REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Crash Highway 1 Langley

Construction crew allegedly ignored warnings in Langley crash - British Columbia - CBC News

A construction crew ignored warnings to move vehicle off road in the fog, and apparently didn't have proper signage and warning flags...resulted in death of SUV driver 2 hours later...

Would this be the fault of the construction crew even if they had their lights on? The SUV was speeding apparently...
Advertisement

Last edited by AndroidAAA; 10-22-2013 at 01:05 PM.
AndroidAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
I don't get it

Quote:

A construction crew responsible for one of the vehicles involved in an early-morning fatal crash in Langley this morning ignored warnings to move their vehicle off the highway, according to a group representing work zone flaggers.

At around 3:50 a.m. PT Tuesday, the driver of an SUV was killed when the vehicle burst into flames after slamming into a construction truck parked in the eastbound fast lane just west of 264th Street on Highway 1.

Langley fatal crash
RCMP say dense fog was likely a contributing factor in a fatal crash that occurred overnight on Highway 1 after an SUV slammed into a parked construction vehicle. (CBC)

The truck allegedly belonged to Chilliwack-based Jakes Construction, which is building an eastbound truck climbing ramp between 264 and 232 streets.

RCMP say that dense-fog and high speed relative to road conditions were likely causes of the crash, but an investigation is ongoing.

Diane Herback of the B.C. Flagging Association says that the construction crew ignored a request from Mainroad Contracting to move their truck off the highway because of the foggy conditions and their lack of proper signage and warning flags.

"They stopped and forewarned them that they needed to get off the highway because they have no traffic control, no proper signage and the weather is really bad due to the fog, and somebody is going to die," Herback says.

"Two hours later somebody died. So shame on them."

.Jakes Construction declined to give a comment to CBC.

Mainroad Contracting, which supplies flaggers for road work sites, would only say that at no time was their company contracted to provide traffic control at the site of the crash.

According to RCMP, the construction vehicle's emergency equipment was all functioning properly at the time of the accident. The two men in the truck had exited the vehicle before the crash and were not injured in the collision.

Police have re-opened two of three eastbound lanes, but say one lane could remain closed into the early afternoon.
Sad RIP , I hope they are liable.

Last edited by dvst8; 10-22-2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: IDK
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,695 Times in 1,625 Posts
Almost rear-ended some fuck a few nights ago driving 30km/h in the fog with no lights on, no taillights, no nothing.

I'd say the accident was preventable by the construction company had they complied, and the death was preventable if the SUV driver wasn't speeding (relative to conditions.)
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
jaywalkers in dense fog
saw a truck without DRL all lights turned off in dense fog ...at least it was daytime but still
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
I don't get it

Hmm ive encountered a lot of the construction crew in hwy 1 giving the signal to change lanes too late

And yeah what is up with people not turning on their lights in the thick fog?

Also spotted a guy walking in the shoulder of hwy 91 earlier today... NBD
xjc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
The fog was ridiculously thick this morning in Duncan. Was following a guy in a white Ford Fusion who didn't have his lights on and I could barely see him 100 feet in front of me.

I pulled up next to him at the next light and got him to roll down his window and advised him, "You should turn on your lights. I couldn't even see you when I was traveling behind you."

The response: "Mind your own fucking business, asshole."

He didn't turn on his lights ...

Anyways, speeding in the fog is stupid (as is not turning on your lights in periods of limited visibility).

Refusing to park your vehicle in a safe manner, which would mean not on the highway during periods of limited visibility, is equally stupid.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
I saw someone walk right off the seawall today

Remember that there are a lot of people out there in the world with the awareness level of a carrot
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
The fog was ridiculously thick this morning in Duncan. Was following a guy in a white Ford Fusion who didn't have his lights on and I could barely see him 100 feet in front of me.

I pulled up next to him at the next light and got him to roll down his window and advised him, "You should turn on your lights. I couldn't even see you when I was traveling behind you."

The response: "Mind your own fucking business, asshole."

He didn't turn on his lights ...
What a moron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
I saw someone walk right off the seawall today

Remember that there are a lot of people out there in the world with the awareness level of a carrot
LOL

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
George Carlin
Pooface55 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
RIP.

That stretch of highway between 232 and 264 eastbound is now three lanes, does one really need to be speeding down the fast lane at 3:50 in the morning?
Posted via RS Mobile
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
GG
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

people who are so ignorant to turn on their fucking light in the dark, in the rain, in the fog, in the snow deserves to die

no im not fucking kidding

it pisses me off so much seening retards at night not turning on ANY sort of fucking light

new civic, altima, camry, prius

which dumbass thought it was a great reveolutionary design to have their gauge cluster lit up 24.7 which creates this chaos
GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
I STILL don't get it

Thanked 3,710 Times in 328 Posts
Or idiots that have their highbeams on in the fog

FUCK THIS GAY EARF!
DEADBEA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Was actually heading through that area around 6am to Harrison hot springs for work conference. Police blocked a huge stretch off, couldn't see anything except for police cars.

A few weeks ago while heading to work (again super dense fog), saw a guy on coming did't have any lights on (old ford f150), high beamed him a couple times and he turned on his lights.
jjson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
real life Grand Theft Auto
Posted via RS Mobile
Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #14
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
My gf knows the parents of the man who passed away, very sad and the guy was engaged to get married next year. RIP.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
My homepage has been set to RS

I can't count the amount of times I've nearly rear ended a parked truck in the HOV lane on the number 1 west of the river. Coming around a blind corner, only to see one sign and 100 feet ahead a truck. Just standing there.

The policies need to change for things like this. Merge cones should be required at least a KM back from where the truck is parked.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
RIP.

That stretch of highway between 232 and 264 eastbound is now three lanes, does one really need to be speeding down the fast lane at 3:50 in the morning?
Posted via RS Mobile
What makes you think they were speeding? Even traveling 80KPH (the posted limit) and hitting a STANDING vehicle can easily be fatal. Add to the fact that most people go 100KPH there, it's not wonder they did not survive.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjson View Post
Was actually heading through that area around 6am to Harrison hot springs for work conference. Police blocked a huge stretch off, couldn't see anything except for police cars.

A few weeks ago while heading to work (again super dense fog), saw a guy on coming did't have any lights on (old ford f150), high beamed him a couple times and he turned on his lights.
I've high beamed a ton of people lately and all they do is finger me as I drive by? Like seriously, think about it for a minute. Driving the speed limit? OK.. now wonder why someone might be flashing you. LIGHTS, moron.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #18
GG

what i usually do is gun it in front of them turn off all my lights (time attack style) until these idiots get it i continue to drive without lights

once they realize their stupidity i take off
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #19
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooface55 View Post
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
George Carlin
THIS^

I forgot about this quote. I used to use this all the time...

George Carlin is EPIC

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilabomb View Post
what i usually do is gun it in front of them turn off all my lights (time attack style) until these idiots get it i continue to drive without lights

once they realize their stupidity i take off
I acutally do this too. Most of them still don't get it.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:36 AM   #21
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

was wondering what was going on, i had emergency vehicles going past my house wake me up. my room is maybe 50 feet from the highway. sucks to hear about stuff like this, especially with how avoidable it was
Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #22
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
What makes you think they were speeding? Even traveling 80KPH (the posted limit) and hitting a STANDING vehicle can easily be fatal. Add to the fact that most people go 100KPH there, it's not wonder they did not survive.
From the CBC article from OP's post.

Sorry can't copy and paste article on mobile but link is http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/british-columbia/story/1.2159060
Or refer to second post quoted by dvst8

You're right that even if they were only travelling 80 km/hour into a parked vehicle the aftermath would be fatal, but however if one was travelling a safe speed in correlation to poor weather conditions (rain, fog) one would have more time to safely react to situations.

Why not drive down one of the travel lanes on a three lane highway at 3:50 AM?

Drove through that stretch of highway this morning and saw flowers set on accident site. RIP.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by hchang; 10-24-2013 at 10:22 AM.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #23
GG

guarntee u he was hogging the fast lane cruising........while the entire hwy was empty 3 in the morning

fast lane is for passing only

Old 10-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #24
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
The victim was a only son and was driving home from his fiances place. He was suppose to get married next year. His dad who works in that area heard about the accident, worked the entire day and found out late in the afternoon that it was his son who was in the fatal accident. Very tragic and sad.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #25
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,272 Times in 1,967 Posts
It's amazing how many new cars (namely SUVs) that don't have their lights on.

Do these people just turn off automatic lights? I'm pretty sure their default setting is 'active'.

I'm waiting for this shitty construction to go the fuck away. Just continues to bleed us all dry, financially and mentally.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: