REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 10-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Changing the thought process

First off serious discussion only.

This maybe one of these "uliq" type threads but I have a weird question.

I've met someone online a few years ago. Overtime we developed a relationship. Even though she lives quite far and I do plan on visiting her sometime in the near future, but I know in reality that unless I move to her country that it probably won't work.

The issue im having is she has replaced any type of real life communication ever since I moved because I don't know much people in Calgary. And it's getting to the point where I've become quite obsessive. For example I have difficulty acknowledging who's attractive when I go out to the bars here because to me she's the image of attraction in my head. Or when someone talks to me, my idea of a good personality is hers.

Don't get me wrong. She likes me, the feelings are there (until you meet in person hah) but in reality it isn't going to work out ever, and if it does it's going to be a major life change for me and I don't think that it's healthy for me at this point in my life to make changes.

I feel kinda dumb, but what can I change in my thought process to stop this pattern so I can actually meet girls here without having this anxious pining feeling of wanting to be with her.

meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
RabidMod

Thanked 1,082 Times in 404 Posts
I say go meet her.

Sounds like the reason she's so over-the-top perfect to you is because you've got this built up image of what she is in your mind, and this image won't be corrected until you go and meet this person. You'll realize she isn't what you thought she was, and then problem solved.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Go out expecting to meet friends. Be genuine about this because people can easily sense what your motives are if they aren't genuine. Talk to girls like you talk to guys (obviously nicer and less bullshit). Girls are normal people, they aren't out to get you and they aren't from another dimension. Sure you may have the thought of dating this cute girl you've met but everyone has that thought once in a while-- hell she might think of that too of you.

From my experience and by no means am I pick up artist or good with the ladies, I however do get compliments on how easily I can talk to... anyone. I guess it's just a feature I have but you really have to be versatile and tailor yourself to the situation-- be fluid. I talk about sex and shit to girls, as long as you make it comfortable.

To change your thought process requires you to go out there and fuck up. Reevaluate what you did wrong and how you are going to improve it later. Challenge yourself, read some books, meet some different people.
Lamboda is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamboda View Post
hell she might think of that too of you.
She does. We had a talk about this, but the problem is she is a single mother, so it's unrealistic for her to come visit me.

It's weird cause we think about each other a lot, and even when she was in a relationship recently with some dude, she would always post on my facebook wall how she "missed me". It's also been pretty well acknowledged through her friends that she talks about me a whole lot, she sent more snapchats to me than her own boyfriend at the time. So it's tough for me, because I've never had someone pin for me this much, and it feels kinda good?

But we are both realists and I generally feel ok with her banging other dudes and vice versa. She lives in a country that's generally pretty expensive to fly too, because if it was somewhere in the states or europe, I'd be there tomorrow.

In terms of me going out, I don't really have difficulty in that sense of meeting people, especially since the girls here think im cute plus the guys in Calgary dress like shit and have ugly fucking beards.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
I say go meet her.

Sounds like the reason she's so over-the-top perfect to you is because you've got this built up image of what she is in your mind, and this image won't be corrected until you go and meet this person. You'll realize she isn't what you thought she was, and then problem solved.
That's the plan. Once I get my finances in order (it's kinda why I moved to Calgary) and have a bit of bankroll I'll be heading down.

But now comes the other question. What if she happens to be perfect? I don't even want to think about what happens then.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Or maybe its a dude.

You are making real life decisions based on a LOT of assumption. Hey! She's awesome. Of course she is, because everything from what she says, to how she says it to what she looks like when she says it can be thought out, and metered. You don't see her having a bad day, or paying bills or being a bitch to the girl at the coffee shop because her latte wasn't 112 degrees.

And its the same for you.

So you are shooting yourself in the foot for the sake of someone that you barely know and haven't met.

You know what the answer is...either meet in person and realize she's the girl of your dreams, or go out in the city where you are, and meet some people in the same area code, but don't hold yourself back based on your own assumptions.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Real life is always a let down............
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
to be honest dude, i was in similar shoes for a year with a chick. we had a great connection online, we did MSN, emails and everything. Even though this was years ago with less technology and less temptations, we had a great mental connection with one another. 1 yr later, we met in person for vacation and it felt great but mine took the wrong turn. There are 2 ways this can end. You end up having great sex and continue to be lovers far far away, or you can end up like me where you mind was so fully blown with real life being a huge let down.

we parted ways and she'll always me my vacation fling but that's about it.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Why is reality a let down?

Because you've filled in the missing details yourself. She cannot possibly live up to the expectations set in your own mind.

And the internet adds 50 pounds.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #10

^I'm still attracted to her regardless of size or how she looks.

Regardless it isn't healthy what's been happening to me lately. I've kinda lost myself and I really need to move on and forge my own path.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Is this the chick in Gold Coast? Dude come down ASAP.

Girls in Australia are HOT

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #12
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

She is a he.
Posted via RS Mobile
Kilinim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
Is this the chick in Gold Coast? Dude come down ASAP.

Girls in Australia are HOT
I'm sure you know her, since she posts on my fb every other day. And yeah the one in Brisbane.

Im working out here right now, but I'm out there soon. I'm gonna get a year work visa soon too.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #14
Banned By Establishment

Even better...here I was thinking 'Iowa' or 'Idaho' but Australia...super close. Super easy.

Odds of 'Meowjinbrisbane' babies occurring are cloudy, with a chance of meatballs.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #15

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Interesting.

Best of luck Meowjin.

Since she posts on your fb every other day, I am going to assume that you know what she looks like?

If she does not have any pictures on her fb page... it would be weird to say the least.

Personality and intelligence are key characteristics in women.

I'm glad you can connect with her.

But, in real life, physical attractiveness is definitely part of the deal.

You mentioned, quote "I'm still attracted to her regardless of size or how she looks." so.... is she a 5/10? 10/10? 1/10?

Details!.. s'il vous plaît.

--------------------------

Reminds me about the olde days of:
IRC and ICQ
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #16
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
catfish.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #17

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
catfish.
I'll raise you 1 on fishiness:

Rakfish.

BBC News - Norway's rakfisk: Is this the world's smelliest fish?

Last edited by Marshall Placid; 10-04-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2013, 01:34 AM   #18
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

You are putting all of your eggs in one basket, which is a recipe for disaster. And you haven't even met her yet.

Go out, force yourself to meet girls. The more girls you pursue, the less of a burden your obsessiveness towards her will become. The more people you have in your line of sight, the better you will feel, which will also result in a more "realistic" outcome.

I know moving to a place where you know no one can be difficult, and it seems that the easiest thing to grasp on to is a sense of familiarity which, in your case, is her. At least you acknowledge that this sort of attachment and obsession isn't healthy.
Posted via RS Mobile
neggo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Placid View Post
Interesting.

Best of luck Meowjin.

Since she posts on your fb every other day, I am going to assume that you know what she looks like?

If she does not have any pictures on her fb page... it would be weird to say the least.

Personality and intelligence are key characteristics in women.

I'm glad you can connect with her.

But, in real life, physical attractiveness is definitely part of the deal.

You mentioned, quote "I'm still attracted to her regardless of size or how she looks." so.... is she a 5/10? 10/10? 1/10?

Details!.. s'il vous plaît.

--------------------------

Reminds me about the olde days of:
IRC and ICQ
We skype and snapchat eachother.

Believe me she's real, I don't know why people keep saying it's a dude lol.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #20
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Why is reality a let down?

Because you've filled in the missing details yourself. She cannot possibly live up to the expectations set in your own mind.

And the internet adds 50 pounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #21
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
I'm sure you know her, since she posts on my fb every other day. And yeah the one in Brisbane.

Im working out here right now, but I'm out there soon. I'm gonna get a year work visa soon too.
Posted via RS Mobile
Better send the VISA app in before you turn 30.. !

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:36 AM   #22
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
I've met someone online a few years ago. Overtime we developed a relationship. Even though she lives quite far and I do plan on visiting her sometime in the near future, but I know in reality that unless I move to her country that it probably won't work.
Didn't you just answered your own question? Just go and meet her already... I am surprised you two are still in a relationship for years without meeting.

Like many other people posted here already, you don't know how you will feel towards her (and vice verse) until you two meet up in person.

I know my gf (works and lives in Japan) when I was still in Vancouver. I moved back to HK for work a years ago and I try to visit her once ever 3 months. I just moved to Japan 2 weeks ago trying to learn her language and see if we can work things out.

Bottom line is, if you are are so worry about this and that, you end up not achieving anything and going nowhere.

Life is an adventure, just give things a try~ and MAN UP
Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #23
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
I met my wife on-line and things were much better when you click a mouse and then continue on with your day. When you have limited time, and limited chance of actually meeting one another, people tend to let down their guard, tell you things that will not come back on them.

My wife and I are now quite happy together, but when she came to Canada to be with me, we did have some intense months of "getting to know you" on a daily basis - and it wasn't anything like the on-line days. People are people, we all have our own ways and opinions.

Throwing the single mom thing only makes it more difficult. If you chose to pursue the relationship, you better be ready to treat the child like your own. Otherwise, back off and let someone else be "the man". It's a package deal - and that is not always an easy decision to commit to.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #24
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
. For example I have difficulty acknowledging who's attractive when I go out to the bars here because to me she's the image of attraction in my head. Or when someone talks to me, my idea of a good personality is hers.

Why is this a bad thing?

When you meet "the one" all others kind of fall away. Yes, you can recognize "attractiveness" in others, but you are not attracted to them. Maybe she means more to you than you think.

The question is, what you waiting for? I think you had indicated in another thread that you have yet to secure a job in AB. Why not put that on hold for a week or 2 and go see her? What is more "online" time going to do for your relationship?

You are not going to stop thinking about her until that chapter is closed....and why are you trying to throw yourself at bar wenches? Are you trying to forget about your catfish or just horny?

Suck it up, princess. Walk your ass to the travel agent and buy a damn ticket. Report back.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #25
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Suck it up, princess. Walk your ass to the travel agent and buy a damn ticket. Report back.
This.

Just go. What's stopping you?

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote