REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
ICBC Alternatives - Intact, CDI, FamilyInsurance, etc

Ok so we all know we need the basic ICBC coverage but who
went with someone else for the extras/comprehensive ?

Do these other insurance agencies really come out cheaper and if so,
is it significant ?

I'll be contacting Intact and CDI tomorrow to inquire on insuring 2 of my vehicles
to see if we really do have a worthwhile alternative than to give ICBC all of your
insurance money.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
degenerate extraordinaire

For our C300, the insurance guy at our work place highly recommended Family insurance. Seems a tad cheaper than regular ICBC, but he kept emphasizing how it provides much better service versus ICBC. As a result, we opted for it.

Knock on wood, we haven't had any issues thus far where we had to resort to calling them.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
my previous car was insured with CDI, then family. Family was cheaper than CDI for me. Both were a few hundred cheaper than ICBC

However, my current car, ICBC was cheaper for everything all in.

I never had a claim with either CDI or Family so I can't comment on the claims process. I just hope it's not as bad as Alberta's claim process.
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
CDI has one of the worst claims service centers. I would rather pay more for ICBC than be insured with CDI. Family isn't bad, if you can get a better deal through them than ICBC, then go through them. You should look into BCAA as well. They have good customer service, pay claims promptly and have good relationships with body shops.

If you have a homeowners/condo/tenants insurance policy with one company, you may be able to get vehicle insurance from them as well. That way you'll get a way better deal. If the company you're currently with doesn't write auto, consider switching to a company who does. BCAA does once again. You can get your home/auto insurance through them, and I bet it will be a good deal.

Btw, I'm not affiliated with BCAA in any way. Just using them as an example

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
my previous car was insured with CDI, then family. Family was cheaper than CDI for me. Both were a few hundred cheaper than ICBC

However, my current car, ICBC was cheaper for everything all in.

I never had a claim with either CDI or Family so I can't comment on the claims process. I just hope it's not as bad as Alberta's claim process.
Sometimes, the savings isn't worth it. There are a lot of variables that contribute to the final dollars and cents to the point where it's like, "What?"

When I asked for a quote on my M3 from CDI and Family, the savings was maybe $250 - $300? But the deductible was also higher. Like yourself, I ended up going with ICBC any way.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

From my experience with dealing with insurance companies, ICBC is the best to deal with. Thats coming from someone thats had a very bad experience with them. But you only hear the horror stories of ICBC because 80%+ is insured with ICBC. With more people getting insured privately you will start to hear the good and bad from them all. Each claim is different but really all the private insurance companies just get in line and follow the rules that icbc regulates. At the end of the day they are all businesses looking out for themselves.

Last edited by VR6GTI; 10-11-2013 at 10:06 AM.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
At the end of the day they are business looking out for themselves.
+1

That and they discriminate and cherry pick their customers whereas ICBC does not and will not. You get insurance from ICBC regardless.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
I think its a bit more a hassle if something does happen.. you have to wait til ICBC and 3rd party gets/sends info... my experience is, when theres more people involve, it usually takes longer for things to get done...
Old 10-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
+1

That and they discriminate and cherry pick their customers whereas ICBC does not and will not. You get insurance from ICBC regardless.
they don't "discriminate". they pick the best risks to insure and give them a discount if they are very low risk. Insurance companies are in the business of making money, so they charge less premium but they hope to pay less claims as well. Someone who's 40+, no accidents, no tickets would be paying a lot less through a private carrier than through ICBC.

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
RS Veteran

ok

This post thanked by: