REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Typhoon Haiyan 195mp/h sustained winds!! Hits Philippines

Just saw this on the news ticker the largest ever recorded Typhoon is hitting the Philippines currently and its expected that there will be 'catastrophic' damage

Typhoon Haiyan has sustained winds of 195mph when it made landfall for comparison a Category 5 hurricane (the highest rating for Hurricanes) has sustained winds of >157mph

A suggested ranking of Category 6 was made by some scientists and newspapers according to wikipedia and that theoretical ranking would have sustained winds of over 176-180mph (Typhoon Haiyan is even stronger!!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffir%...ane_wind_scale
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_cyclone_scales
edit replaced pic with a high-res one click for big

(looks like the size of the Philippines

Quote:
According to Dr. Jeff Masters from Weather Underground, since 1969, there have been only three other tropical cyclones worldwide with maximum sustained winds of 190 mph or more:

Super Typhoon Tip (1979) in the western Pacific
Hurricane Camille (1969) at landfall along the northern Gulf Coast
Hurricane Allen (1980) near the Yucatan Channel
Furthermore, Masters now says Haiyan was the most intense tropical cyclone to make landfall in recorded history!
Super Typhoon Haiyan: Why It's One of World's Strongest Tropical Cyclones In History - weather.com 'Strongest Storm to Have Made Landfall'

Quote:
Expert warns of ‘catastrophic damage’ in Philippines
By Jim Gomez | ASSOCIATED PRESS NOVEMBER 07, 2013

MANILA, Philippines — One of the most powerful typhoons ever recorded slammed into the Philippines early Friday, with one weather expert warning of catastrophic damage.

The U.S. Navy’s Joint Typhoon Warning Center shortly before Typhoon Haiyan’s landfall said its maximum sustained winds were 314 kilometers per hour (195 mph), with gusts up to 379 kilometers per hour (235 mph).

‘‘195-mile-per-hour winds, there aren’t too many buildings constructed that can withstand that kind of wind,’’ said Jeff Masters, a former hurricane meteorologist who is meteorology director at the private firm Weather Underground.

Masters said the storm had been poised to be the strongest tropical cyclone ever recorded at landfall. He warned of ‘‘catastrophic damage.’’

Local authorities reported having troubles reaching colleagues in the landfall area.

The local weather bureau had a lower reading on the storm’s power, saying its speed at landfall in Eastern Samar province’s Guiuan township had sustained winds at 235 kilometers (147 miles) per hour, with gusts of 275 kph (170 mph). The bureau takes measures based on longer periods of time.

Authorities in Guiuan could not be reached for word of any deaths or damage, regional civil defense chief Rey Gozon told DZBB radio. Forecaster Mario Palafox with the national weather bureau said it had lost contact with its staff in the landfall area.

The storm was not expected to directly hit the flood-prone capital, Manila, further north.

More than 125,000 people had been evacuated from towns and villages in the typhoon’s path, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said.

Haiyan’s wind strength at landfall had been expected to beat out Hurricane Camille, which was 305 kilometers per hour (190 mph) at landfall in the United States in 1969, Masters said.

The only tiny bright side is that it’s a fast-moving storm, so flooding from heavy rain — which usually causes the most deaths from typhoons in the Philippines — may not be as bad, Masters said.

‘‘The wind damage should be the most extreme in Philippines history,’’ he said.

After hitting Guiuan on the southern tip of Samar island, about 650 kilometers (405 miles) southeast of Manila, the typhoon pummeled nearby Leyte island.

‘‘I think this is the strongest so far since the 1960s,’’ Southern Leyte Gov. Roger Mercado said on ABS-CBN television. ‘‘This is really a wallop. All roads are impassable due to fallen trees.’’

A reporter for the network in the Tacloban city was drenched in the pounding rain and said he was wearing a helmet as protection against flying debris. Visibility was so poor that only his silhouette could be seen through the thick curtain of water.

Television images showed a street under knee-deep floodwater carrying debris that had been blown down by the fierce winds. Tin sheets ripped off from buildings roofs were flying above the street.

Weather forecaster Gener Quitlong said the typhoon was not losing much of its strength because there is no large land mass to slow it down since the region is comprised of islands with no tall mountains.

Officials in Cebu province have shut down electric service to the northern part of the province to avoid electrocutions in case power pylons are toppled, said assistant regional civil defense chief Flor Gaviola.

President Benigno Aquino III assured the public of war-like preparations, with three C-130 air force cargo planes and 32 military helicopters and planes on standby, along with 20 navy ships.

The typhoon — the 24th serious storm to hit the Philippines this year — is forecast to barrel through the Philippines’ central region Friday and Saturday before blowing toward the South China Sea over the weekend, heading toward Vietnam.

Associated Press writers Oliver Teves and Teresa Cerojano in the Philippines and Seth Borenstein in Washington contributed to this report.
Massive Typhoon Haiyan hits Philippines with sustained winds of 195 mph - World - The Boston Globe

This was just uploaded 45mins ago as Haiyan begins its landfall

Advertisement

Last edited by StylinRed; 11-08-2013 at 02:00 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
315 km/h winds is fucking insane ...
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
so strong and so late in the season

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #4

I imagine people in Hong Kong will be laughing about this or making some disgusting remarks as they usually do when someone they're in a row with faces tragedies
For those that don't know HK Media/Politicians/Activists have been hating on the Philippines lately. due to the tourist bus shooting and demanding state apologies and exorbitant payouts (its been getting especially loud very recently)
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Fuck a really good buddy just flew there from Aus last week....
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Doesn't look that strong in the video.

I hope for the best.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Holy fuck. I heard this on the news but didn't really understand the magnitude until I saw that picture. Wow...
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:43 AM   #8
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
I'm in Manila. There's slight drizzling. Wind speed...around the same magnitude as a baby's fart and overall cloud cover. They say we'll get hit around 7-8pm. It's 5:42pm right now. If there's any craziness, I'll film it!
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Try not to die pls

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
I'm in Manila. There's slight drizzling. Wind speed...around the same magnitude as a baby's fart and overall cloud cover. They say we'll get hit around 7-8pm. It's 5:42pm right now. If there's any craziness, I'll film it!
Hopefully it won't be bad for you, the article says it won't directly hit manila so that's good news

Last edited by StylinRed; 11-08-2013 at 01:57 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #11
rsx

Major building and human damage come from the rural provinces which is where this storm is doing its thang. Manila goes through a handful of storms/monsoons and worst case is flooding. Which can get pretty bad.

All houses here are concrete anyway, and you're more likely to die from winds knocking down coconuts lol. Don't worry, we trimmed our trees at the compound.

Update 6:45pm. Nothing happening.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:56 AM   #12
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
I imagine people in Hong Kong will be laughing about this or making some disgusting remarks as they usually do when someone they're in a row with faces tragedies
For those that don't know HK Media/Politicians/Activists have been hating on the Philippines lately. due to the tourist bus shooting and demanding state apologies and exorbitant payouts (its been getting especially loud very recently)
Actually from my perspective, it's just the media and government doing this shit. The actual people are quite disgusted by it from what I have seen.

You'd have to be quite a disgusting person to laugh or make remarks about something like this, no matter where you're from.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:11 AM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Heard about this from my Mom. she lives in Pangalao where the big earthquake was a couple of weeks ago.

Quote:
Super tyhoon category no 4 will touch down tonight. We are prepared. Love mom
Quote:
Its now category 5 super typhoon -biggest than the biggest ever which was back in 1990.

Last edited by Matlock; 11-08-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
rsx didn't update....he ded
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #15

i have families all around Philippines so here's whats going on so far...

Manila has heavy rains and winds but nothing out of the ordinary and nothing bad to hit the panic button.

southern provinces however are taking the full strength of the typhoon and it is crazy! my cousin just told me some of the houses were getting blown away like a leaf on the ground.

Manila isnt hit as bad as other provinces but its still definitely a concern that most schools are shut down and offices are closed for the meantime.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #16
rsx

As predicted by me, nothing happened. I didn't even see a single twig on the street.

Our offices are open. same with the other ones in our block. Traffic is flowing smoothly. Winds have picked up a bit more, but nothing to write home about...~30-40kph

Edit: I meant in Manila. There are heavy casualties down South. I believe ~100

Last edited by rsx; 11-08-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #17
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
Quote:
Canadian elementary teacher Jax Cote made a racist comment on Filipinos regarding Super Typhoon Yolanda.

Cote comments: “so this means the world is getting rid a whole wack of Phillipino’s? about time God cleaned house
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #18
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatogunk View Post
Teacher no more I bet.

what school does she teach at?
Old 11-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #19
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Homeschool?
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #20
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

soon to be former school
Old 11-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Teacher no more I bet.

what school does she teach at?

the best part, find her face book and view her 'followers'

more than 2 hundred of filipinos loooool
4doorVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #22

Started Working at Private Elementary School

November 2011 — Teacher
inspiring and educating the minds of our youth
Graduated from Trent University

June 2009
Grad School — Education/Teaching
Graduated from Canadore College

College — Education: Kindergarten and Elementary · Jr. Kindergarten
4doorVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #23
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
It's a damned shame that we can't strap her to a tree during the next tropical storm and let nature do its thing.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #24
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
social media is a bitch
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #25
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I was at superstore on grandview hwy in Vancouver and I saw two filipino ladies asking for money saying they are going to help people hurting from the typhoon. it was very poorly asked and they didnt have any brochures or anything. When I declined they just straight up asked "do you have any change". Didnt seem legit and kinda felt like a scam.

Im all for donating if its legit, next time I would ask for a charity or some sort of registration number. Just a warning to others not to give anything unless it's legit.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote