REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #176
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Based on 1 incident? Any other reasons?

I'm from there. People used the N word like it was the word "Hello". I have a big nose and curly hair and got called "Jew" on a regular basis. I remember walking into a store and someone joking about picking up some fried chicken after they finished buying their watermelon.

Its a bunch of little things that contribute to it being a racist place. That, and there are no jobs there. Its a town full of minimum wage service positions so there are next to no opportunities there.

Its good in short doses I'll bet though. As a tourist and all.
Advertisement
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #177
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
I'm from there. People used the N word like it was the word "Hello". I have a big nose and curly hair and got called "Jew" on a regular basis. I remember walking into a store and someone joking about picking up some fried chicken after they finished buying their watermelon.

Its a bunch of little things that contribute to it being a racist place. That, and there are no jobs there. Its a town full of minimum wage service positions so there are next to no opportunities there.

Interesting.

Yeah, I usually just go there for day trips while my GF goes snowboarding on Mount Washington or if we go camping at Miracle Beach. Never really noticed anything like that.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #178

Each town has its own seedy elements if you spend enough time there. For instance, I legitimately like Duncan. I always thought it was a nice spot situated in a great little valley with easy access to both Victoria and Nanaimo. But I've also heard the "Drunken Duncan" stories.
Any place sounds like the worst place in British Columbia if you read enough of the local paper. Except for Surrey. This place really is the worst place in British Columbia.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2014, 12:02 AM   #179
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I think many people on RS would find themselves at home in those cities. Lots of blue collar jobs, cheap housing, and a place to work on their stable of 5-6 cars, bike, quad, etc. The only thing that would suck about living in those cities is getting parts to service the toys - you'd have to pay local distributers an arm and a leg, or wait like 2-3 weeks to get an exhaust shipped from the States to the Peace River.

Finding a wife might be difficult too, I suppose, because how many good looking and smart women stay in small towns? Not many, I reckon.
Posted via RS Mobile
I don't know about you, but the valley women are damn fine. Anything past Langley is where you find all the hot caucasian chicks.

If you go to a hospital anywhere in the lower mainland, you'll get served by the old filipino and old caucasian nurses where all the new hot nurse grads come out to the valley.
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:26 AM   #180
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
I think many people on RS would find themselves at home in those cities. Lots of blue collar jobs, cheap housing, and a place to work on their stable of 5-6 cars, bike, quad, etc. The only thing that would suck about living in those cities is getting parts to service the toys - you'd have to pay local distributers an arm and a leg, or wait like 2-3 weeks to get an exhaust shipped from the States to the Peace River.

Finding a wife might be difficult too, I suppose, because how many good looking and smart women stay in small towns? Not many, I reckon.
Posted via RS Mobile
Currently living in a shitty, small town. Not complaining too much, though. 22 acres on the top of a hill that I can snowmobile on in the winter and 4x4 during the summer... 10 minute drive from a super popular river float pick up point, so there are a million hotties during the warm season. Sure, getting car parts kinda sucks 'cause I'm no longer a two minute drive from the border, but gas is super cheap up here (filled up the other day @ $1.06/L) and I've got a hugely discounted account with Lordco, so replacement parts rarely cost me more than what I'd be paying at RockAuto anyway.

Best of all, no fucking Lower Mainland traffic. I'll gladly take the monthly semi-truck roll over on Hwy1 between Sorrento and Chase over Hwy1, 10 and 99 clusterfucks back on the Coast.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:31 AM   #181
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
they're mostly harmless, including myself
You're Brown!? Sorry, but on RS you have to assume everyone is asian until you meet them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post

Interesting, I have by no means spent a lot of time in Courtenay, but I have been there about 6-7 times, and I thought it was really nice and friendly. I pictured it as a pretty nice retirement place...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Interesting, I have by no means spent a lot of time in Courtenay, but I have been there about 6-7 times, and I thought it was really nice and friendly. I pictured it as a pretty nice retirement place...

I haven't lived there in over a decade but those were my experiences growing up and living there as a young adult. Your mileage may vary.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:32 AM   #183
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
After living a few years in Winnipeg, I'm looking forward to returning to Surrey.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #184

Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
I don't know about you, but the valley women are damn fine. Anything past Langley is where you find all the hot caucasian chicks.

If you go to a hospital anywhere in the lower mainland, you'll get served by the old filipino and old caucasian nurses where all the new hot nurse grads come out to the valley.
Women in the valley are different from women in the towns on the list. The valley is still pretty urban, so there are opportunities to make a decent living and/or settle down with a high-earning, good-looking guy.

However, women from small towns tend to leave for the big city/Lower Mainland. Chat up any waitress working at the triumvirate of chain restaurants and you'll discover that many of them are from the interior. Young women come here, make good money (cash), live the yuppie lifestyle (whether its downtown or in Kits), and spend their spare time partying and shopping. Then, hopefully before they're 30, they'll find a good guy to settle down with. Their opportunuties for that lifestyle are prettty limited in small towns.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #185
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
You're Brown!? Sorry, but on RS you have to assume everyone is asian until you meet them.
Brown(Indian) are Asians ya goof!
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #186
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
FECKIN GEWFFFF BRO!
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #187
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
Quote:
I'm brown/tanned during summer time.
boostfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #188
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Currently living in a shitty, small town.
loooooooooool
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #189
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Young women come here, make good money (cash), live the yuppie lifestyle (whether its downtown or in Kits), and spend their spare time partying and shopping.
Posted via RS Mobile

These are the type of girls I document banging

Women want to have fun without being tied down to some schlep
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #190
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
Iranians aren't brown. They're more of a beige color.
asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #191

Quote:
Chat up any waitress working at the triumvirate of chain restaurants and you'll discover that many of them are from the interior. Young women come here, make good money (cash), live the yuppie lifestyle (whether its downtown or in Kits), and spend their spare time partying and shopping. Posted via RS Mobile
You speak like this is a bad thing. Keep that hoe-train of young, naïve girls rolling into Metro Vancouver.

Chooo Chooo!!! Welcome to Vancouver, Young ladies. This is your stop.

Oops, you've hit your thirties? The train back to the BC interior leaves in 30 minutes.
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #192
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambomb View Post
You speak like this is a bad thing. Keep that hoe-train of young, naïve girls rolling into Metro Vancouver.

Oops, you've hit your thirties? The train back to the BC interior leaves in 30 minutes.

Bwahaha!!!
Old 01-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #193

Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambomb View Post

All the power to you guys. My overall point was that small town living is great for certain things (space and cost of living), but not so great for others (the lack of young, and attractive women).
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
Brown(Indian) are Asians ya goof!
People say this, and TBH its normally Asians who say this, like the real asians, chinese people, japanese people, koreans, etc.

The truth is that no, it isn't the same thing. If you go back historically, and I am speaking as an iranian on this, but the story is simillar for Indian's and a lot of other middle eastern countries, we are decendants of the Arian race. Whereas Asians quite simply are not.

By your logic, russians are asians, but thats not exactly true now either, or another good one is that Jesus was Asian due to the fact that jerusalem is in "asia".

So no this generalization does not work, the middle east and "asia" are two very different places, and in general have a pretty clear divide.

EDIT: oh and I would refrain from calling people "a goof" online, because I do not know you and you do not know me, so I could easily mis-interpret this and think you are calling me by the very inappropriate meaning of the term. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=goof). I am going to take it as you meant goofball or w/e, but I seriously suggest you do not use that phrase around or against people you do not know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
I'm brown/tanned during summer time.
Haha gotcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahai69 View Post
Iranians aren't brown. They're more of a beige color.
As discussed above, you are right we are a lot lighter skinned, but that comes from our arian decendancy, I have a few iranian friends who actually have blue eyes.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:50 PM   #195
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
People say this, and TBH its normally Asians who say this, like the real asians, chinese people, japanese people, koreans, etc.

The truth is that no, it isn't the same thing. If you go back historically, and I am speaking as an iranian on this, but the story is simillar for Indian's and a lot of other middle eastern countries, we are decendants of the Arian race. Whereas Asians quite simply are not.

By your logic, russians are asians, but thats not exactly true now either, or another good one is that Jesus was Asian due to the fact that jerusalem is in "asia".

So no this generalization does not work, the middle east and "asia" are two very different places, and in general have a pretty clear divide.

EDIT: oh and I would refrain from calling people "a goof" online, because I do not know you and you do not know me, so I could easily mis-interpret this and think you are calling me by the very inappropriate meaning of the term. (Urban Dictionary: goof). I am going to take it as you meant goofball or w/e, but I seriously suggest you do not use that phrase around or against people you do not know.

Haha gotcha.

As discussed above, you are right we are a lot lighter skinned, but that comes from our arian decendancy, I have a few iranian friends who actually have blue eyes.

They're technically "Asian" because they live in Asia... not because of their skin colour or anything else...

The same way we're North American because, well, we live in North America...

Edit: Oh, and the word goof may be slang for what's been written in the Urban Dictionary online, but it's real meaning is that of a simpleton or of a mistake...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #196
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:

EDIT: oh and I would refrain from calling people "a goof" online, because I do not know you and you do not know me, so I could easily mis-interpret this and think you are calling me by the very inappropriate meaning of the term. (Urban Dictionary: goof). I am going to take it as you meant goofball or w/e, but I seriously suggest you do not use that phrase around or against people you do not know.

Haha gotcha.

I'm pretty sure you are talking about Aryan which is not really a race. Nor would it be politically correct to consider yourself Aryan given the political context of the term. I'm pretty sure the jews would like to have a talk with you and your iranian relatives who call themselves Aryan.
Posted via RS Mobile
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #197
I STILL don't get it

Aryan = the Swiss, no?

clean, rich, intelligent, patek philippe.
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #198

this might be helpful

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post

They're technically "Asian" because they live in Asia... not because of their skin colour or anything else...

The same way we're North American because, well, we live in North America...

Edit: Oh, and the word goof may be slang for what's been written in the Urban Dictionary online, but it's real meaning is that of a simpleton or of a mistake...
I know exactly why they are calling me asian, my point was that while technically I may be "asian", calling me asian in reality is not really fair.

When we refer to someone as asian in day-to-day society, we are talking about chinese people/ japanese/ korean, etc. When you refer to someone from india, or iran, or serbia, etc. most people would call them brown.

Again this has nothing to do with skin colour, so do not get that impression, this simply has to do with how the word is associated. As I previously mentioned if you were describing a russian friend of yours would you refer to him as "an asian buddy of mine"? Probably not.

About the term Goof, while it can be harmless in many contexts, I do not recommend anyone uses this word, as some people can take it as extremely offensive. I would rather be called an idiot or stupid, than be called a goof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
I'm pretty sure you are talking about Aryan which is not really a race. Nor would it be politically correct to consider yourself Aryan given the political context of the term. I'm pretty sure the jews would like to have a talk with you and your iranian relatives who call themselves Aryan.
Posted via RS Mobile
You apparently have a very short understand of history.

Just because Aryanism/Arianism (i have seen this spelled both ways I think the former is the more current usage) was used as a qualitative requirement by the Nazi's it does not mean that Aryan's agree with the philosophy. Also it the word was there long before the Nazi's so it is not something that will go away just because it was tied to a very unfortunate Genocide.

You guys have to understand that the Persian empire at one point encompassed much of what is now europe. Many of the Iranians in Vancouver and California, are atleast in part Zoroastrian, which means we direct descendants of the persian empire, very different from a lot of other Iranians. I guess the most easily identifiable comparison would be French-canadians and other canadians. While we both live and come from the same country the two are not exactly one and the same...

Last edited by meme405; 01-18-2014 at 03:09 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #200

This post thanked by: