REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Blackfish

The Sundance film Blackfish has been airing on CNN over the past week.

I watched it twice, and it was a great documentary on an issue that's long interested and concerned me. I was wondering whether anyone here watched it and would like to share their thoughts/discuss?

Here's the wikipedia page, good for a tl;dr:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackfish_(film)

Here's the trailer:

It's coming out on Netflix on Nov. 11, I checked for anyone wondering.
Advertisement
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
I really want to watch this, but I have a very hard time watching these types films.

Emotionally, it stays with me for days and I feel very helpless.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

^ no kidding. Have you ever watched "Dear Zachary" ?
Delish is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
I really want to watch this, but I have a very hard time watching these types films.

Despair. That's what I would call it. That's how I felt after watching "The Cove".
Old 11-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

The Cove still guts me today...
Old 11-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,577 Times in 4,294 Posts
Quote:
The Cove still guts me today...
Saddest and sicked documentary I have ever seen... thanks for reminding me about it
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Watched this sometime in September.

I had an understanding of some things that were going on but there was a lot more I didn't know.

The thing that made me feel the worst was the limp dorsal fins. Fuck I hate that they're kept in tanks.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I just watched Blackfish recently. I found it so interesting how the main male whale under question was from BC (well Iceland originally..but you know what I mean)!!

Like the cove, Blackfish left me feeling super sad. I think Blackfish hit home a little differently though. I thought the cove was so gut wrenching, their editing style, the graphic shots they captured under water etc. But in the case of Blackfish, I think the most unsettling feeling I got from it stemmed from the fact that Tilikum is still alive and at Seaworld.......
sloansabbith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:01 AM   #9
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
If anyone wants to watch it right now, it just started on CNN

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
E-40six is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #10
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:

This is very cliche, but the difficulty of the experiences are why they're so worthwhile watching.

Last edited by MindBomber; 11-03-2013 at 12:24 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #11
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I think the unsettled feelings we get from watching them spark conversation, and from these a healthy discourse arises for social change.
sloansabbith is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #12
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
this popped up on 9gag as the documentary was airing

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
E-40six is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2013, 01:22 AM   #13
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
It was a good documentary, and presents valid points.

Not as tough/gut-wrenching to watch as The Cove though.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:28 AM   #14
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
i'm pretty split on aquariums and zoos... on one hand you're imprisoning animals, sometimes subjecting them to torturous conditions, for life and it feels like it goes against all morals and ethics. On the other hand, the suffering of a few members of their species presents a great opportunity for people to research and learn about these animals. Maybe in the long term it will be for the species' own greater benefit by allowing humans to make scientifically sound environmental decisions.
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #15
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
There's nothing to be learned by watching captured animals in a zoo or aquarium.

As a child, I remember having to go to the zoo in Stanley Park when they had a real zoo there. The only thing I learned on those school field trips were how wrong it was to cage up animals.

As a parent, I don't ever recall taking my children to any kind of zoo. They never saw a giraffe or an elephant. They've seen enough wildlife documentary films to know about them.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #16
Banned By Establishment

I think it is best to take a kid to volunteer at a wildlife rescue facility if they want an up close and personal experience with an animal. These facilities and organizations can teach the importance of animals being kept in their natural habitat and the downside of human encroachment on their lands.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #17
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Posted via RS Mobile
CL_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #18
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

It's wrong to breed wild/exotic animals in captivity too, it's just as bad as capturing them from the wild.

They loose their wild instincts(some of them) and wont be able to fend for themselves, if they ever get released to the wild.
blagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #19
I bringith the lowerballerith

the part that really got me was when they interviewed one of the divers, the old dude with tattoos, when he broke down recalling the moment when they captured the young ones, and the whole fam just kept communicating to the whale, all helpless watching their kid get taken away, that really hit me hard.

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
kayceeee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #20
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Documentaries: Presenting biased opinions, one highly edited cut scene at at time.

Not saying that's the case in this situation, but it's something to always keep in the back of your mind when watching this type of film.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #21
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayceeee View Post
the part that really got me was when they interviewed one of the divers, the old dude with tattoos, when he broke down recalling the moment when they captured the young ones, and the whole fam just kept communicating to the whale, all helpless watching their kid get taken away, that really hit me hard.
gutting.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #22
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,219 Times in 1,961 Posts
I will definitely have to check this film out.

One thing I've always hated is when people anthropomorphize animal behaviour. Unless you're an animal psychologist or even a student of animal behaviour studies, attributing human qualities to an animal is condescending, disrespectful and dangerous.

Personally, I never call an animal 'cute' or say 'awwww' when you show me a photo of a kitten playing with a ball of yarn. Animals are not dumb. They learn and develop like any other life form does including expressing love for their offspring.

Zoos / Aquariums remind me of slavery. If a slave is offered food and housing for demeaning work, they have two options:

i.) Do the work and continue to live
ii.) Do not do the work and probably die

I'm pretty sure some animals decided on option two because they couldn't get used to their confined space. How many younlings died at the Vancouver Aquarium?

**I'm not animal psychologist either. I'm just ranting because my news feed on FB gets polluted with photos of cats with retarded captions
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #23
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
I will definitely have to check this film out.

One thing I've always hated is when people anthropomorphize animal behaviour. Unless you're an animal psychologist or even a student of animal behaviour studies, attributing human qualities to an animal is condescending, disrespectful and dangerous.

Personally, I never call an animal 'cute' or say 'awwww' when you show me a photo of a kitten playing with a ball of yarn. Animals are not dumb. They learn and develop like any other life form does including expressing love for their offspring.

Zoos / Aquariums remind me of slavery. If a slave is offered food and housing for demeaning work, they have two options:

i.) Do the work and continue to live
ii.) Do not do the work and probably die

I'm pretty sure some animals decided on option two because they couldn't get used to their confined space. How many younlings died at the Vancouver Aquarium?

**I'm not animal psychologist either. I'm just ranting because my news feed on FB gets polluted with photos of cats with retarded captions
I do absolutely agree, anthropomorphism is overall dangerous and detrimental to non-human animals and science, but your post is a bit backwards. It is not anthropomorphism to call a domesticated cat 'playing' cute, because it's describing a quality rather than a behaviour. The term 'cute' has no place in strictly scientific observation, but casually observing domesticated cat behaviour is not science. Treating casual observation of domesticate car behaviour as scientific observation suggests you are taking things too seriously, chill out. Now, referring to behaviour as 'playing' and 'expressing love' are examples of anthropomorphism, which is what you oppose. I'll note that anthropomorphism of a domesticated cat is not a big deal, because the worst case outcome is basically being scratched. A potentially dangerous animal - like a horse - is an different story. You're on point otherwise, and food starvation is a 'training method' Seaworld employees quite heavily so you'll probably enjoy the documentary, since you mentioned just that in your post.

Don't take my disagreement with you on cats as confrontational; it's just respectful disagreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayceeee View Post
No doubt, man. The old dude with tattoos sounds like his story is interesting, I'd love to read more about him.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #24
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post

Personally, I never call an animal 'cute' or say 'awwww'
I challenge you to come to my house and meet my buddy Gandalf
Old 11-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #25
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,219 Times in 1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Don't take my disagreement with you on cats as confrontational; it's just respectful disagreement.
Not at all. I guess I'm just speaking from my personal dealings with house pets.

I don't have any myself but many of my friends do. I found it incredible how quickly they would bond with me. The irony is I am never the one to run up to them, yell 'Awww' and talk to them like they are a retarded baby.

I remember my friend's Siamese rolled onto her back after knowing me for only 40 min. I thought she just wanted a rub. Turns out cats expose their bellies to those they most trust as the stomach is the most sensitive part of their body.

Most other animals I've interacted with are very friendly with me despite my non embracing nature. Usually I'll go up to them, looking at them in the eyes. Then I'll hold my clenched fist out and let them sniff around. Typically, they'll walk away. From there, we'll slowly interact with each other. I use body language and hardly ever open my mouth and in short time, they remember me. My other friend's cat would follow me after I would leave my friend's place. Couple of times he actually followed me out the door, shit scaring my friend, lol.

Maybe I just hold too much respect for animals that it offends me to see them portrayed in such ways (FB photos) since they don't have control of the situation. Now I just block the people who spam them and now my newsfeed exudes some class (whatever class FB has left) .
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote