REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   apartment key fob service (https://www.revscene.net/forums/689646-apartment-key-fob-service.html)

greenlantern 10-28-2013 08:11 PM

apartment key fob service

Hello anyone know who can service these key fib? My apartment key fob to enter works intermitently and strata wants $120 for a new one.
everything wirks ie garage opener its just the rfid part that isnt.

thanks in advance
Posted via RS Mobile

Presto 10-28-2013 08:16 PM

Have you tried changing the battery, yet?

punkwax 10-28-2013 08:23 PM

Battery won't help if it's the prox tag thats intermittent as they're passive devices.

$120 seems steep but might include programming & delivery if your strata doesn't do admin on the system locally..

To answer your question, I doubt you would find someone/where to service a fob.

Presto 10-28-2013 08:26 PM

Battery is the first thing I would try. FOBs do weird things when the battery is low. My car FOB can still unlock the door, but completely flakes with the RFID when the battery is low.

greenlantern 10-28-2013 08:49 PM

thank you for all the replies

unfortunately the rfid does not have anything to do w batteries.
its a smaill circle antena looking wire that is inside it and does not connect to battery.

for the sake of it I have replaced the battery, no luck.
garage opener operates on the battery but my problem is the rfid piece.

am thinking if its worth to buy a rfid scanner / reader off ebay for bout $25 and give it a try...
Posted via RS Mobile

m!chael 10-29-2013 12:38 AM

thumper 10-29-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodnarb (Post 8349021)
Battery won't help if it's the prox tag thats intermittent as they're passive devices.

$120 seems steep but might include programming & delivery if your strata doesn't do admin on the system locally..

To answer your question, I doubt you would find someone/where to service a fob.

ugh. $120 isn't the norm? that's what i was charged once for losing a remote :(

Mr.HappySilp 10-29-2013 07:44 AM

It sucks but you haave to go through your strata. I lost the fob once and what the strata does is they order these blank fobs and program them so it knows to only allow you certain access (only allow you to get off on yoru floor, ect etc...) so yea have to go throught them and $120 isn't expensive is the standard price.

Vulture 10-29-2013 08:14 AM

1. buy an rfid reader/writer off amazon for $50
2. also offer service to other tenants.
3. make MILLIONS!
4. buy your OWN apartment complex
5. charge tenants $10,000 to replace fobs
6. make BILLIONS!!

adambomb 10-29-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlantern (Post 8349038)
am thinking if its worth to buy a rfid scanner / reader off ebay for bout $25 and give it a try...
Posted via RS Mobile

I am thinking, is it worth ordering and waiting for something from ebay to "give it a try" that'll cost you $25, when for an extra $95 you can have your problem fixed at the end of the day, guaranteed.

What if the ebay part does not solve your problem? Then what? Your new fob will now have cost you $145.

Stop being so cheap. You use your fob everyday, most likely twice a day. $120 is the norm for new fobs in apartments. Think about how much cash you'll spend on a nice dinner. That's one meal in your life, now think about how often you have to walk in your front door and use your elevator. Pay for a new fob. :whine:

tool001 10-29-2013 09:06 AM

it wont work,, rfid, needs to be programmed into each entry system (using serial number) . ie. if i buy some cards from ebay/amazon. i wont know how the my entry system reads them till i try it out, and see the log for the system or. RFIDs have to be programmed for each system they will go on.

or if they are already programmed (imported) into the system. (usually the key cards cost $10, but fobs with other programmed buttons cost more)

Gridlock 10-29-2013 09:13 AM

Every time I try to do something the cheap way, it ends up being more.

Yeah, $120 sucks, but so does being locked out of your apartment. It isn't getting any warmer out there.

Cman333 10-31-2013 10:08 AM

^ Agreed with Gridlock.

Cheapest way often results in disaster.

As tool explained. It's not that easy to just reprogram an apartment key fob.

tiger_handheld 10-31-2013 06:17 PM

1. buy an rfid reader/writer off amazon for $50
2. also offer service to other tenants.
3. make MILLIONS!
4. buy your OWN apartment complex
5. charge tenants $10,000 to replace fobs
6. make BILLIONS!!
7. franchise
8. make TRILLIONS!