REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #151
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
To be fair, anyone who was part of Revscene back in '02 was likely here because they were car enthusiasts. What the website was like back then is a far cry from how it is now. Back then it was an IC rival and focused almost exclusively on modifying cars.

Remember, people tend to change over the span of a decade and both priorities and hobbies change. Just because he doesn't post a lot of automotive content doesn't mean he's not allowed on Revscene. This website is now more of a lifestyle website that happens to have automotive content. Feel free to debate him on the merits of his line of work, but don't dare attack his worthiness of being on this site by his posts alone.

43 MA
Advertisement
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #152
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I don't think I ever shared my opinion on Johns product in this thread. I'm just here laughing at the ridiculous hate going on. The only person who has been reasonable and skeptical is Parm. Almost everyone else is just slinging shit.
You know, I was feeling bad for a second there as I like to think I'm not a prick.

And I'm thinking of when I said the term, "showy douche" here. Which I don't think of as really negative. I mean, realtors are showy douches. It's what you do when you need to get things from people on a regular basis.

But then he posts this shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTZ View Post
Remember that next time you go for an interview.
And it makes it so hard to give a poo, you know?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #153
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
I don't think I ever shared my opinion on Johns product in this thread. I'm just here laughing at the ridiculous hate going on. The only person who has been reasonable and skeptical is Parm. Almost everyone else is just slinging shit.
So whats his product? Please let me know.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #154
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
So whats his product? Please let me know.
Lol

This is obviously never going to get old for manic...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #155
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I don't get why people have to hate on how other people make money.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I don't get why people have to hate on how other people make money.
So you OK with people selling drugs to kids?
Old 10-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #157
...in the world.

I'm pretty sure one is illegal. Guess which one.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #158
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Flipping 15k of coke has much better odds of coming out ahead than heading to Mexico for a seminar

Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #159

Quote:
I'm pretty sure one is illegal. Guess which one.
Who cares if it's legal or not as long as you make money right? Remember just because it's legal does not make it ethical.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #160
...in the world.

Ethics don't mean the same thing to everyone. The law, for the most part, applies to everyone.

What John does is market himself very well and the product he sells is he teaches others how to market themselves well. Whether you agree with that or not, he isn't forcing anyone to give him money.

In a free market, he has the right to sell what he wants and he's made quite a good living.

Do you hate capitalism, or something?

Old 10-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #161
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
I was talking about this with my friend the other day that's somewhat related. He's in law school.

Me: "Hey, so what happens if you end up defending someone you know is clearly wrong, and you happen to win the case? Wouldn't that be unethical?"

Him: "If I win, will it feed my kids? Will it send them to college? Will it allow me to buy a home for my parents?"

Me: "Yes, it does. But wouldn't you feel guilty?"

Him: "Why would it? As long as it benefits those I hold dear, then that's all that matters. Who's to say what is ethical and what isn't? I could care less."
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #162
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
The day I stopped worshipping money is the day I felt released from the burdens the world threw at me. There's my advice. That'll be $35,000.

But seriously, I have no issue with people who want to make money but some of these almost transparent companies selling ambiguous ideas and concepts is something I'll never understand. But then again, I've seen worse. Televangelism anyone?
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #163

Quote:
Ethics don't mean the same thing to everyone. The law, for the most part, applies to everyone.

What John does is market himself very well and the product he sells is he teaches others how to market themselves well. Whether you agree with that or not, he isn't forcing anyone to give him money.

In a free market, he has the right to sell what he wants and he's made quite a good living.

Do you hate capitalism, or something?

The Simpsons - Go back to Russia - YouTube
So you don't care how the money is made? Do you try to sell his products (I still don't know what they are) to friends and family?

You O.K. with this?

'Rich Dad' seminars deceptive: Marketplace - CBC News - Latest Canada, World, Entertainment and Business News
Old 10-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #164
...in the world.

I believe everyone is responsible for their own money. If you make financially irresponsible decisions, that's on you, not 'Rich Dad'. It's everyone's own job to make sure they make informed decisions.

I agree with what Hard Gay said.

That being said, John doesn't tell you to buy condos or whatever. He's quite up front about the fact that he makes money by telling people how to make money.

I don't sell anyone's products to friends or family.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #165
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
I was talking about this with my friend the other day that's somewhat related. He's in law school.

Me: "Hey, so what happens if you end up defending someone you know is clearly wrong, and you happen to win the case? Wouldn't that be unethical?"

Him: "If I win, will it feed my kids? Will it send them to college? Will it allow me to buy a home for my parents?"

Me: "Yes, it does. But wouldn't you feel guilty?"

Him: "Why would it? As long as it benefits those I hold dear, then that's all that matters. Who's to say what is ethical and what isn't? I could care less."
and lawyers are the best examples of human decency we have on this earth. Talking ethics to a lawyer is like talking science to a Christian.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #166
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
I believe everyone is responsible for their own money. If you make financially irresponsible decisions, that's on you, not 'Rich Dad'. It's everyone's own job to make sure they make informed decisions.

I agree with what Hard Gay said.

That being said, John doesn't tell you to buy condos or whatever. He's quite up front about the fact that he makes money by telling people how to make money.

Seeing how you are one of the "founders" or "partners" of this thing in the beginning, please enlighten us as to how your blogs or other related "businesses" are doing on your end? In your words, I would like to know exactly how this helped you and not just John Chow?
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #167

Quote:

Why don't you want your family and friends making over $9000 a day?
Old 10-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #168
...in the world.

John and I are friends. I don't work for him nor are our business ventures the same. I provided him with a headshot for his book, I've written a few things for him here and there but I did not have anything to do with his blogging business.

By "founder", you must mean that SkinnyPupp, TTZ and I used to go to Golden Award in Richmond in the middle of the night and talk tech and business...which eventually became what is Dot Com Pho today.

My blog are much less focused than TTZ's and are in far less monetized markets. Food bloggers don't make much money. All my related websites make "fun" money. They pay for themselves and I make a bit off them. And I get to meet fun people, go to events and has allowed me numerous networking opportunities in Vancouver, especially in food, entertainment, media and hockey.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #169
...in the world.

Quote:
Why don't you want your family and friends making over $9000 a day?
I could just give them the free copies John gives me when he wants someone with proper grammar to proofread his terrible English. Want an autographed copy of his book? Here's an extra one sitting on my bookshelf.

It's entirely possible for people to make money using the advice they receive from these courses. There are new John Chow's popping up all the time. John's just selling the steps he took. It's not like he guarantees you'll be a millionaire. You don't blame the textbooks if you got a C.

People are free to do what they want with their money. If they decide they want to buy John's life story, that's their decision.

There's no ethical dilemma for me here. If people didn't want it, they don't have to buy it. That's all there is to it.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #170
My homepage has been set to RS

Are you and skinnypup millionaires? Curious.
If not, then why didn't you take the steps your friend John Chow did?

I mean, if I personally knew John Chow and saw his ascent to wealth, wouldn't one follow with a similar template? And reach comparative levels of $?
Who doesn't want to be rich? I love your food blog and all Ronin but why didn't you make a second, but similar blog such as John Chows'. Then create e-books/collect emails and profit?

In an essence, your food blog could have exponentially increased in content/value by having the extra wealth from a "John Chow Blog/MTTB" to travel around the globe or to visit high end restaurants. And money to bring in well know chef's to put their input, or whatever that case may be?

Honest questions.

Last edited by subordinate; 10-15-2013 at 11:30 PM.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #171

Quote:

It's entirely possible for people to make money using the advice they receive from these courses.
It's also entirely possible to go to Vegas and when a million dollars too.

If it's not good enough to sell to your friends and family why is it good enough for anyone else?

You should be able to stand behind your product what ever it is. 7 pages later I still don't know what it is.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #172
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
It's also entirely possible to go to Vegas and when a million dollars too.

If it's not good enough to sell to your friends and family why is it good enough for anyone else?

You should be able to stand behind your product what ever it is. 7 pages later I still don't know what it is.
I thought the product was information. Information on what John Chow did, and you can try it out too and make millions.

I get what Ronin and Skinnypup say, you should see this as J.C made a niche for himself in that people love to get rich fast. So sell this information to people, showing them how easy it is to be rich.

As many other's have said, this falls in line with every other get rich scheme.

Primerica, cutco knives, timeshares, yadadadad

Ethical? Nah, just the exploitation of idiots.

And it amazes me, when I see people call me out of the blue, people who I knew and thought of intelligent individuals go, "Hey...I Have this amazing opportunity for you.............."

That's where I instantly face palm myself.

A sucker is born every minute. Now which aisle do I go to trade in my soul and ethics.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #173
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post

I mean, if I personally knew John Chow and saw his ascent to wealth, wouldn't one follow with a similar template? And reach comparative levels of $?
Who doesn't want to be rich? I love your food blog and all Ronin but why didn't you make a second, but similar blog such as John Chows'. Then create e-books/collect emails and profit?

In an essence, your food blog could have exponentially increased in content/value by having the extra wealth from a "John Chow Blog/MTTB" to travel around the globe or to visit high end restaurants. And money to bring in well know chef's to put their input, or whatever that case may be?

Honest questions.
I'm not a millionaire, and I have no aspirations to be one. Money isn't important to me at all. I do wish I had managed it better in the past, but oh well.

I did follow John's steps, at least his early ones, back in 1999 or so.. He ran a tech website, and I had just gotten laid off from my first and only job. I was into PC gaming since I was 12 or 13, and video games since I was 4 or 5. I came across his site and I'm not sure how but I found out he was in Richmond.. He would have LAN parties at his office, and I saw what he did and though, hey I can do that. I borrowed some hardware from him (heatsinks I believe) and it started from there. I built a website using FrontPage, went to some PC stores to work out hardware loan deals (is ICI Computer still around btw? They were the first to work with me), and eventually was able to establish contacts at manufacturers.

14 years later, he moved on to other things, and I am still doing the same thing. Will it make me a millionaire? No. Do I like doing it? Hell yeah. And that's what matters the most to me.

John is REALLY good at building a niche group of followers that grows and grows. He did it with TTZ and did it again with johnchow.com. I don't know why, but even though both sites have completely different subjects, his type of reader is the same. Whatever it is about him, a certain type of person wants to hear what he has to say, and they are a large and generally a loyal and lucrative crowd. If you're not part of that crowd, fine. But to hate on it is just silly.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #174
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

Quote:

John is REALLY good at building a niche group of followers that grows and grows. He did it with TTZ and did it again with johnchow.com. I don't know why, but even though both sites have completely different subjects, his type of reader is the same. Whatever it is about him, a certain type of person wants to hear what he has to say, and they are a large and generally a loyal and lucrative crowd. If you're not part of that crowd, fine. But to hate on it is just silly.
How is this different compared to religious groups, something that you usually hate on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #175
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post

Honest questions.
I'm not super rich, no.

It takes time, commitment, and either technical knowhow to get things done yourself or the money to invest initially. In addition, it probably requires that you're an outgoing personality with decent public speaking skills.

I've made plenty of websites but I'm more of a writer than a tech guru. I have plans but don't want to put in the money to get people to create what I want right now. It's also because what you propose is near impossible. If you want to make money on the internet, it isn't with food blogging. None of my main interests directly translate very well into the internet marketing world.

I'm also just a procrastinator. However, John encouraged me to start a blog about 7 years ago and with, really, very little effort and just writing what I felt like writing, I made enough money to pay for a car and a good deal of camera equipment. All the money I make online pretty much goes to fun things.

I do alright. I've amassed enough of an audience and social media presence that has allowed me quite a few opportunities that I don't think I would've had otherwise.
This post thanked by: