REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Canada-EU free trade deal lauded by Harper, Barroso (https://www.revscene.net/forums/689334-canada-eu-free-trade-deal-lauded-harper-barroso.html)

Razor Ramon HG 10-18-2013 11:34 AM

Canada-EU free trade deal lauded by Harper, Barroso

CETA: Canada-EU free trade deal lauded by Harper, Barroso - Politics - CBC News

Quote:

Key aspects of deal

Barroso said the deal will be a landmark trade achievement and a stepping stone to an integrated transatlantic market.

"With this agreement we are also sending an important and positive signal around the world: to markets, to businesses, our trading partners and of course the millions of people across Europe, but also, I believe, across Canada, that are looking for growth and in Europe especially, for a renewed economic drive," Barroso said.

Highlights from the agreement include:
  • Canadian automakers will be able to export 100,000 cars a year, 12 times their limit now.
  • Full access to EU markets for Canadian fresh and frozen fruit and vegetables, or processed foods.
  • Full access to EU markets for Canadian wheat, oats, barley, rye and canola oil.
  • Full access to EU markets for Canadian dairy farmers, with both sides excluding poultry and egg sectors.
  • No more tariffs for many seafood products, including cooked and peeled shrimp, live lobster, frozen lobster and frozen scallops.
  • No more tariffs on metals and mineral products, including iron and steel.
  • Canada will allow 29,000 tonnes of tariff-free cheese from the EU, up from 13,000 tonnes.
  • The government is considering compensation for Canadian dairy farmers if they lose money because of the agreement. It’s not clear whether compensation is being considered for small cheesemakers.
  • Canadian beef producers will be able to sell an additional 50,000 tonnes of beef – the current quota is 15,000 tonnes.
  • Canadian pork producers will be able to export 75,000 tonnes, a substantial increase to their current 6,000 tonne quota.
  • The government is also talking to the provinces and territories about compensation if the provision to extend drug patents by two years increases their costs.
  • It’s not clear what the cost will be to the government of losing all the revenue it earns off tariffs on European products – for example, a six-per cent tariff on luxury vehicles.
  • No more tariffs on European wine and spirits entering Canada.

mos_skeeto 10-18-2013 12:25 PM

So... can we get the Civic Type-R now?

Infiniti 10-18-2013 12:35 PM

Ok so now that we know what new accesses Canadian firms will be offered from now on, what changes are forthcoming in terms of the European based firms vis a vis the Canadian market?

Tapioca 10-18-2013 02:50 PM

There's still a long way to go. It needs to be agreed to by all 10 provinces and 28 EU countries in order to be implemented.

Considering Quebec is home to lots of dairy companies, they'll probably be reluctant to go along unless some side deals are made.
Posted via RS Mobile

Culverin 10-18-2013 03:01 PM

Does this mean I can finally import a freaking Aerox?!?!?!

http://www.scootermoped.net/wp-conte...rox_tuning.jpg

AND YAY.
IBERICO HAM!
CAVIAR
FOIES!
BACON!!!!!

meowjinboo 10-18-2013 03:13 PM

Food not included apparently. Atilll high tariffs on cheeses.
Posted via RS Mobile

meowjinboo 10-18-2013 03:14 PM

And fuck Canadian cheese makers.

Feta is never ever made with cows milk. And it tastes like shit.
Posted via RS Mobile

StylinRed 10-18-2013 03:24 PM

we're going to get inundated with a shitload of european products and i dont see how we're going to sell dairy to europe when their dairy industry is gigantic

in fact our dairy industry seems to be up in arms about this proposal

on the other hand maybe this means we can get some audis bmws mercs etc for less? :badpokerface: (doubt it)

This is more of a bailout for Europe since they're tanking

MoBettah 10-18-2013 03:43 PM

Does this mean cheaper Euro cars for Canada?

CorneringArtist 10-18-2013 04:08 PM

Or possibly opens the gate for more European built Japanese diesel passenger cars (ie. Rav4) to enter the market, or the return of Renault and Peugeot to Canada? Hell, even the off-chance of Dacia being able to set up shop in Canada sounds appealing, even if that's a stretch.
Posted via RS Mobile

GS8 10-18-2013 05:37 PM

Does this mean Marks & Spencer will come back for the 17th time?

xpl0sive 10-18-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorneringArtist (Post 8341963)
Or possibly opens the gate for more European built Japanese diesel passenger cars (ie. Rav4) to enter the market, or the return of Renault and Peugeot to Canada? Hell, even the off-chance of Dacia being able to set up shop in Canada sounds appealing, even if that's a stretch.
Posted via RS Mobile

That won't happen if the petroleum companies have something to say about it. Why do you think we in North America don't have anywhere close to the amount of diesel vehicles compared to the rest of the world? Oil companies are very powerful and rich and employ very expensive lobbyists. They make deals with governments and auto makers to make sure that they keep selling gasoline to the public, which drives the majority of their revenue.

If we had more diesel powered vehicles on the market, I'm certain the general public would much rather buy them vs gasoline powered or even hybrids. With modern diesel engines, there's really no downside to having a diesel powered car. But the way the market is right now, even if you can get a diesel engine in a car, they make that option so expensive, that it offsets any potential fuel savings.

I really do hope that this trade agreement happens and changes the vehicle market. I would love to be able to buy a diesel powered Range Rover :fullofwin:

Culverin 10-18-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorneringArtist (Post 8341963)
... or the return of Renault and Peugeot to Canada? Hell, even the off-chance of Dacia being able to set up shop in Canada sounds appealing, even if that's a stretch.
Posted via RS Mobile

I think that's what you call "good news"!

CorneringArtist 10-18-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpl0sive (Post 8342062)
That won't happen if the petroleum companies have something to say about it. Why do you think we in North America don't have anywhere close to the amount of diesel vehicles compared to the rest of the world? Oil companies are very powerful and rich and employ very expensive lobbyists. They make deals with governments and auto makers to make sure that they keep selling gasoline to the public, which drives the majority of their revenue.

If we had more diesel powered vehicles on the market, I'm certain the general public would much rather buy them vs gasoline powered or even hybrids. With modern diesel engines, there's really no downside to having a diesel powered car. But the way the market is right now, even if you can get a diesel engine in a car, they make that option so expensive, that it offsets any potential fuel savings.

I really do hope that this trade agreement happens and changes the vehicle market. I would love to be able to buy a diesel powered Range Rover :fullofwin:

That's what I thought about possible lobbying considering the lack of diesel passenger cars, while inexplicably the Chevy Cruze Diesel has been released, and the Mazda6 diesel was delayed, yet for years the only diesel cars available for the last 20 years or so were German offerings. Even Citroen has been working with diesel hybrids for the last year or so, and that would take many competitors to school if they were ever to offer their cars here.

MoBettah 10-19-2013 08:49 AM

Could this potentially mean that importing Euro cars (from the US) would be exempt from duty as North American manafactured vehicles currently are?

Gridlock 10-19-2013 10:30 AM

At its base level, trade is always good. There are a LOT of caveats to that, but it leads to efficiency in the market.

One of the main caveats is the trade should be equal, which is where a lot of these negotiations focus.

If things are equal, then if european dairy producers can supply Canadian demand in a more efficient way than our own then there is an efficiency in having them do so.

Of course, on the local level, opening your industry up to a new, equally sized competitor can be destabilizing. Ultimately though, in a free market, they should be able to improve their operations as a result or die.

lately we've kind of forgotten the "or die" component to free markets.

It's why Britain has such a thriving automotive manufacturing sector :rolleyes:. They could not compete against their competitors, the government tried pumping in money, merging them together, pumping in more money and in the end, still could not save it.

Manic! 10-19-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpl0sive (Post 8342062)

diesel is becoming more and more popular. He just added to our gas station this summer. I don't think gas companies are the problem when it comes to diesel. The problem is the perception diesel has with people. people still think it's smelly and noisy.

iwantaskyline 10-19-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8342618)
diesel is becoming more and more popular. He just added to our gas station this summer. I don't think gas companies are the problem when it comes to diesel. The problem is the perception diesel has with people. people still think it's smelly and noisy.

Oh wow you finally made a valid point.

:fullofwin:

xpl0sive 10-20-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8342618)

But why don't auto manufacturers offer the option to get the diesel for those people who aren't idiots? I would get that they don't want to oversupply the dealerships and have cars sitting there, but they could at least have the diesel option as "special order"