REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Moving to Burns Lake - Car Advice

Hi guys, I will be moving to Burns Lake, which is a small town 2 hours out from Prince George. I will not be bringing my GTI with me, because of the lack of ground clearance and winter survivability reasons. So, I need to get a new vehicle!

Here are my requirements:
  • Reliable, with minimal maintenance required. The nearest car dealers are either at Smithers or Prince George, which are 150+ km away. There is a Kal Tire in town, and a NAPA. I can do some wrenching on my own - I'm not a total newbie to maintaining a car myself, but I've mostly stuck to basics such as oil changes.
  • AWD/4WD with good ground clearance. There are some great hiking and mountain biking trails around town, but they need to be accessed through logging/forestry service roads which can get pretty rough. I have not done any off-roading before so I don't know too much of what's needed here, whether I need a 2-speed transfer case or not. There's a fair amount of snowfall in the area as well, which means that AWD/4WD would be nice to have in the winter. I took a Buick Encore on the logging roads because that's what Budget rented to me, and it was definitely minimal ground clearance at certain points.
  • Good fuel economy. Believe it or not the gas prices are pretty similar to Vancouver - because there's only 3 gas stations in town, which means that they charge higher prices. In Prince George it's about 15-20 cents cheaper. I will be driving around quite a bit, and I plan to drive back to Vancouver at least once every 2 months, so good fuel economy would be nice.
  • Comfortable - I plan to drive down to Vancouver, as mentioned above, and I would like to have a reasonably pleasant place in which to spend 10 hours on the road. Seat heaters are important!!! Good NVH characteristics are a must.
  • Decent power - one gripe I have against the CR-V and RAV4 are weak four-cylinder engines in the older models. Turbo or V6 would be great.
  • I don't have a big budget - I will be putting down a 3-5k downpayment, and financing it, or leasing it.
  • Not a fan of trucks - so I will probably stick to SUVs.

What I've looked at are some lease take-overs of various compact SUVs - RAV4, CR-V, Forester, etc. I'm also looking at the new 2014 Jeep Cherokee, which looks very interesting when you take the Trailhawk model into account. Some things I've found so far - Foresters only have 4-speed auto transmissions (WTF Subaru?), RAV4 only have heated seats when they come with leather (WTF Toyota?).

Can you help me find some good deals or suggest cars/SUVs that I have not thought about yet? Tips about driving on forestry/logging roads and up North would be appreciated as well! Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Personally, I would not purchase a new/nearly new vehicle.

The new/nearly new vehicle depreciation will be worsened by the gnarly road conditions and kilometers you're planning, and replacement parts are especially rare. In considering this, I would recommend a third or fourth gen 4Runner limited. The fuel economy isn't the greatest, but the lesser depreciation hit will make up for it. They're a capable off-road vehicle, which is very reliable, and relatively well-appointed inside.

General safety tip.

Always have basic emergency gear in the vehicle, this should include at the minimum: first aid kit, road flares, flashlight (and spare batteries), blankets, and chocolate bars. I would have chains, a shovel, and dry clothes, too.

Last edited by MindBomber; 10-13-2013 at 02:35 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #3

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
If you're taking it up to Burns lake, PG etc, lease it. It will literally be destroyed after a couple winters up there. Take for example, people who live in Calgary (Also EXTREMELY hard on vehicles) they come down to Vancouver to buy used vehicles for a reason.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,068 Times in 1,253 Posts
For Forester, see if you could get a manual for >2014... or a brand new 2014 XT . Even though its a CVT, the turbo version drives like an actual auto transmission except for downshifting.

Only all terrains for stock sizes are yokohama geolanders unless you plan to lift it.

For old foresters
4speed tranny has plenty of power in the 0-100km/h range, you might want something else if you want something more agile 100km/h+ or the 2014 version.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you

Last edited by yray; 10-13-2013 at 03:15 PM.
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #5

Wrong thread.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT

Last edited by dared3vil0; 10-13-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Xterra?

Kinda thirsty, but they are really nice...

(I am only saying this, because somewhere deep down inside I still want 2010-2012 PRO-4X model with 6MT in knight armour colour)

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #7

Good choice.

Your dis taste for pickups makes this difficult.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 10-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Miata and summer tires

on a srs note Ive been looking into reliable SUVs...06-12 RAV4 has decent power with the v6 option and is fuel efficient.

i know you said no trucks but since you mentioned logging rounds i'd just play safe and get like a 3rd gen T4R, 1st gen Taco or Jeep TJ
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
get a turbodiesel jdm toyota hilux.

what do burns lake residents drive out there? find out what's most common and get that.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 10-13-2013 at 06:32 PM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
The new/nearly new vehicle depreciation will be worsened by the gnarly road conditions and kilometers you're planning, and replacement parts are especially rare. In considering this, I would recommend a third or fourth gen 4Runner limited. The fuel economy isn't the greatest, but the lesser depreciation hit will make up for it. They're a capable off-road vehicle, which is very reliable, and relatively well-appointed inside.

General safety tip.

Always have basic emergency gear in the vehicle, this should include at the minimum: first aid kit, road flares, flashlight (and spare batteries), blankets, and chocolate bars. I would have chains, a shovel, and dry clothes, too.
Thanks for the safety tip. I am looking into 4th/5th gen 4Runners but they tend to be more expensive than the smaller alternatives that I have been looking at. Are the road conditions up there that bad, if I don't go rock-crawling? I would be comfortable going almost anywhere on a 4Runner but they are bigger and more unwieldy on the road than a CUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
If you're taking it up to Burns lake, PG etc, lease it. It will literally be destroyed after a couple winters up there. Take for example, people who live in Calgary (Also EXTREMELY hard on vehicles) they come down to Vancouver to buy used vehicles for a reason.
I've never lived that far north, so I'll have to take your word for it. But seeing that I tend to see older vehicles in relatively good condition up there... Is it that bad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
For Forester, see if you could get a manual for >2014... or a brand new 2014 XT . Even though its a CVT, the turbo version drives like an actual auto transmission except for downshifting.

Only all terrains for stock sizes are yokohama geolanders unless you plan to lift it.

For old foresters
4speed tranny has plenty of power in the 0-100km/h range, you might want something else if you want something more agile 100km/h+ or the 2014 version.
I'm probably not goin to lift it, and maybe stick with more road-oriented tires. Not planning on mudding or rock-crawling... just want access to the good bike trails and hiking areas which are a bit off the beaten path. I would love a brand new XT! But they are not cheap.

Will the 4-speed handle increased power if I chip it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Xterra?

Kinda thirsty, but they are really nice...

(I am only saying this, because somewhere deep down inside I still want 2010-2012 PRO-4X model with 6MT in knight armour colour)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
Good choice.

Your dis taste for pickups makes this difficult.
I'm not a huge Nissan fan, though I am keeping an eye out on good deals for the Xterra... also, I heard it is not that good for NVH on the road or for fuel economy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Miata and summer tires

on a srs note Ive been looking into reliable SUVs...06-12 RAV4 has decent power with the v6 option and is fuel efficient.

i know you said no trucks but since you mentioned logging rounds i'd just play safe and get like a 3rd gen T4R, 1st gen Taco or Jeep TJ
I took a Buick Encore on these "logging roads" so I think the others will survive... I am really considering a V6 RAV4 so that's sort of my main target. Just the fact that trying to find one for a good deal is hard - they retain a lot of value!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
get a turbodiesel jdm toyota hilux.

what do burns lake residents drive out there? find out what's most common and get that.
I see a mix of everything... Ford Escape, Edge, Explorer, Expedition. Chevy/GMC trucks. RAV4's and CR-V's, the odd Cadillac SRX. Toyota 4Runner, Tundra Tacoma.

Also, clapped out domestic sedans lol. Pontiacs FTW!
fml
Old 10-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
my vote would be for the following:

3rd gen 4runner (1996-2002)
3rd gen rav4 (2005-2012)

trucks/suv's will generally be gutless unless you have a range rover sport or a porsche cayanne. don't expect to zip around town like you do with your gti in a truck/suv.

i would personally go with a 3rd gen 4runner. there are plenty up in that neck of the woods which provides two things:
1) there are mechanics who are familiar with working on them up there
2) parts should be fairly reasonably available

its a solid work horse and will get you through most places such as forest service roads in stock configuration with little to no modifications.

the 3rd gen rav4 would be my second suggestion. it has a v6 thats fairly powerful for the size of the car as well as a center differential lock which will help you get out of sticky situations should the need arise.

regardless of what you decide to get invest in good tires. my suggestion would be for two sets, studded hakka's for fall/winter and some sort of all terrain or mud terrain in spring/summer.

if you plan on venturing off into the woods alone some recovery tools would probably be a good investment.

a hi-lift jack with a lift mate wheel adapter and base plate along with recovery straps and shackles would probably be the most basic list of items i would take into the woods if i was heading alone.

i also carry blankets, water, food, a stove and some signal flares as well as a large fully stocked first aid kit.

cellphones generally wont work out there so dont expect to rely on one.

personally if i was you and heading up that way where there may be little traffic on the forest service roads i'd probably invest in a front and rear hitch receiver. that way i would be able to winch myself out of situations should the need arise.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
2nd gen pathfinder
1st gen xterra especially the SC one
diesel hilux surf
forester xt/outback 3.6
toyota highlander with full time 4wd/v6, good size, newer
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Thanks for the safety tip. I am looking into 4th/5th gen 4Runners but they tend to be more expensive than the smaller alternatives that I have been looking at. Are the road conditions up there that bad, if I don't go rock-crawling? I would be comfortable going almost anywhere on a 4Runner but they are bigger and more unwieldy on the road than a CUV.
In perspective, the Mazda 3 is sufficient on-road with winter tires and could manage some FSR roads. That makes the 4Runner's capability not necessary, but the added capability is something nice to have. The same is true for a CUV, because they extend your range a bit further on FSRs than the Mazda 3. I doubt you'll feel like a 4Runner's big and unwieldy in the interior/north, although it's understand that you'd feel that way in the GVRD. The lanes are wider and less crowded further from the city.

What're you moving up to Burns Lake for anyway? I hope you like beer
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #14
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
I am really considering a V6 RAV4 so that's sort of my main target. Just the fact that trying to find one for a good deal is hard - they retain a lot of value!
yes I never took rav4s seriously growing up around 1st and 2nd gen
I was originally looking at the highlander then as i did my research it looks like rav4 v6 is a better choice...but those articles/community feedback didn't take into account the used market pricing or availability...I'm shocked those 3rd gen are priced as much as a highlander and the 4runner...like holy shit who knew they'd retain so much value.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #15

If you're concerned about NVH you moved to the wrong place. I can guarantee you (from experience) that driving on chewed up logging roads is an unpleasent experience.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 10-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #16
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
if i were you i would buy a power wagon ram. So beast. Reliable. Powerful.4x4

Maybe not like the one pictured since it wont fit your budget but a older one.

edit: nvm didn't read..you dont like pickups

Last edited by donjalapeno; 10-13-2013 at 08:50 PM.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #17
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,278 Times in 1,968 Posts
Ford Raptor

Or a Delica
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #18

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Tacoma

/thread
Old 10-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
my vote would be for the following:

3rd gen 4runner (1996-2002)
3rd gen rav4 (2005-2012)

i would personally go with a 3rd gen 4runner. there are plenty up in that neck of the woods which provides two things:
1) there are mechanics who are familiar with working on them up there
2) parts should be fairly reasonably available

its a solid work horse and will get you through most places such as forest service roads in stock configuration with little to no modifications.

the 3rd gen rav4 would be my second suggestion. it has a v6 thats fairly powerful for the size of the car as well as a center differential lock which will help you get out of sticky situations should the need arise.

regardless of what you decide to get invest in good tires. my suggestion would be for two sets, studded hakka's for fall/winter and some sort of all terrain or mud terrain in spring/summer.

if you plan on venturing off into the woods alone some recovery tools would probably be a good investment.

a hi-lift jack with a lift mate wheel adapter and base plate along with recovery straps and shackles would probably be the most basic list of items i would take into the woods if i was heading alone.

i also carry blankets, water, food, a stove and some signal flares as well as a large fully stocked first aid kit.

cellphones generally wont work out there so dont expect to rely on one.

personally if i was you and heading up that way where there may be little traffic on the forest service roads i'd probably invest in a front and rear hitch receiver. that way i would be able to winch myself out of situations should the need arise.
Are these items necessary if you're going on FSRs? They seem more suited to deeper trips into the woods. I usually carry water, food, and a first aid kit when going on longer trips already so that's not much different, but tool-wise I do not have any of the items that you described.

I will be spending 80-90% of my time on the paved road simply doing daily errands; I would go onto FSRs or logging roads for recreational purposes such as hiking, camping or mountain biking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3mps View Post
2nd gen pathfinder
1st gen xterra especially the SC one
diesel hilux surf
forester xt/outback 3.6
toyota highlander with full time 4wd/v6, good size, newer
No RHD please... I am considering the Forester, Highlander, RAV4 and maybe a newer Xterra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
In perspective, the Mazda 3 is sufficient on-road with winter tires and could manage some FSR roads. That makes the 4Runner's capability not necessary, but the added capability is something nice to have. The same is true for a CUV, because they extend your range a bit further on FSRs than the Mazda 3. I doubt you'll feel like a 4Runner's big and unwieldy in the interior/north, although it's understand that you'd feel that way in the GVRD. The lanes are wider and less crowded further from the city.

What're you moving up to Burns Lake for anyway? I hope you like beer
I'm moving up there for a GIS Technician position with the regional district, which is based out of Burns Lake. As for a CUV vs. Mazda3 comparison, I would not have taken a Mazda 3 on these FSRs due to the potholes there. Considering I took a Buick Encore - as cute a CUV as you can get - and it did relatively okay, I'm hoping something with more ground clearance such as the RAV4 or Forester will do fine. Yes, a bigger SUV is not going to be cramped there but I will be by myself for the most part. We'll see what I end up getting it's dictated by my budget more than anything.

Here are sample photos:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
yes I never took rav4s seriously growing up around 1st and 2nd gen
I was originally looking at the highlander then as i did my research it looks like rav4 v6 is a better choice...but those articles/community feedback didn't take into account the used market pricing or availability...I'm shocked those 3rd gen are priced as much as a highlander and the 4runner...like holy shit who knew they'd retain so much value.
Yeah I know right! The 1st and 2nd gen were kind of cutesy... the 3rd gen was better but now it's back to cutesy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Tacoma

/thread
Don't like trucks.

Guys, I will be spending 80-90% of my time on the paved road simply doing daily errands; I would go onto FSRs or logging roads for recreational purposes such as hiking, camping or mountain biking.
fml
Old 10-14-2013, 05:07 AM   #20
I don't get it

I recently rented an SUV from Hertz to drive down to Arizona and they gave me a Dodge Journey R/T....

This was a gem. We drove approximately 6500kms and the car took it like a beast. It's fast, spacious and pretty damn cheap. Fully loaded I believe they are roughly 32-35k...

Seriously considering this when I upgrade the wife's Rav4.
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:27 AM   #21
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
3rd gen 4runner
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #22
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
96-01 4Runner Limited with BFG All Terrains.
Posted via RS Mobile
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #23
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Why sell your soul by buying an SUV when you can pick up something like an Audi All-road or Volvo XC70? AWD, plenty of ground clearance, lots of interior space, and you're not driving a giant gas guzzler.

Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Why sell your soul by buying an SUV when you can pick up something like an Audi All-road or Volvo XC70? AWD, plenty of ground clearance, lots of interior space, and you're not driving a giant gas guzzler.

And when it breaks I would get stuck in the middle of nowhere!

One reason why I'm mostly considering domestic/Toyota is that there is not a lot of workshops or dealers where I am that can deal with European makes. I have a GTI, and though it's been mechanically fine I'm a bit leery about dealing with potential problems down the road.

I'm looking at the 3rd gen 4Runners but I kind of want something newer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseman View Post
I recently rented an SUV from Hertz to drive down to Arizona and they gave me a Dodge Journey R/T....

This was a gem. We drove approximately 6500kms and the car took it like a beast. It's fast, spacious and pretty damn cheap. Fully loaded I believe they are roughly 32-35k...

Seriously considering this when I upgrade the wife's Rav4.
Hmm, I should look at the Journey then. I've kind of written them off as not enough ground clearance... I'll have to see about that.
fml
Old 10-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #25
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Full-size truck for sure

Driving around PG in a Versa was scary as fuck with the moose and bears that cross the highway. Almost hit a black bear at 110 last time I was out there
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote