REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 10-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Sydney Australia

In about a month will be heading down to Sydney for a little vacation for myself and to visit a friend.

I was wondering has anyone here on RS been to Sydney before? Any tips on things to do down there? And which hostel is good/cheap to stay at for at least 2-4 weeks!
Advertisement
gloors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I can't offer too much insight since I was only in Sydney for 3 days back in 2010. The best advice I can offer you is bring double the amount of money you would usually spend if you were in an American/Canadian city (a 12oz regular drip coffee at Starbucks was 4.50 AUD, CocaCola at 7/11 was on special 4.00 for two cans, a BBQ duck at a shitty hole-in-wall chinese restaurant was close to 40.00 AUD)

A few places I went to:

Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge

Katoomba Scenic World

Three Sisters Rock Formation

Bondi Beach
Old 10-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
I don't get it

I've stayed at a handful of hostels in Sydney. There wasn't one that I particularly liked and never went back to the same one. It all comes down to cost and location. Even hostels are very pricey, and they are even more so especially during their summer months.

If you want to stay at King's Cross, I would avoid Asylum as it was pretty grimy (but one of the cheapest ones).

Chinatown is pretty close to the CBD and has tons of hostels there. Of the ones I stayed there, I would probably recommend Base Hostel as it was generally clean and it's good if you like to party (there's a bar right next door). You can get a better rate if you pay by the week. On the contrary if you want quiet, then I'd suggest Big Hostel and it's just as clean.

Other than the things already mentioned above, I'd recommend checking out Manly Beach and Hunter Valley (day trip).

Expect your mind to be blown at how expensive normal things cost. Airport transfers cost you $15-16 one way (and it's only 8 km to their city centre). A bottle of water at a convenience store is 4$, but you can buy a bottle of wine for $6. Soft cones at McD's are only $0.30.

Last edited by Minata; 10-31-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Minata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

I am currently living in Sydney right now for school, I can definitely agree that the price is double from back home. Some additional things I can add to check out would be the fireworks at darling harbour every saturday at 830pm which is free and pretty nice, check out the taronga zoo, and the bondi to coogee walk.
wc19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
I STILL don't get it

I'm planning on going to Sydney next year and I'm wondering when is the best time to visit in terms of weather and price of the tickets. I'd rather not go when it's 30 degrees cause it's way too hot for me. Are tickets cheaper around September time or when are they cheaper usually?
etodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Everything said in Post 2 is what I was going to say

Have fun, I've been there plenty of times. It is more expensive than Vancouver though. Our summer is their winter, and vice versa.

Darling Harbour is one of my favorite places.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:03 AM   #7
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by etodac View Post
I'm planning on going to Sydney next year and I'm wondering when is the best time to visit in terms of weather and price of the tickets. I'd rather not go when it's 30 degrees cause it's way too hot for me. Are tickets cheaper around September time or when are they cheaper usually?
Well if you decide to go, the weather should be around spring. It's gonna start getting warm, it gets warm real quick and in summer it goes up to around 35 or so. September would be cheap since school will be starting for most people so it should be counted as an off peak time. Just go when everyone has school or work, and things will be cheaper.
dummytim is offline   Reply With Quote