REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
Port Moody man fined $1000 for road rage incident

Port Moody man fined heavily for road rage incident | News1130

Quote:
PORT MOODY (NEWS1130) – A driver in Port Moody has been fined more than $1,000 after an apparent road rage incident. It happened around 10 a.m. yesterday on St. John’s Street, near Mary Street.

“Apparently, one driver took exception to another driver’s speed,” says Cst. Luke Van Winkle. “After yelling at the driver to slow down, a 39-year-old Port Moody resident threw a pen at the other person’s vehicle.”

The other driver is a 21-year-old from Port Coquitlam, and the officer says the younger man “changed lanes in front of the first vehicle, which resulted in a collision.”

The incident escalated from there. Van Winkle says the 21-year-old got out of his car to confront the man who had thrown the pen. “He began yelling at the driver and banging on his hood.”

Police say the older driver, concerned for his safety, decided to leave. Van Winkle says the younger man was knocked to the ground as the driver pulled away.

“The 21-year-old was taken to hospital was taken to hospital for minor injuries to his arm, and the 39-year-old was dealt with by police. He was issued a variety of tickets, including failure to remain at the scene of an accident, failing to render assistance, and driving without due care.”

He says each ticket is over $350. The 21-year-old has not been ticketed.

“We were fortunate enough to have a witness who watched everything go down and then followed the [39-year-old] home and was calling us, letting us know the license plate,” says the officer.

“If you’re upset when you’re out on the road, please don’t try to take matters into your own hands,” he adds. “Call the police using your hands-free. We can deal with these issues.”

“You don’t want to get yourself hurt over a traffic complaint.”
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
do we all have police phone numbers on their cell phones because we are not supposed to use 911 for this? i wish we had a common number that works for all municipalities/cities so i can just speedial one number.

EDIT: i am wrong. according to Soundy you are supposed to call 911 and the operator will decide whether it is an emergency or not: http://www.revscene.net/forums/68880...ml#post8331832
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 10-03-2013 at 09:01 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
Old School RS

Thanked 3,930 Times in 1,197 Posts
So to clarify... The 21 year old changed lanes and caused a collision, then got out of his car to verbally intimidate the 39 year old driver, but only the older driver was issued fines? They clearly both did things that were wrong in this situation...
Old 10-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
The 39 year old instigated the entire thing though. People need to realize that other people don't give a fuck what they think about their situation and mind their own business.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Maybe I’m not understanding this because of the way its written.

Young guy speeds past old guy. Old guy yells and tosses a pen out the window hitting young guys car.

Young guy pulls in front, presumably breaking, Old guy hits him.

Young guy gets out and starts yelling and banging on the hood of the Old guys car.

Old guy leaves scene as his is scared for his safety, running over young guy in process.

Yeah, old guy should get tickets and probably charged, he ran over young guy and left scene, He could have stopped down the road and called the cops. But it sounds like young guy may be at least partly to blame here, no? Getting out and trying to intimidate another driver, banging on the hood of the car etc., seems like that needs to be addressed.
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
I can understand getting mad if someone's driving excessively slow ... but if someone's driving fast (past you, on presumably a 2-lane street), honestly, it has next to zero effect on you

Dummy got mad for no reason and instigated conflict, then he bitched out when the younger guy confronted him. Defend your opinion or don't hold one at all
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
The older man must have extremely quick reactions if he threw a pen at a speeding car. Unless he caught up to him. Which would imply that he sped too?
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
The 39 year old instigated the entire thing though. People need to realize that other people don't give a fuck what they think about their situation and mind their own business.
I half agree. Certainly tossing something out the window at another car, way out of line. Also if someone is driving faster than you, if there is a fast lane, stay out of it. It’s not up to anyone but the police to regulate someone’s speed. From the article no way to tell if this was just a case of the 39 year old wanting to tell this guy how to drive and piping up when he shouldn't have, or if the kid was driving in a way that put others needlessly at risk on a public road.

But, in the last few years I’ve noticed people are less willing to say something when someone is way out of line in a public place. People just put their head down and “mind their own business” like that’s a solution. If someone is driving like an ass hat (article makes no mention of actual speed etc, so no idea if this kid was or not), and it puts my family, myself, or my property in danger, I feel like I have a right to make comment on it to that person.

I think we see more and more people (especially young people) with the attitude of “ill do what I want, what are you going to do about it" out in public because they have never been held accountable, no one is willing to at least say “That’s out of line”. Do what you want how you want on your property with your stuff, but when out in public, at least try to spare a thought to how your actions can effect others around you that have to be in the same space as you.

Too much hand holding and time outs with an everyone wins for participating, not enough beatings and tough luck try harder next times for a lot of young people now.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
The older man must have extremely quick reactions if he threw a pen at a speeding car. Unless he caught up to him. Which would imply that he sped too?
LOL good point, if he actually bothered to catch up to the guy and THEN toss a pen at the car, that deserves a beating.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #10

Wonder how ICBC is going to deal with the accident
fishCak3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Both should be forced to carpool with each other as a punishment.

Filmed and then aired as an internet show.

Could be called something like "This guy, and that guy."
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #12

Thanked 1,120 Times in 280 Posts
^lol you should be a judge, cruel and unusual punishments
duy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
Banned By Establishment

Since I live in Port Moody, I can tell you there are a lot of self entitled douche bags who think the world revolves around them living out here, and that everyone should do what they say. I say he probably got what he deserved.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
very surprised the young man got away with no tickets what so ever.

usually the one going out and going insane are the ones that gets in shit.. but I guess its because the old man hit him..
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post
very surprised the young man got away with no tickets what so ever.

usually the one going out and going insane are the ones that gets in shit.. but I guess its because the old man hit him..
Why would the young guy get any tickets?

Just because the old guy said he was speeding doesn't mean he was(but who knows, he probably was).

Old guy was man enough to toss a pen at buddy's car but scared when shit went down. He probably shouldn't of done anything to begin with.

Young guy technically didn't do anything wrong. Old guy did by hitting him and fleeing
Posted via RS Mobile
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #16
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr4l View Post
Young guy technically didn't do anything wrong. Old guy did by hitting him and fleeing
Posted via RS Mobile
Well I dont know about that, I mean normally after an accident I don't get out of my car and start punching and banging on someone elses car. So I wouldn't say he didn't do anything wrong, but the old guy certainly instigated here.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Well I dont know about that, I mean normally after an accident I don't get out of my car and start punching and banging on someone elses car. So I wouldn't say he didn't do anything wrong, but the old guy certainly instigated here.
Thats because you name your SUV Brianna. You are a beta. This guy clearly was pissed that he had aggrivated him.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #18
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,031 Times in 2,071 Posts
^

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Pen 15 club strikes again
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
What accident? He said some stuff and threw a pen at his car. Buddy got mad (which most would), got out and beat on his car. Old guy decides to book it because he ain't tough guy no more and knocked him down an drove off
Posted via RS Mobile
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #21
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
do we all have police phone numbers on their cell phones because we are not supposed to use 911 for this?
Says who?

According to the Surrey RCMP web page, "You should only use 911 when an immediate police response is required." - seems to me, witnessing - or worse, being involved in - a road rage incident in progress qualifies.

The Edmonton Police Service's website says "In all cases of an emergency involving a life threatening situation, or a crime in progress, dial 911 immediately."

We've seen plenty of news items this past summer with police stating 911 should be used to report dogs locked in hot cars, too, so why wouldn't two guys playing Death Race 2000 in traffic count?

The VPD website is even broader: "If you are unsure how serious an incident is, call 911 and they will advise whether or not to call the non-emergency number (604) 717-3321."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #22
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
road rage would count as an emergency
it's not that you see a suspicious activity or you just had a B&E at your residence...it's something that's going down now and could escalate into violence
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr4l View Post
What accident? He said some stuff and threw a pen at his car. Buddy got mad (which most would), got out and beat on his car. Old guy decides to book it because he ain't tough guy no more and knocked him down an drove off
Posted via RS Mobile
Quote:
“changed lanes in front of the first vehicle, which resulted in a collision.”
I would classify a collision as an accident? How about you?

Old 10-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
Thats because you name your SUV Brianna. You are a beta. This guy clearly was pissed that he had aggrivated him.
I suppose you would prefer I name her as a him and call him charlie, then I could be as Gay as you?

This post FAILED by:
Old 10-03-2013, 04:49 AM   #25
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Says who?

According to the Surrey RCMP web page, "You should only use 911 when an immediate police response is required." - seems to me, witnessing - or worse, being involved in - a road rage incident in progress qualifies.

The Edmonton Police Service's website says "In all cases of an emergency involving a life threatening situation, or a crime in progress, dial 911 immediately."

We've seen plenty of news items this past summer with police stating 911 should be used to report dogs locked in hot cars, too, so why wouldn't two guys playing Death Race 2000 in traffic count?

The VPD website is even broader: "If you are unsure how serious an incident is, call 911 and they will advise whether or not to call the non-emergency number (604) 717-3321."
i stand corrected then. my confusion was based on an online news report i had read earlier this year (but this is unsubstantiated because i haven't been able to find it). i think it was in white rock where it said someone tried to report a reckless driver using 911 and they were told to call the non-emergency number instead because it was not considered to be an emergency. that falls in line with what you said about the vpd website.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 10-03-2013 at 09:00 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote