REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Parents of Port Coquitlam hit-and-run victim plead for driver to come forward (https://www.revscene.net/forums/689137-parents-port-coquitlam-hit-run-victim-plead-driver-come-forward.html)

pleasehelp 10-11-2013 09:16 PM

Parents of Port Coquitlam hit-and-run victim plead for driver to come forward

Parents of Port Coquitlam hit-and-run victim plead for driver to come forward

METRO VANCOUVER -- Annie Leung was a budding artist with a generous heart.

Now the parents of the 16-year-old PoCo teen killed in a hit-and-run last month are hoping the driver will come forward and turn him or herself in.

Leung's parents Maggie and Ricky made the tearful plea at the Coquitlam RCMP detachment Thursday in front of media.

"We urge you to step forward and tell us what happened," Maggie said, at times wiping away tears.

"It's still not too late to do the right thing. We know you are struggling with your conscience — and only by stepping forward, you could live peacefully with yourself.

Emergency crews were called to the intersection of Pitt River Road and Mary Hill Road at 3:30 p.m. on Sept. 10 to a report of a pedestrian being struck.

Investigators said Leung was crossing Mary Hill with a friend when a dark-coloured truck hit her while she was in the crosswalk.

The driver allegedly stopped for a moment, looked back, then took off.

Leung, a Riverside Secondary student, was killed.

The family offered more words to the alleged driver, and forgiveness.

"We understand it's an accident and nobody wanted it to happen," Maggie said.

"We can forgive you and we believe our daughter would forgive you as well. Annie was such a kind and loving child."

The family also talked about their daughter, noting she liked to draw and wanted to be an artist, designer or author when she got older.

"She loved to contribute anything she could to help her school," her parents said, adding Annie would help draw posters to promote school activities.

The family thanked a young man they said tried to save their daughter's life by holding her and calling 911 after the crash.

The family also thanked Annie's classmates at Riverside, neighbours and strangers for placing flowers and cards at the scene of the crash.

Maggie also said she never had concern for Annie's safety walking along Pitt River Road, pointing out she walked the same route without problems for more than a year before the crash.

As for the investigation, RCMP Cpl. Jamie Chung said police have followed up on several leads, but no suspect or vehicle has been identified.

"In a case like this it's not uncommon for us to interview several people or examine several vehicles to try and find the right one," he said.

A few days after the incident, RCMP released a video, taken from a nearby home on Mary Hill Road, which shows a possible suspect in a black truck driving away near the scene of the crash.

Chung noted the video has led to tips from the public, but did not offer specific details.

He also suggested the purpose of the family making a plea is to give the driver a chance to come forward.

"There are two sides to the story and we really want to hear from him," Chung said.

Mounties are asking anyone with information related to the collision or the identity of the driver to contact Coquitlam RCMP traffic services at 604-945-1550 and quote file number 2013-27102.

inv4zn 10-11-2013 10:33 PM

Sad to hear - RIP.

Scumbags who harm or even kill other people and then take off are amongst the lowest of the Earth. Hope they get caught soon.

xilley 10-11-2013 10:41 PM

RIP

But I really don't think there's much to say about "two sides of the story"
Their just hoping by saying that the guy has a shot to prove innocence.

I doubt anyone is gonna step up if they could get away from jail time.

EliteResearcher 10-12-2013 01:45 PM

Rest in peace

godwin 07-24-2014 01:30 PM

I think there has to be extra surge charge / confiscation of property for idiots who drag out an investigation wasting tax payers money and time. I don't want extra jail time.. just monetary payment to everyone involved.

Arrest made in hit-and-run death of Port Coquitlam teen

By John Colebourn, Postmedia News July 24, 2014 1:59 PM

Maggie and Ricky Leung make a plea in 2013 for the driver of a hit-and-run in Port Coquitlam that killed their daughter, Annie, to come forward.
Photograph by: Jeremy Deutsch , Tri-Cities Now

METRO VANCOUVER — An arrest has been made in the hit-and-run accident in Port Coquitlam last year that claimed the life of a Riverside Secondary school student.

Port Coquitlam resident Irwin Franz, 73, has been charged with failing to stop at the scene of accident causing bodily harm. A conviction carries a maximum sentence of life in prison.

Franz is to appear in provincial court in Port Coquitlam court on Aug. 25.

"The family is very sad, obviously," said Coquitlam RCMP Cpl. Jamie Chung. "There is no criminal charge in the world that can bring their daughter back."

Annie Leung, 16, was heading home from school when she was hit by a car as she walked along the sidewalk at Mary Hill Road and Pitt River Road on Sept. 10 last year.

Leung was rushed to hospital in critical condition. She died a short time later from her injuries.

Following the tragedy, police released a surveillance video showing a possible suspect's black pickup truck stopping at the accident scene. The male driver is seen getting out of the vehicle to look at what happened. The man then gets back into the vehicle and drives away.

Investigators have been following up on leads, but until Thursday there had been no arrest.

Annie's parents Ricky and Maggie Leung met with the media on Oct. 10, 2013, outside the Coquitlam RCMP detachment and made a passionate public plea for the driver to come forward.

"There is a driver who knows what happened at Mary Hill Road and Pitt River Road on Sept. 10," Maggie Leung said that day.

"Annie is our only child. A beautiful young life was taken away in this hit-and-run accident. We understand it is an accident and no one wants it to happen. We can forgive you, Annie would forgive you, because she was such a kind, caring child. We urge you to step forward and tell us what happened — it is not too late."

Ricky Leung said at the Oct. 10 press conference that they hoped the driver would come forward and help with their healing.

"I would ask the driver not to run and hide," he said. "Turn yourself in and tell us what happened."

"We have been suffering," Maggie said. "Annie, she was only 16 and she should have had a beautiful life ahead of her."

jcolebourn@theprovince.com

320icar 07-24-2014 03:12 PM

So how did they come to this arrest? New evidence? Dying guilt of an old man?

Let's hope some closure is coming for the family..

fliptuner 07-24-2014 03:13 PM

I'd really like to hear how he was caught.

Piece of shit, coward.

I hope the family can find some measure of peace, knowing he's behind bars.

Edit - released cause he's not a flight risk? WTF? Someone should tie this motherfucker to the lamp post where he left that poor girl to die.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-run-1.2717273

Lomac 07-24-2014 03:22 PM

He's 73. Pretty sure if he tries to flee, he'll likely break a hip or something.

fliptuner 07-24-2014 03:29 PM

I just find it ironic that they released someone who managed to elude police for a year after killing someone. North Fraser pretrial is just a few blocks away - I'm sure they'd take him.

Inaii 07-24-2014 03:39 PM

I like how he says the accident wasn't his fault. Well if it wasn't your fault, why did you hide for the last however many months and why did you run? Idiot.

Quote:

Franz told CBC News the accident wasn't his fault. He says he was coming home from Costco when he heard a bump and a scream. He says he should have stopped, but he drove home and walked back to the scene where people were gathered around someone in the crosswalk.

fliptuner 07-24-2014 03:45 PM

How can someone walk back and stare at the lifeless body of a child they just hit, then listen to the news for countless days, knowing he's responsible?

He just lives up the street too, so guaranteed he drives through that intersection on a regular basis.

Also, since it's not in any of the articles, he probably still has his license.

Inaii 07-24-2014 03:47 PM

I also liked the part where he said he went into a psychiatric hospital for a month after he hit the girl. Maybe someone should run him over and leave him to die, see how he likes it.

fliptuner 07-24-2014 04:07 PM

Just watched his interview on the news (sorry, no link).

He said there was nothing he could do to help her and he heard sirens, so he left. Then he walked back and re-iterated that there was nothing he could do. He also stated that he would plead not guilty.

Mr.HappySilp 07-24-2014 04:47 PM

Sad story but I wonder what are we going to do with him. I mean he is 73. He won't live very long.......

Jmac 07-24-2014 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8507469)
Sad story but I wonder what are we going to do with him. I mean he is 73. He won't live very long.......

He may die tomorrow, he may live another 30 years ...

murd0c 07-24-2014 05:02 PM

The guy is a piece of shit and should fucken rot and die for what he did... He ran away like a little bitch when you think someone his age would of learned about life.

highfive 07-24-2014 05:03 PM

We should have a requirement where seniors should have annual vision and driving test.

I was driving the other day going south on Fraser st.

This small civic made a left from 41st to Fraser and the car almost swerved into the car in the left turning lane going west on 41st.

Luckily he didn't and I started driving behind him. And the entire time, the car would swerve over to the oncoming traffic then back over to the right lane.

SpeedStars 07-24-2014 05:40 PM

He plans to plead not guilty?? :fuckthatshit: I'm sure the judge would love to hear his story given the evidence. How the hell do you plead not guilty when you KNOW you ran someone over - who was legally crossing the road at a designated crosswalk

BrRsn 07-24-2014 05:51 PM

eh at 73 .. just off yourself and do the taxpayers a favor

Jmac 07-24-2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highfive (Post 8507476)
We should have a requirement where seniors should have annual vision and driving test.

I was driving the other day going south on Fraser st.

This small civic made a left from 41st to Fraser and the car almost swerved into the car in the left turning lane going west on 41st.

Luckily he didn't and I started driving behind him. And the entire time, the car would swerve over to the oncoming traffic then back over to the right lane.

Annual is excessive. It's not like he was an amazing driver in 2012 but his vision/reflexes deteriorated so much in that single year that it caused him to become a menace on the road.

IMO, ICBC should require drivers to pass a full driver's test every 10 years from ages 30 to 60, then every 5 years after that.

I know quite a few people who are my age (30) who have shit vision/hearing/reflexes due to a variety of reasons (illnesses, disease, work environments, etc.) yet maintain full driver's licenses without restrictions.

fliptuner 07-24-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedStars (Post 8507499)
He plans to plead not guilty?? :fuckthatshit: I'm sure the judge would love to hear his story given the evidence. How the hell do you plead not guilty when you KNOW you ran someone over - who was legally crossing the road at a designated crosswalk

Cause he's a fucking weasel.

pastarocket 07-24-2014 08:07 PM

RIP.

Our justice system needs to step up and put this scumbag behind bars for the crime that he committed.

I'm losing faith in our justice system for all the crimes that people commit without punishment.

CorneringArtist 07-24-2014 11:16 PM

Banking on out justice system, slap on the wrist, suspended sentence, or less than six months for time served if he ends up waiting for trial in jail.

This is a trend I've noticed that is mostly unrelated, but it seems the courts love to act faster on sentences for animal abuse than crimes against other people. While I get they can't defend themselves, isn't it backwards to confirm a jail sentence or severe fines for someone that neglects a pet, while someone can literally get away with murder?

rb 07-25-2014 02:24 AM

Read his facebook.

from March 6, 2014

Quote:

Sea Lion at Fanny Bay strangling slowly for two weeks ???? Gov,t looking at it but need a few more meetings first to make decision!! My god Gov,t at work !!. Whats wrong with tranquilizing it and snipping off wire . Many different ways to do that could write a book. Roll it in net and pic up with helicopter to place of safe recovery ???. Scared of the rest of them Lions ??. After the dart they will scatter with scare tactics of several I could mention. That poor animal has been suffering horribly for two weeks . If nothing else kill it quickly and humanly. Naw got have a few more meetings first . !!!!!!
... from a man who hit and left a girl to die on the street and had the nerve to drive home and walk back to the scene. This cocksucker deserves a slow and painful death.

Hot Karl 07-25-2014 04:40 AM

this asshole got an extra 10 months of freedom when he should have been in jail. i'd imagine the family of the victim would have done anything to have 10 more months with their daughter.

burn him with gasoline. i got $100 on it.