REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #26
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
do what i do, ppl speak to me in chinese, i reply back in english, unless when they say they cant speak english, then i reply back in cantonese or i say in mandarin "i dont speak mandarin"
Advertisement

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #27
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #28
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I don't know how accurate the numbers are (...about 8.5 per cent of couples in the Lower Mainland are in mixed unions — more than double the national figure of four per cent), but I do see quite a few mixed couples in the Lower Mainland. We may choose an area to live in based on race, but not necessarily true when choosing our partners.

Portraits of mixed race couples | The Province
Old 10-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #29
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
What bothers me is people who have lived here long enough to be fluent in English (I wouldn't know they were not born here) who think its cool to talk to each other in Chinese or whatever language when in a group of other nationalities. There is no need for it, they do it by choice - in ur own home, fine, be my guest, but when ur with friends, it's just rude (and not to be private either, as there are other speakers of that language in the group when it happened.

This kind of behaviour is childish, but I see it so much in people I used to article with, mid to late 20 yr olds, professionals, fucking immature as hell - to me doing that is promoting segregation
If I'm not dealing with them, I don't care what language they speak (at home or in public)
But it's pretty frustrating when they don't speak a word of English and demand fast and speedy service.

Was working at a computer shop, a Chinese family came up to buy a laptop which was no problem (my non-cantonese speaking cashier was dealing with them) There was a problem (at no fault of the cashier) and due to their language barrier,the family started insulting the cashier (Calling her retarded and stupid and a bitch) in cantonese right in front of her. I had to step in and defuse the situation, but I had to start it with "Don't think I don't know what you're saying."

ON THE FLIP SIDE... Some Caucasians still feel self-rightous and superior over other ethnicities. Same store @ closing time, Caucasian storms in demanding service over an item she broke. Asian co-worker comes and tries to explain what happened and why she can't just TAKE a new one off the shelf. She tries to steal it twice. Manager comes and observes, asian co-worker explains in perfect english the problems with her product. She goes off on a rant saying she can't understand him through his 'chinese' and starts mocking the chinese language and how we're nothing but immigrants taking all the jobs.

I know, cool stories. Want me to tell it again?

But just goes to show that ethnic segregation isn't always on the fault of those with colour, even in such a diverse city like Vancouver.