REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Ponzu sauce recipe? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/690133-ponzu-sauce-recipe.html)

m3thods 11-12-2013 03:21 PM

Ponzu sauce recipe?

I love the stuff!

So I decided to google recipes for it, and it seems like there are a few variations on how to make it. Some are just as simple as soy sauce, sugar, citrus all the way to complex concoctions including ginger, dashi and mirrin.

I'm essentially using it as a light salad dressing (much like you would get locally, in say, a tuna tataki salad).

Does anyone have a recipe that they swear by? Anyone direct me to someone who might? I'd prefer to make it myself as I will drink the stuff by the gallon, but I will appreciate suggestions for store-versions as well.

Thanks in advance!

Culverin 11-12-2013 06:15 PM

I don't cook with recipes.

I do soy, dashi, mirin, sugar, yuzu extract.
It's the yuzu that really makes it.

m3thods 11-14-2013 05:10 AM

I'd thank you twice if I could.

Could you direct me to yuzu and dashi? I'm guessing somewhere like Fujiya will have them?

I just tried with soy, mirin, rice vinegar, sugar, fresh lemon juice, and a pinch of pepper powder. While OK, it tasted like it was missing something (and after it married, was pretty lemony). I'm guessing it's the yuzu that makes it.

Thanks again!

Culverin 11-14-2013 08:45 AM

You know those moving fish flakes on top of takoyaki or a japadog?
Those are called bonito flakes.
Bonito stock = dashi.
It is to Japanese cuisine what chicken stock is to French.

The "legit" way of getting dashi is to brew like you would tea leaves.
I only do that if I'm feeling dumb, rich and want one more thing to juggle when cooking.
The normal way is just to use instant dashi powder.
You're going to be looking for this.
http://thewingedheart.com/wp-content.../04/dashi1.jpg

You will find it everywhere, T&T, fujiya, Izumiya.

Yuzu juice is a bit more of a pickle, I'm not sure I have seen it at T&T.
Fujiya and Izumiya probably have it, but I got mine on Granville Island.
It's from South China Seas Trading Co. across from the Granville Island Tea Co.

You're going to be looking for this:
http://www.chefsarmoury.com/images/u...od/100yuzu.JPG

If I were in a pinch and ran out of yuzu juice, I would probably use some lemon zest, prep it early and let the flavors mix.

Cheers mate,
Happy cooking :)

mos_skeeto 11-14-2013 09:02 AM

You can do a yummy creamy sauce mixed with mayo

m3thods 11-14-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mos_skeeto (Post 8361650)
You can do a yummy creamy sauce mixed with mayo

Oh I'm going to go out of my way to find different ways to use this. With all the ingredients bought, I'll have enough for ~200 cups hahaha

Culverin- Again, thanks so much! I know you don't use recipes, but do you have ballpack "proportions" as to how much of each ingredient to use? And is the yuzu extract concentrated?

Soundy 11-14-2013 09:40 AM

See first you go to a few friends and tell them you have this great sauce recipe and you'll make the sauce for them, but you need some ingredients from them... then when you get those, you make a bit of sauce, but instead of giving it to them, you eat it yourself...

Then you go out to more people, get more ingredients, make a whole buncha sauce, give a bit back to your first group of friends, and eat the rest yourself...

Then you go out to an even bigger group, get tons more ingredients, stir up a huge batch of sauce, give a bit back to the second group of people and some more to the first group, but still keep most of it for yourself...

Oh wait... that's PONZI sauce. I'm in the wrong thread...

m3thods 11-14-2013 10:17 AM

lol I saw a similar joke on another recipe site :P

jtrinh 11-14-2013 05:55 PM

You can also use dried yuzu zest. You can get that exact bottle of yuzu juice, in Culverin's post, at Yamato trading. The yuzu juice sold at Fujiya is slightly salted, if you don't mind.

There is also a South China Seas Trading Co. retail store on Victoria drive and Grant, pretty close to both Yamato and Fujiya.

Cman333 11-21-2013 03:04 PM

I've tried making my own using fresh lime and lemon.....still tastes good but still using the actual yuzu tastes more authentic.

I originally thought Yuzu was japanese for lemon then found out it's actually a fruit on it's own.

m3thods 11-21-2013 03:51 PM

Yeah I found that using only a lemon made it a bit too tart. I did 50/50 lemon and lime for a bit of sweetness at least until I can get my hands on some yuzu.

I noticed the bottle is 100ml. Is it concentrated? The guideline I use calls for half a cup of citrus. That's a quarter of the bottle :S