REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Buying a car from someone who is financing it

When purchasing a car from someone who is financing it, what proof must they provide to show they have paid the remainder prior to transferring ownership?

Say for example someone is financing their Honda for 5 years, I choose to buy it while they still have a year left on the finance. They say they will pay off the remainder of the amount owing. Will they receive a letter or verification number from the dealership saying that the remainder amount has been paid off? And how would I verify that they have paid off the amount owing? If they choose to sell it to me, what proof must they provide that they have paid off the remainder of the finance?

in b4 go with your gut feeling

thanks in advance
Advertisement

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I'm assuming they will use the money you pay them for the vehicle to pay the remainder of the finance. You should both go to the dealership the car is from or the bank where it is financed and have it paid off. That way you know there will be know lien on the vehicle.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
I'm assuming they will use the money you pay them for the vehicle to pay the remainder of the finance. You should both go to the dealership the car is from or the bank where it is financed and have it paid off. That way you know there will be know lien on the vehicle.
They're saying that they are able to pay it off completely right now (won't be using our money to pay for the vehicle). I'm assuming he will pay off with savings etc. If he says that he has paid it off, who would I check with after the fact to verify that theres no lien on the vehicle? Bank? Dealership? I have the VIN of his vehicle, of course.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
^ yeap. Go to bank it's financed through, or dealer if it's in house.

edit: you ninja posted me. Go in with them when they pay it off. Or do a lien search. here: http://www.icbc.com/registration-lic..._a_lien_search

I'm cloudy on what you do if they take a loan through the bank and then use the cash to pay for the car though. Because technically they're still paying it off, but it won't show up as a lien I don't think? And if they stop paying it can still be seized? Forget these details sorry.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

You can go with the bank they finance with and ask for a proof/receipt from the teller that the loan has been paid off.
fishCak3s is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
I ran into this issue when I was buying a bike this summer. The gentleman said there were no liens on the bike and that he owned it but turns out he was financing it. That doesn't mean he lied, he may have felt like he owned it but truth of the matter is, the bank does.

My solution was to go to the bank with him and have him pay off the remaining balance and get documentation that the bike was under his ownership. He was willing to do it but I decided not to go that route at the end of the day. Too much hassle and I didn't want to get suckered.

Be careful. I wouldn't buy it unless you went to the bank with him to close out the amount that is owed on the bike.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
So if you bought a vehicle unknowingly with a lien on it from previous owner (suppose you didn't do your homework) they (bank) can repo it and sell it? Or are you then responsible for paying off the lien? Or do they just go after the PO?

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Like everyone has said. The bank can provide paperwork proving there is no lien on the vehicle. I've been through this and its a simple process. Get the lien documentation from the bank and also do the ICBC lien search as well.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Last time I read up on lien, Liens are transferrable and will be your problem once you purchase the vehicle.

One the title is transferred, the previous owner has no legal obligation to pay off the remaining amount.

So get them to pay it off before you even consider a purchase
Posted via RS Mobile

Also, I think if you do a lien check from a accredited credit check place and it shows no liens, they cannot go after your vehicle even if it has a lien. Double check on that
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
happened to me when I bought my car.

I gave the buyer two options:

1) he call the bank and ask for a temp loan to settle the car loan by himself so I can have a free and clear car. I also requested that we verify this info by going to a branch of my choosing and confirming with the teller while he was present.

2) him and I go to the bank, I pay off the whatever the remainder is and him and I both get a receipt loan was paid and I wait a couple of days before doing a lien check.

He picked #1 and had loan paid off in full few days prior to me buying the car.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
A lien release letter from the lender showing that they have no further financial interest in the vehicle should suffice. You can also do your own lien check through BC Online to see if there are any other lien holders. Sometimes people borrow money against their vehicle and it shows up as a secondary lien.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Get a receipt of full payment or letter from the place they financed from saying it is FULLY paid off...

Then Transfer vehicle ownership and have all the necessary papers ready and prepared at the place of financed and have everything you need done right there on the spot with witness
Old 10-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #13
Old School RS

Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
So if you bought a vehicle unknowingly with a lien on it from previous owner (suppose you didn't do your homework) they (bank) can repo it and sell it? Or are you then responsible for paying off the lien? Or do they just go after the PO?
If you bought a car with a lien on it, you are not responsible to pay the loan, ie it will not in any way affect your credit, however, they are completely within their right to repossess it if the previous owner does not continue to make payments on it.

The safest way to buy something with a lien is that you make out two cheques/bank drafts - one made out to the finance company for the exact balance outstanding on the day you buy it (have the seller call in and get the exact amount for you), and one made out to the seller for the rest. The bank/finance company will not write a lien release on the spot usually, but will give you a receipt for the payment, and will follow up with a letter confirming they no longer have an interest in the vehicle if you ask them for it.

Mark
Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
^ exactly what I was going to say. I've done it before like that and it worked just fine.

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote