REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 11-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
BC Rental Application

so now that my suite is ready to get rented out again..I've got TONS of calls and views...obviously i'm going to be picky.

I'll be using the following application to 'filter' possible renters:

http://www.tenantsbc.ca/images/Rental%20Application.pdf

but is there something better to use?

Here is a quick view of what the application form asks for:

This is an application to rent: __________________________________________________ ___________
Name: __________________________________________ Date of Birth: __________________________
Tel: ______________________________ Email: _______________________________________________
Current Address: ________________________________________ City: ___________________________
Dates of Tenancy: __________________________________________________ _____________________
Name of Landlord: _____________________________ Landlord Phone: ___________________________
Reason for Leaving: __________________________________________________ ___________________
Additional Occupants:
Name: __________________________________________________ _____ Age: _____________________
Name: __________________________________________________ _____ Age: _____________________
Pets: YES NO Describe: __________________________________________________
Smoking: YES NO Describe: __________________________________________________
Employment Status & Income Verification:
Occupation: _______________________________________________ Wage: _______________________
Company: __________________________________________________ ____________________________
How long have you worked at this company? __________________________________________________
Other income description (eg. Disability, Income Assistance, Savings): ____________________________________
Vehicle Information:
Make: ___________________________ Model: _________________________ Year: ________________
References:
1. Name: _______________________________________ Phone: _______________________________
Relationship (previous landlord, employer): __________________________________________________
2. Name: _______________________________________ Phone: _______________________________
Relationship (previous landlord, employer): __________________________________________________
I hereby state that the information contained herein is true and I authorize my References as listed above to
release information regarding my employment and/or past/current tenancies. I also authorize a credit check to be
conducted.
Signed: _______________________________________ Dated: ___________________________________
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Under "TENANT VETTING" I give a link to the BCAOMA application that I use (http://www.revscene.net/forums/68903...-landlord.html).

I find it covers everything.

Truthfully, the Tenancy Agreement is the one that counts....as long as you get Name, DOB, SIN, references, Job info, and permission to conduct ref/credit checks..it doesn't really matter.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
PM me your e-mail, and I'll send ours over. Ours has a few more conversation starters that can help in the vetting process.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Under "TENANT VETTING" I give a link to the BCAOMA application that I use (http://www.revscene.net/forums/68903...-landlord.html).

I find it covers everything.

Truthfully, the Tenancy Agreement is the one that counts....as long as you get Name, DOB, SIN, references, Job info, and permission to conduct ref/credit checks..it doesn't really matter.
You're not supposed to ask for SIN when renting property, you can do a credit check without it.

From Service Canada Site:
Who can ask for my SIN and when don't I have to provide my SIN? - Service Canada
Quote:
When don’t I have to provide my SIN?

Some private-sector organizations may ask for your SIN. This practice is strongly discouraged, but it is not illegal.

Here are examples of when you don’t have to give your Social Insurance Number:
1.proving your identity (except for specific government programs)
2.completing a job application before you get the job
3.completing an application to rent a property
4.negotiating a lease with a landlord

5.completing credit card application
6.cashing a cheque
7.applying for a video club membership
8.completing some banking transactions (mortgage, line of credit, loan)
9.completing a medical questionnaire
10.renting a car
11.subscribing to long-distance or cellular telephone services
12.writing a will
13.applying to a university or college.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

"This practice is strongly discouraged, but it is not illegal."
Old 11-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Personally, if a potential landlord asked me for my SIN, I'd just leave the line blank and go to the next item. That's one of the few pieces of government ID I refuse to give up unless it's absolutely necessary.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
Banned By Establishment

I go either way with it. It's coming up more and more.

If they lead with it, and tell me in a snarky manner then I use it as a good indicator that I probably don't want to deal with them. If 9 digits is sending you over the edge, wait until your toilet is acting like a geyser. I'm sure you'll tell me how to do my job then too.

oh! And of course, 20% turn to the SIN conversation to avoid the "my credit is shit" conversation.

I usually don't run credit on every tenant. I've always said that if you need a credit report and references to make your decision, you are making a BAD decision.

If its someone I want in the building, and they gave me a nice speech on SIN, I run it. Hands down. The not nice SIN speeches get bounced.

These are the things we are looking for. If you give me attitude here, you'll give it everywhere. I mean, sometimes we need to put butts in seats(like now lol)

Last edited by Gridlock; 11-04-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post

oh! And of course, 20% turn to the SIN conversation to avoid the "my credit is shit" conversation.
Credit checks can be done without a SIN.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
But you don't even need a SIN to pull a credit check.

I never make a point of bringing up the fact that I usually leave it blank. If I get asked, I usually just say I'm not comfortable giving that information willynilly to people I don't know (yet)... but they're more than welcome to get my credit history if they still want to deal with me.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. I am aware you don't NEED a SIN to do a credit check but it is easier.

A lot of the times only a few fields will match on the verification site. It is shocking how little accurate information there is on someone's credit bureau report. On mine, it hasn't listed a correct address in 8 years. My ex had his middle and first name reversed.

The more information that can be entered, the better chance there will be a match. When people do not provide a SIN, the chances are higher that I will get the "Unable To Locate Match" message back. Then what?

It is also made harder when people have changed their name(s)....or use their "Canadian" name on some things, but not others, or go by their maiden name, etc.

The best two fields to enter are the DOB and SIN. Almost guaranteed a match.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Credit checks can be done without a SIN.
Yes.

I have found that people will tend to use it as a smokescreen. There are a LOT of misinformed beliefs on credit in general, and checks in particular.

Yes. You do not need a SIN, but Dino explained that quite well.

Yes. Checking your credit will affect your credit. I don't know why. I think its bullshit too. Fuck banks.

No, I can't otherwise affect your score. I am not offering credit, therefore I can report unpaid rent to credit bureaus.

No. I don't always care what the score is. In my head, I compare quality of apartment, location of apartment, and cost of apartment to what I can reasonably expect from a person that rents it. Am I renting a tired heap of shit? Then that person isn't going to make 50k a year and have an 750 score.

I had a guy that declared in his mid-20's. Bad choices I guess. Best tenant in that building, and one of the best we've ever dealt with. Credit was beyond fucked. He didn't even tell us(which is a huge no no in my world).

So what am I looking for on a credit check?

Legit reasons?

1. Is there anything huge that is going to call you up and remove money from your life.
2. Do you have a timely respect for paying bills on time.

Not so legit?

1. Do you react weird to my suggestion that we do credit checks?
2. Go bonkers at the idea that I'm overstepping my bounds?
3. Just watch you in general. Why don't we check the obvious good ones? They have no story. They have money, a job and dress nice. My job is to get them in my building. Others, they have a story. I want to shake it out. That sentence starts with, "well, funny story"

>my boyfriend did so and so
>my mother stole my identity

Those were both legit answers by the way.

So when someone is obstructionist on the SIN, it gives me pause. I'll tell you Lomac...NO ONE ever just leaves it blank. EVER.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #12
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post

Yes. Checking your credit will affect your credit. I don't know why. I think its bullshit too. Fuck banks.
Checking your credit doesn't really affect your credit in the way that people think....meaning, it doesn't lower your score.

For those who know what a credit report look like, the bureau lists all recent applications....it can look something like this:

TENANCY VERIFICATION
TD VISA APPLICATION
CIBC CREDIT APPLICATION
HONDA CANADA
BMO MASTERCARD APPLICATION
BEST BUY CREDIT APPLICATION
TENANCY VERIFICATION

If your list goes on and on with several "credit application" a bank will take note and if an applicant is always applying for more credit, it does not reflect well.

I have had applicants that have 5-8 "TENANCY VERIFICATION"s listed....it doesn't look good....clearly there is something wrong.

So no, it doesn't affect your credit per se....but it can affect the final decision.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
...on this note... what is 'intent to rent' form? I've had someone ask me if I accept those... sounds like some sort of govt assistance and what not? I believe the actual govt cheque is made out to me/landlord and mailed to me.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
Banned By Establishment

Yes, that is for social assistance.

It is a form you fill out and give back to the tenant. Tenant takes the form to the welfare office and they hand out the money for security deposit.

You can elect to have the cheques sent directly to you. Be warned though, some times the cheques are late and if you increase the tenants rent, a whole new process needs to be started. It CAN be a pain in the ass, but if you have fear that the tenant will not pay the rent, it is the easiest way to get the money.

Make sure you fill out to form truthfully....I have had people say only one person was living in the apt, but it in fact it was two...that will change how much money they receive.

"Intent to Rent" forms can also be called "Shelter Forms".
Old 11-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

For our recent tenants, we just outlined about 15 points that were required and got them to sign as a legal document.

Such as no smoking inside premises, but outside in front of the house, etc.
Ensure all lights are off when leaving premesis, etc.

I did a bunch of things, just things you learn from being a landlord, etc. If you state what you want then they can understand it. And if they disagree, it usually means you got the wrong tenant.

We've had 2 tenants in 6 years. One left for work up north, and one left to buy an apt. Plus, I usually let the lady decide who the tenant as she has a keen sense for choosing the right people.
<div id="zunecard_big" class="zunecard"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://social.zune.net//xweb/lx/swf/zunecard.swf?ver=1192" style="" id="flashUserCard" name="flashUserCard" bgcolor="#FFF" wmode="opaque" salign="tl" flashvars="baseURL=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.zune.net%2f zcard%2fusercardservice.ashx%3fzunetag%3dbedheadfr 3d%26src%3dlarge&MMplayerType=PlugIn" height="260" width="548"></div>
Neoxphuse is offline   Reply With Quote