REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #51
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
i just hate that the majority of the ppl i deal with on craigslist are from surrey.

far ass meetups
Advertisement
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #52
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
Cloverdale is the same way... I don't really get it.

Cloverdale is one of those weird areas like Aldergrove that is located between two larger municipalities. It makes it harder to identify where someone is from if you just say "Cloverdale". Since its basically the border between Surrey and Langley it gets lumped into "Surrey" as Aldergrove is sometimes lumped into Langley as it serves as the border area between Langley and Abbotsford.

The same with White Rock. Everything south west of the freeway is basically White Rock. The imaginary boundary between Surrey and White Rock that begins at 16th avenue is a lot more ambiguous than highway 99.

"I live in Belcarra". "Oh, well thats nice of you to come down here to the city. Is that near Kelowna?"
"No. Its Belcarra. We're in the same area code"
"Where is that? Is that between Chilliwack and Hope?"
"Its near Port Moody"
"Oh, why didn't you say that then?"
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #53
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
hahaha, yeah....my friend does that....i'm like, "bitch, u is a surrey girl...don't even"
Look at you, all talking black, brainwashed from rock and rap.

Gurl, you be straight trippin'.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #54
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
The same with White Rock. Everything south west of the freeway is basically White Rock. The imaginary boundary between Surrey and White Rock that begins at 16th avenue is a lot more ambiguous than highway 99.
where does that put south surrey then? if anything white rock is basically south surrey and not vice versa. If i lived in Anmore i would just say i lived in port moody, but if i lived in port moody i wouldnt go around telling everyone i lived in anmore
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #55
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
Cloverdale is the same way... I don't really get it.
It's just specificity. Surrey's a large community. In distinguishing between whether a person lives in Cloverdale, Fleetwood, Guilford, Fraser Heights, Newton, Whalley, or South Surrey a more accurate description is presented. Vancouverites show the same specificity. A Vancouverite usually distinguishes between whether they live in East Van, Kitsilano, Mount Pleasant, and so on. I don't see why it bothers people when Surrey folk do it, while Vancouverites doing it's no big deal.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #56
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
People from White Rock and Cloverdale get pissy when you say they're from Surrey. Other than a couple snobs I know from the West End, I've never come across anyone in Vancouver getting pissed off because you said they're from Vancouver rather than any of those places you mentioned.

That's the difference.
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #57
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
where does that put south surrey then? if anything white rock is basically south surrey and not vice versa. If i lived in Anmore i would just say i lived in port moody, but if i lived in port moody i wouldnt go around telling everyone i lived in anmore

South Surrey = Just the southern part of Surrey to most.
I'd wager that your average East Vancouver suburbanite won't understand that there is a difference between the area around Morgan Creek and Whalley.
Surrey is an amorphous blob of a municipality where "bad things happen".

I think its time to divide the municipality into smaller districts so that those who spend 1.2mil on a home don't have the same as living in the same city that was once car theft capital of North America.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #58
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii
People from White Rock and Cloverdale get pissy when you say they're from Surrey. Other than a couple snobs I know from the West End, I've never come across anyone in Vancouver getting pissed off because you said they're from Vancouver rather than any of those places you mentioned.

That's the difference.
White Rock is an entirely independent municipality. It's not correct to tell an East Van resident they live in Burnaby, nor is it correct to tell a White Rock resident they live in Surrey. The proximity of the four cities noted doesn't mean they're indistinguishable. I haven't met someone from Cloverdale like you describe, but you've noted you've met the same types of people from the West End. Vancouver and Surrey are thus not dissimilar on this front.

You've not proven your point.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #59
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I haven't noticed too many people get upset when I call Cloverdale as being part of Surrey, but man oh man, so many of my friends live in White Rock/Crescent Beach and they haaaaate it when I correct them and tell them they live in Surrey. Funny enough, the people I know who live in Morgan Creek (the expensive part, not the townhouse area) simply say they live in Surrey and don't bother distinguishing themselves from the rest of the city.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #60

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
...hope you guys know that the mailing address for someone who lives in the Southern part of Surrey, actually does say "South Surrey." It's not an elitist thing at all but a simple representation of their address/location.

Morgan Creek isn't South Surrey, which is why people from there wouldn't mind saying they live in Surrey...go up the hill however, and you slowly enter the region of South Surrey.

It isn't a big deal really...I find more often than not (not saying I haven't run into some kiddos who feel the need to distinguish themselves saying they live in SOUTH Surrey, when really they don't) but it's people who live in the rest of Surrey who get irritated that there is a distinction between South Surrey and Surrey. Who cares lol. Let it be.

Interesting enough, I never hear about people getting upset at others for distinguishing themselves as "North Surrey." Curious as to what it is about "South Surrey" that always has people up in arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
I think its time to divide the municipality into smaller districts so that those who spend 1.2mil on a home don't have the same as living in the same city that was once car theft capital of North America.
No, that's okay...we don't mind being associated with "Surrey." And yes, I was voted in last night to speak on behalf of all of South Surrey/White Rock/North Delta and whatever other region that might have a better rep than "Surrey" overall.

The beauty of all this is...is that it's all TRIVIAL, irrelevant in the way the world works. Being apart of Surrey, South Surrey or Vancouver will not determine whether or not I get a job, whether or not I can afford a house or a car, whether or not I will enjoy the same rights and luxuries as the next person. It simple comes into play when someone wants to find me or needs to mail something to me.

Last edited by parm104; 11-03-2013 at 02:16 PM.
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #61
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I used to always say I simply lived in "Langley." Not "South Langley," not the "Township of Langley," and not "Brookswood." A city is a city and even though Brookswood is/was the nice part of town, it seem silly to identify yourself with where you're from.

Just seems shallow.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #62

it doesnt bother me when people say they live in south surrey, just as it doesnt bother me when someone says they live in fleetwood or newton or whalley. its people who live in south surrey who are ashamed that they live in surrey and say they live in white rock.

if you live in that white box, you live in white rock. if you live south of colebrook road and west of 200th youre in south surrey

Old 11-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #63
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
People say Anmore and Belcarra because they are pretentious douche bags. This is the same reason I say I live in "Brow of The Hill" instead of New West.

People look down at me when I say New West....Brow of The Hill is all refined n' shit.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
People say Anmore and Belcarra because they are pretentious douche bags. This is the same reason I say I live in "Brow of The Hill" instead of New West.

People look down at me when I say New West....Brow of The Hill is all refined n' shit.
Anmore and belcarra are seperate municipalities, as is white rock. theres nothing pretentious about saying you live there if you actually do. its different than people who dont actually live in the municipality of white rock but say they do
Old 11-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #65
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
When I lived in Morgan Creek I would tell people that I lived in south Surrey. Because honestly, fuck the North side with it's Whalley ghettos and 7 family Clayton heights homes.

Surrey used to be a nice place but it truly has become a city recently, bringing with it all the problems that go along with being a city. I wouldn't call it the worst place, by far. But it's not this utopia that some are calling it.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #66
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
who cares.. honestly.. sure have pride in your hometown but, every place has had its downturns and upturns..
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #67
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Morgan Creek isn't South Surrey
Morgan Creek is in South Surrey. I think anything south of the Nickel Mackel from King George (and further west to Crescent Beach) to 176ish is considered South Surrey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Morgan Creek is in South Surrey. I think anything south of the Nickel Mackel from King George (and further west to Crescent Beach) to 176ish is considered South Surrey.
The difference between "thinking" and "considering" and facts are huge...Morgan Creek, the original Morgan Creek not some shit developers made up afterwards like Morgan Acres or some townhouses that want to play off the idea of Morgan Creek...is in Surrey.

Contact Us | Morgan Creek Golf Course

Lemme know what city the address there says, mmk.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #69
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
who cares.. honestly.. sure have pride in your hometown but, every place has had its downturns and upturns..
So true. I grew up in a beautiful area. Postcard pretty. Down the road was a place everyone called "dogpatch". Tell you a litle something about what it was like?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #70
Waxin’ Punks

No one's address in South Surrey says "South Surrey." If its not White Rock, its Surrey.

It's considered South Surrey due to the geographical location in Surrey.

Let me know if you wanna continue, mmk.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
No one's address in South Surrey says "South Surrey." If its not White Rock, its Surrey.

It's considered South Surrey due to the geographical location in Surrey.

Let me know if you wanna continue, mmk.
Haha okay, this is a pretty dumb argument. "No one's address" says South Surrey. Invite you come to check our mail kiddo.

Enjoy whatever address you want and whatever city you want to be apart of. To each their own. This is exactly the kind of argument that I had just said was pointless a few hours ago yet here I am taking part in it.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #72
Waxin’ Punks

I agree, the argument is dumb but google the address for Semiahmoo Mall. Couldn't be more South Surrey as it borders White Rock. The actual address is Surrey.

I've lived in South Surrey for a while. I've had mail say South Surrey as well, but the actual address is a Surrey address.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-04-2013, 03:51 AM   #73
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I was born and raised in Vancouver and never really got the whole "I'm from south Surrey" or "I'm from Delta", imo it's the same shit.

And on the topic of Delta...I was a bday party last month and my friends boss who lives in "Delta" starts going on a rant about Surrey so he's going on and on about how Delta is so much nicer than Surrey (this was news to me) and how the homes are superior so I go "isn't Delta basically Surrey?" Dude flips out, raises his voice starts going on a crazy rant about homes been worth more, less crime, less EI families (dude was EI, I'm EI?) and has more "richer" people living there.

Again this was news to me because Delta and Surrey look the same to me when I drive through both but I always find it funny when Surrey/Delta people flip out about what areas they live in. If you live in Shaughnessy or the the BP's you do have some bragging rights but bragging about different sections of Surrey? Vancouver? Delta? Come on now.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:31 AM   #74
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Growing up in Kamloops I refered to everything from Abbotsford to West Van as Vancouver. My extended family lived in White Rock but most people back home didn't know where that was.

When I moved to Bowen Island I found out it was a part of the West Van political riding. I could tell people I lived in West Van and they'd think I was money. Kids in highschool from Bowen have to attend in West Van and apparently they got made fun of for living there.

I would gladly choose Surrey over Abbotsford. Most of my things remain packed incase I find a better situation elsewhere.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #75
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I (and most ppl I associate with) never have to go outside of vancouver, burnaby, Richmond (occasionally new west, coquitlam and north/west van). Surrey just isn't a priority to us . I personally have not stepped in surrey since forever and don't plan on going there anytime soon. Is good to see surrey is improving but that won't change ppl's impression. IMO, surrey will always be the shitty part in gvrd.
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote