REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Carbon Racing Project (https://www.revscene.net/forums/689635-carbon-racing-project.html)

2010 WRX 10-28-2013 02:40 PM

Carbon Racing Project

Hello Revscene members!

I've started something called Carbon Racing Project. The idea is to build and campaign a Bio-diesel rally car to raise awareness about alternative fuel sources.
The funds will come from sponsors and donations and at the end of the 2014 BC TSD Rally Championship, the car will be auctioned off and the proceeds will be donated to Vancouver Bio-diesel Co-op.
This is not about hating on petroleum cars or asking you to start hugging trees. It's meant to be fun and empowering and a good time for everyone involved. It's about trying something new, having some laughs and mostly about community.

The car
The idea is to source a diesel Subaru EE20 engine and transplant it into an Impreza chassis. As many of you know, It's been done before and even raced at Pikes Peak.

The Team
We're looking for everything from drivers and co-drivers to anyone who can turn a wrench or type on a keyboard. As a community project, it will take lots of involvement to move the project forward.

Please keep this thread free from arguments about the environment or Bio-diesel. Nobody is perfect when it comes to the environment so no need to hate. Post if you like the idea or if you want to be a part of it in any way. Even if that just means doing a coffee run or rolling by with some timbits :)

Here's the website I created to let people know what we are up to:
Carbon Racing Project

Please like us and share us on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/carbonracingproject

boatcaptain 10-28-2013 02:57 PM

sounds fun!! can i join?!?
Posted via RS Mobile

GabAlmighty 10-29-2013 07:29 AM

What he said^^ Make sure you keep this thread updated with pics and info.

murd0c 10-29-2013 07:38 AM

This should really be moved to Van auto chat so it doesn't get lost in the pointless BS that's posted here.

Prolowtone 10-29-2013 10:38 AM

Sounds like a ton of fun and would love to join, to bad i work away in Alberta so much.

CorneringArtist 10-29-2013 10:48 AM

I'd be in on helping out! And not a whole lot of us hate on diesel, I'm a fan of WVO conversion because of French fry exhaust smell :fullofwin:
Posted via RS Mobile

Prolowtone 10-29-2013 11:11 AM

lol i think that was part of my thoughts of a putting a diesel in my s12 hahaha. love the smell of french fries

MindBomber 10-29-2013 11:11 AM

I'm very skeptical.

The address is a townhouse; obviously not ideal to build a race car.

The Facebook page was created on Sunday.

The webpage is not much older than the Facebook page.

You don't appear to have any sponsors at present.

I don't see pictures of the proposed car or anything of that sort.

I hope to not be disappointed, but given these facts it's difficult to hold out much hope that this project will proceed to completion.

No offense, skepticism is important given the nature of the internet.

meme405 10-29-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 8349319)
I'm very skeptical.

The address is a townhouse; obviously not ideal to build a race car.

The Facebook page was created on Sunday.

The webpage is not much older than the Facebook page.

You don't appear to have any sponsors at present.

I don't see pictures of the proposed car or anything of that sort.

I hope to not be disappointed, but given these facts it's difficult to hold out much hope that this project will proceed to completion.

No offense, skepticism is important given the nature of the internet.

sponsor opportunities

Proposed car is there... I don't know who currently owns the car...

MindBomber 10-29-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8349320)
sponsor opportunities

Proposed car is there... I don't know who currently owns the car...

Thank you, I missed that.

lowside67 10-29-2013 11:23 AM

The entire website is RIDDLED with typos - every last section of that website has inconsistent capitalization, punctuation, even names.

One of your latest blog posts has only two sentences and still manages to have two typos.

"Here we go! Mike Thomspon has joined the project and we're thrilled to have him on board. He has a wealth of knowlede in the auto industry that will be essential to our project!"

Cool idea but whoever wrote that sponsorship page just needs to copy and paste it into word and look at all the glaring grammatical errors that Word will highlight. If you can't take the time to grammar and spell check your work, what faith do I have as a business owner that you are any more professional in the other areas of the project?

Mark

2010 WRX 10-29-2013 01:59 PM

Thanks for your support those of you who are interested in getting involved. For those that are skeptical, thanks for your honesty.
Yes the website and Facebook pages are new, as is the project. If anyone is into helping, maybe you can take a couple excerpts from the webpage and correct the typos? I'll paste them back into the website asap. It's not that I suck at grammar completely, I just wanted to get the project moving forward so you guys are the first to see the website and it's a work in progress. And it is intended to be a community project so thanks for your involvement.

FYI, the dark grey 2010 WRX in some of the pics is mine. The white STI belonged to me and now belongs to another member here... it's probably the cleanest JDM STI in Vancouver. The blue STI is Greg's who ran his diesel EE20 engine up Pikes Peak this year. He may be involved in the project moving forward.

meme405 10-29-2013 03:53 PM

Inb4 everyone wants to be driver...

rsx 10-29-2013 06:37 PM

I vote Samir to be the driver. If only he would listen.

2010 WRX 10-29-2013 08:27 PM

The driver is not selected yet, although there a couple guys that have lots of rally experience in the NASIOC VIC section. I'm open to anyone driving. There's a thread there too if anyone is interested.

Carbon Racing Project - NASIOC

falcon 10-29-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8349326)

Cool idea but whoever wrote that sponsorship page just needs to copy and paste it into word and look at all the glaring grammatical errors that Word will highlight. If you can't take the time to grammar and spell check your work, what faith do I have as a business owner that you are any more professional in the other areas of the project?

Mark

Microsoft Word. Turning C's into B's since 1998.

2010 WRX 12-04-2013 04:03 PM

It's been a while since I've posted on this topic and lots has been going on. A couple people have agreed to come on board and things are moving quickly now. The Vancouver Bio-diesel Co-op has pledged a $500 donation to the project and together with Recycling Alternative they are going to provide us with the fuel needed for the rally season!

Check them out here:

Recycling Alternative

https://vancouverbiodiesel.org/

A couple other people have pledged sponsorship and I'll post details as soon as we've finished discussions. We are well over $2000 and climbing! And there's other people that have taken leadership in various areas of the project. One area is the production of a YouTube video so people can see what we do as a community and what we're up to with the project. A member on NASIOC has taken this on. Keep an eye out for details, there's probably an opportunity to get involved.
And to everyone else who messaged me or offered to jump in, stay tuned. Thanks to everyone and keep up the support.

And RIP to the eternal Legend Paul Walker