REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:46 AM   #151
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Oh won't anyone think of the children?

No, I don't think someone that smokes crack should be giving motivational speeches to children but c'mon...there are no kids in the media scrum and it's the parents responsibility to filter what their kids are exposed to and to teach them accordingly.

Spoiler!
Advertisement
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:48 AM   #152
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Oh won't anyone think of the children?

No, I don't think someone that smokes crack should be giving motivational speeches to children but c'mon...there are no kids in the media scrum and it's the parents responsibility to filter what their kids are exposed to and to teach them accordingly.

Spoiler!
A mayor does a lot of public events were kids are at.
Also teach kids not to be like the mayor?

The dude needs to go A.S.A.P.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #153
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
actually because of robertson i voted for the first time this past municipal election.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #154
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Why are we talking about a mayor from another city? Don't we have our own problems to deal with?

Toronto will deal with it. We, on the other hand, have to deal with our own fucktard. Actually, we are kind of lucky in that Vancouver proper is not all that large and we have mayors from the other municipalities in the mix. The problem is, they can't get together and agree on anyhting, LOL.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #155
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
I just enjoy how the "council" can't kick him out.

He either needs to resign, or have the public protest to get a referendum.

The laws.. so nice.. much sense. oh yeah.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #156
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,291 Times in 2,507 Posts
^^ At the provincial and federal level, I thought the MLA and MP can propose a motion of no confidence against the premier / prime minister, so I am surprised that at the municipal level, such a thing doesn't exist.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #157
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Looking forward to SNL this weekend and most likely Bobby Moynihan's impression of Rob Ford.

Speaking of Chris Farley and SNL:

2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #158

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
^^
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #159
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Was wondering why I hadn't heard the views of Ontarios premier

and here's her view which can be summed up by

Why the premier hasn?t sacked Rob Ford - Toronto - CBC News

Quote:
Why the premier hasn’t sacked Rob Ford
Premier Wynne suggests council's efforts to curtail mayor's powers are working
By Amber Hildebrandt, CBC News Posted: Nov 15, 2013 4:51 PM ET Last Updated: Nov 15, 2013 6:28 PM ET

The Ontario premier's cautious offer to intervene in Toronto's chaotic affairs may be an undemocratic risky gambit or a promising move, depending on who you ask.

Reaction from political experts was mixed after Premier Kathleen Wynne laid out her rules Thursday for the province to intervene in Toronto's ongoing saga involving Mayor Rob Ford.

The embattled mayor has been making headlines all over the world after admitting to smoking crack cocaine, buying illegal drugs in the past two years in office and drinking and driving.

Current provincial laws only allow the province to remove a mayor if he or she has been found guilty of a crime.

On Thursday, Wynne seemed to be suggesting she would be willing to amend those laws, to provide city council "with new tools," if it requested the province's help and if the other provincial parties were in agreement.

On Friday, however, Toronto councillors passed several motions stripping Ford of some of his powers.

In statements midday Friday, Wynne said it appeared that council decisions made in the morning demonstrated that it is "determined to find a way to make city council work.

"I believe the decisions made this morning are evidence that the council is working and can operate," she said in French.

She also said, in response to a reporter noting that Toronto councillors have been urging the mayor to step down: "He needs to pay close attention to what he’s being advised by the councillors and the people around him."

That latest development didn't stop political experts from mulling the possibility that provincial action could still occur.

Constitutional expert Bruce Ryder, at York University's Osgoode Law School, said the premier’s indication she’d be open to introducing amendments to municipal legislation, if asked, is "promising" and could bring about "useful" changes.

Among the changes he recommends is giving citizens the ability to initiate recall elections by starting a petition or by some kind of super-majority vote of the council. (Recall legislation exists at the provincial level in B.C., but it requires proponents to submit the signatures of 40 per cent of eligible voters in a given riding, a significant hurdle, to move forward.)

Other constitutional experts, however, say provincial intervention in this case is not without risk.

"It could backfire in a big way," cautioned Dennis Pilon, a York University political scientist.

That said, Pilon acknowledged that any action by Wynne's Liberal government could also prove very popular if removal of the mayor gains widespread public and city council support.

On Thursday, Wynne set out the parameters for an Ontario intervention in Toronto's municipal affairs, saying she'd need clear indication from council that they lack the ability to function plus a request from council.

Even then, the premier would consult with other party leaders to seek support for stepping in.

Ontario’s Progressive Conservative opposition, the party that Rob Ford's late father, Doug Ford, represented in the legislature in the 1990s, was mum on Wynne’s initial statement. But NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said the municipal level of government must be "treated with respect."

Wynne's added condition requiring all-party support reduces the pressure on her to act, suggested Pilon.

"She's trying to extend the cost of acting to other actors. She wants them to buy in," he said. "She’s gambling that public opinion at some point will force someone to act, and if it’s her, it won’t be able to be used against her."

Evidence council can operate

The chance of provincial intervention seemed to diminish further on Friday after city council took away Ford's powers during emergency situations as well as his ability to hire or fire the deputy mayor and appoint executive committee members.

"My sense is that councillors actually felt more comfortable taking steps where they, themselves, could reduce the mayor’s power," said Ron Kanter, a municipal lawyer and former city councillor. 'This may eliminate the need for provincial action.'

University of Toronto political scientist Nelson Wiseman suggested that the premier would likely need a very high majority of councillors, perhaps even as high as 40 out of 44, calling for the province's help before it would step in.

"I have always thought [provincial intervention] was highly unlikely unless you had, perhaps the overwhelming majority of council members pleading for it in a petition," he said.

Legal changes slow

Municipalities fall under the province's constitutional authority, giving Ontario the ability to dictate how they function and are administered.

The 'new tools" Wynne referred to would likely involve new legislation or amendments to current laws, such as the City of Toronto Act, which outlines the municipality’s powers.

Many political experts don't seem to support the province directly meddling in city affairs, but they do think the province could play a role in changing the rules to improve city politics overall.

"If the province wants to intervene, then it should intervene at the level of the governance model and say, 'That four-year term is looking like a bad idea now. Let’s go back to three-year terms'," suggested Pilon.

However, introducing new laws or amendments can take time, particularly in a minority government situation as is the case in Ontario.

And by the time any changes get made, that could be well "after the horse [has] left the barn,"Wiseman says.

It may be that Torontonians will have to wait until Oct. 27, 2014 — the fixed date for municipal elections in Ontario — for any reckoning to happen.

"Rob Ford is the kind of political phenomena that the best put down will come from the voters," said Pilon. "The only thing that will have any impact on him and his supporters is a serious dressing down by the public themselves."
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #160

iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #161
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
^^ At the provincial and federal level, I thought the MLA and MP can propose a motion of no confidence against the premier / prime minister, so I am surprised that at the municipal level, such a thing doesn't exist.
There's a significant difference in municipal politics, though (at least in this instance): the mayor doesn't get his seat be being the leader of the elected party... he's the mayor because the largest percentage of voters, voted specifically for him to hold that seat. It's actually more similar to the President of the US than it is to most other areas of Canadian politics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #162

^^ With the way things have moved at Queen's Park, Ford has largely been stripped of his powers as mayor, so at a practical level, he is kind of only the mayor in name now. Still, that is $150k+ of taxpayers' money going down his pockets.

If Ford has any decency left in him, he should really resign. In fact, had he resign much earlier, the majority of this dirty laundry would probably have been kept under the rug so to speak, and he'd be able to leave behind a much better name for himself.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #163

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
$150K, is this referring to his salary? Because I'm pretty sure he doesn't get paid. He's from a super rich family and I believe he opted out of receiving a salary.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by PeanutButter; 11-16-2013 at 11:27 AM.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #164
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,317 Times in 5,637 Posts
He lives in like a 1500 sq foot rancher by the look of it, doesn't look wealthy to me lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #165
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,559 Times in 1,709 Posts
FUCK. I'm so sick and tired of this whole media circus we play on public figures when a mistake is made. This story was interesting and funny for a week when it first came out, do we need to keep hearing about it for the next few months?

New idiots coming out of the woodwork accusing this guy of other bullshit, if this is all true, where the fuck were you when it was happening? These other counsel members saying he drank on the job, than why didn't you say something when you knew this?

It's all bullshit, it's all for the media, it's all for joeblow to get on TV and tell his or her little story about Rob Ford to get some attention. I'm so sick and tired how we do this as a society to people, there doesn't seem to be a limit to it all.

There are many things going on in the world right now, instead of concentrating on the important problems and issues facing our governments and societies, we concentrate on a mayor in Toronto who smoked some crack. Big fucking deal. We all have vices, how many politicians beat their wives? How many are alcoholics? How many are coke heads? How many fuck hookers on a regular basis? Who the fuck cares? We all love to act so holy, and throw stones when a person lives their life like a human being, why do we judge others to a degree we would not judge ourselves?

/rant
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #166
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
He lives in like a 1500 sq foot rancher by the look of it, doesn't look wealthy to me lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Crack ain't cheap.

...or he just bought a lot of it.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #167
RS controls my life!

I love Kimmel and now I love Ford!

Ford for elementary class president!!!!
xeryusx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
FUCK. I'm so sick and tired of this whole media circus we play on public figures when a mistake is made. This story was interesting and funny for a week when it first came out, do we need to keep hearing about it for the next few months?

New idiots coming out of the woodwork accusing this guy of other bullshit, if this is all true, where the fuck were you when it was happening? These other counsel members saying he drank on the job, than why didn't you say something when you knew this?

It's all bullshit, it's all for the media, it's all for joeblow to get on TV and tell his or her little story about Rob Ford to get some attention. I'm so sick and tired how we do this as a society to people, there doesn't seem to be a limit to it all.

There are many things going on in the world right now, instead of concentrating on the important problems and issues facing our governments and societies, we concentrate on a mayor in Toronto who smoked some crack. Big fucking deal. We all have vices, how many politicians beat their wives? How many are alcoholics? How many are coke heads? How many fuck hookers on a regular basis? Who the fuck cares? We all love to act so holy, and throw stones when a person lives their life like a human being, why do we judge others to a degree we would not judge ourselves?

/rant
No one said anything before because it's Rob Ford and he hangs with the Dixon street Bloods. Same thing happened Ex mayor of Sanfran. One woman came out, then a bunch of woman followed claim he had been sexually harassing them for years.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post

/rant
I wish I could Thank this a hundred times.

It seems to be almost an inherent trait of modern society (especially "liberal" Western society) to build up people who are in the public eye, then look for any opportunity to rip them down to show how morally superior we are... God forbid even the slightest flaw is ever found, because EVERYONE is going to want to take a swipe at it just so they can show they're "better" than this piece of trash, placing themselves on the same moral high ground as everyone else.

Self-righteous fucking TWITS.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
I wish I could Thank this a hundred times.

It seems to be almost an inherent trait of modern society (especially "liberal" Western society) to build up people who are in the public eye, then look for any opportunity to rip them down to show how morally superior we are... God forbid even the slightest flaw is ever found, because EVERYONE is going to want to take a swipe at it just so they can show they're "better" than this piece of trash, placing themselves on the same moral high ground as everyone else.

Self-righteous fucking TWITS.
And in eastern societies the rich and powerful can do what every they want and the rest suffer.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
And in eastern societies the rich and powerful can do what every they want and the rest suffer.
So this makes it okay to go all the way to the other extreme?
Quote:
Old 11-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #172

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
Yeah, it doesn't look like much, but according to wiki, it can hold one heck of a backyard bbq.

Quote:
Born in Etobicoke in 1969, Ford is the youngest of four children (Doug, Kathy, Randy and Rob) of Ruth Diane (née Campbell) and Douglas Bruce Ford, Sr.[8][9] Ford, Sr. was the founder of Deco Labels and Tags, which makes pressure-sensitive labels for plastic-wrapped grocery products at an estimated $100 million in annual sales.[10] As an indication of the family's wealth, the success of the family business allowed the family to build a six-bedroom home in Etobicoke, which has a swimming pool and gardens that can host nearly a thousand visitors.[10]
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #173
I am Hook'd on RS

Foralark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
$150K, is this referring to his salary? Because I'm pretty sure he doesn't get paid. He's from a super rich family and I believe he opted out of receiving a salary.
Posted via RS Mobile
According to this:

Yahoo News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

Ford's salary back in 2012 is $167,770.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #175
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Yeah, it doesn't look like much, but according to wiki, it can hold one heck of a backyard bbq.
That's his parent's house, not his. His parents house is a 3 story house with a pool and large patio.