".....?

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #57
My homepage has been set to RS

I agree with a lot of what he has to say about the budget and spending more than you have. I just dont agree with his tactics of holding obamacare hostage over it. If he really cared about his country he would negotiate.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #58
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
This whole shutdown tactic was planned long ago. The democrats have done nothing but give in to republican budget demands and set a budget even lower than what even the most radical republicans initially demanded. The Democrats have been giant pussies time and time again and are doing a horrible counter job despite having tons of ammo and holding all the right cards. Its so frustrating.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #59
The sound of inevitability

I see a lot of people blaming the republicans here.

While I am not a republican - nor a democrat as of lately..
I have to say that both are at fault.

The reality is that the government is bought out.

Lobbying? That's just word for paying off..

I think one of the worst offenders is the Isreal Lobby. It's responsible for a lot of the issues the world has with the US foreign policy.
And that in it self is just the tip of the iceberg..
These analysts you see on TV that advocate the Syrian war for example, it was found out that they have a huge stake in the US going to war.

It's a nation that won't really last long. Maybe our life time , but I don't see a bigger future if things don't change.

The only ocean creature you can call yourself is the giant squid. He's the destroyer of ships, and the eater of seamen. At least you share one of those traits.
-Hypa

mixed girls that look predominatly asian with subtle caucasian features=what i'd give my left nut for
-6chr0nic4
The7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #60
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
I agree with a lot of what he has to say about the budget and spending more than you have. I just dont agree with his tactics of holding obamacare hostage over it. If he really cared about his country he would negotiate.
What's there to negotiate, a law? Then what is the point of having a Judiciary Branch of government?

It's a principle that has been established since the beginning of the Constitution, and for reason. It's to protect the people from unfair rule and this is essentially what's happening right now. This move is illegal, plain and simple, it can't be justified.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #61
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
How many times can someone say "have a conversation.".....?
Because everything American politicians say is canned. It's scripted...written by their speechwriters and then dimwits like Johnny Boner here repeats their buzzwords over and over while they say to themselves in their heads "Please don't let me say anything stupid..."

Look at Rick Perry. Look at...that Pizza dude...Herman Cain. They're morons with money that somehow lucked themselves into power and couldn't resist their natural moron tendencies and harpooned their own chances by opening their gob on their own in a brief moment where they forgot what they were spoonfed to say.

All Boner here is trying to do is put one idea in the heads of the American people: that this is Obama's fault because he won't have a conversation. No matter what question he's asked, he will make this point.

Why? Because that's American politics...because the vast majority of America is so stupid that they can only understand small snippets of information. Especially heavy Republican states. Playing Republican politics is like trying to teach a parrot to talk. You just repeat things over and over until the parrot says it themselves. All they are is a race to the bottom...catering to the lowest common denominator to get votes. They know their voter base doesn't understand the real issues so they try to make points on an emotional basis. It would probably surprise most Republicans that they actually support most of the policies in Obamacare...but hate Obama because he's black and they were told to.

Look at the speech patterns of any Republican, especially the Tea Party ones, and tell me I'm wrong.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #62
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,219 Times in 1,961 Posts
Sadly, the real losers in all this are the citizens to take it up both ends by these almost self-elected rich, powertripping fucktards who only want to satisfy their own agenda. They want money and power and what better way to earn both than by participating in a large group who share the same goals.

And that is pretty much how governments work from my observations.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #63
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

ideologically...I actually support the republican (i.e. make your own money, limited social handout, support businesses...etc)

But nowadays, they all feels like a bunch of crooks, hypocrites, double standard selfish bastards who will lie and cheat to get their ways...

I think their supports are going down not because people hate the republican's ideology...people just hate the politicians (who lacks integrity and ethic) running it now
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #64
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Old 10-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #65
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
The rethuglicans are butthurt after obamacare became law,
the supreme court OKed obamacare and BO got re-elected on obamacare.
I think they're afraid it'll work.

Drunk Dial Congress
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #66
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbar View Post
The rethuglicans are butthurt after obamacare became law,
the supreme court OKed obamacare and BO got re-elected on obamacare.
I think they're afraid it'll work.

Drunk Dial Congress
Oh....its not going to work.

This isn't about Obamacare working. So not going to work.

This is about Obamacare breaking the current system so completely that the answer becomes Universal Single Pay.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #67
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,212 Times in 1,397 Posts
Deadline is midnight tonight. Can anyone explain it to me like I'm five, the repercussions it would have for Canada if those asshats don't figure something out by then?
Posted via RS Mobile
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #68
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
CAD spikes compared to USD, people who buy online happy. Companies who sell to the US will be insanely unhappy as it makes Canadian products even more noncompetitive than even a decade ago. Any spending by the US government that was going to affect Canada (ie: infrastructure spending that would buy Canadian products) will be gone.

Technically, the US will default on all its debts owing. As for what that actually means, nobody really knows because no other country in a similar first-world position has ever done anything like this.

If you wanted to make a comparison, it would be like you, knowing that you were going to be getting a raise in future, refusing to go to the bank to ask for a higher credit limit so that you could pay off the bills that you already owe.

Many republicans believe in being 'fiscally responsible' in the sense of spending less. Great. Awesome. Wicked. Sadly, just as many if not more seem to believe that 'fiscally responsible' means not paying the debts that they already owe; which is the main issue with the defaults as they stand now.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #69
Banned By Establishment

Dollar increases in comparison to US, causing export market strain, which is a moot point because our primary market is the US.

Bond rates in the US would rise, constricting their economy's ability to loan momney, causing a recession for sure, depression maybe.

Right now, there is a senate bill that passes the buck AGAIN into the new year where they'll talk shit AGAIN about what is needed to pass another debt ceiling/fund gov't bill AGAIN. It gets the republicans out of the jam they are in, and Boehner, the speaker of the house is already calling defeat on whatever it was they were trying to accomplish in the first place.

It seemed pretty legit that the democrats would let them default the debt instead of negotiating parts of Obamacare, and poll after poll was basically saying that everyone everywhere blamed the republicans.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #70
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
So are we fucked or what?
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #71
HELP ME PLS!!!

I think this guy says it best about the current economic situation.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #72
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
So are we fucked or what?
or what
Old 10-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #73
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
The House of Representatives have passed a bill to reopen the government, debt ceiling has been raised; the shutdown ends

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/16/politics/shutdown-showdown/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #74
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ Open for another few months, then back to the negotiation table again. This will be a recurring cycle.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #75
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote