REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
2015 Chevy Colorado

Finally something to give Toyota and Nissan some competition in their ancient designs. A midsized diesel pickup seems like such a no Brainer.

http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/tr...do_first_look/

Quote:
How long has it been since we have seen a new -- really new -- compact/midsize truck enter the market? Most of them haven't undergone huge changes since around 2004. In fact, the biggest change in the category is how small it has become.

Auto Show Floor Update: The Chevrolet press conference made it crystal clear what the Colorado is going up against. A video showed the new Colorado passing a Nissan Frontier, then a Toyota Tacoma. Other visuals in the video were more telling: there was a shot of a ram (the animal) and a ranger (the person), and as the Colorado passed by, the forest ranger's hat was left in the truck's dust. It makes sense for Chevrolet to position the Colorado as a competitor for non-turbo V-6-powered full-size trucks, as was strongly implied in the press conference. - Allyson Harwood

There were once 11 compact trucks sold in the U.S. As of 2014, that number is down to two. All the while, we have seen global pickups that we can't get in the U.S.: the Volkswagen Amarok, global Ford Ranger, and global Colorado being just a few of the standouts. However, that is soon going to change, as Chevrolet is bringing a version of its global Colorado to the United States and Canada for the 2015 model year, going on sale in fall 2014.

2015 Chevrolet Colorado front three quarters
2015 Chevrolet Colorado front three quarters view2015 Chevrolet Colorado front view2015 Chevrolet Colorado rear 12015 Chevrolet Colorado rear profile2015 Chevrolet Colorado rear wheels2015 Chevrolet Colorado rear
Instead of seeing this as a rehashed truck from another market, though, it's more accurate to look at it as a scaled-down Silverado, as few of the chassis components are shared with the global truck. The frame is about 40 percent lighter than the global Colorado's frame; the new unit is fully boxed and uses liberal amounts of high-strength steel. Comparing crew cab to crew cab, the Colorado is 900 pounds lighter, 5 inches narrower, 3 inches lower, and 16 inches shorter than the Silverado. The Colorado will use a coilover front and leaf-spring rear, and Duralife disc brakes with ABS. It will have EPS and an impressive 41-foot turning radius.

The truck will come as an extended cab or crew cab, with a 6-foot bed behind the extended cab and a choice of 5- or 6-foot bed behind the crew cab. And for people who lament the loss of the regular-cab model, we hear there will be a rear-seat delete option on the extended cab. Trim levels will be the WT, LT, and Z71, with RWD or 4WD with a rear locker. In the past, the Z71 had been a suspension package available on a variety of trims; for 2015, it will be its own model. As with the Silverado, the doors are inlaid and triple-sealed. Six airbags and a rearview camera will be standard, and forward collision alert will be available. Z71s will come with StabiliTrak, trailer sway control, hillstart assist, and hill descent control.

At launch, there will be two engines powering the Colorado -- a 2.5-liter I-4, with an estimated 193 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque, and a 3.6-liter V-6, with an estimated 302 hp and 270 lb-ft. We have seen these engines in other GM products (Impala, Malibu, Equinox), but they have been re-tuned here for truck applications, with more bottom-end torque. Both have direct injection and variable valve timing, and both will be backed by a six-speed automatic. Chevrolet hasn't announced fuel economy estimates yet, but the truck will use active aero grille shutters, which will help improve mpg numbers.

2015 Chevrolet Colorado camping equipment
2015 Chevrolet Colorado 4Cylinder 0302015 Chevrolet Colorado Turbo Diesel engine2015 Chevrolet Colorado 6Cylinder 031
2015 Chevrolet Colorado front headlight2015 Chevrolet Colorado front grille2015 Chevrolet Colorado tow
There will be a third engine added to the options list for the 2016 model year: a 2.8-liter Duramax I-4. Chevrolet hasn't announced power numbers for this yet, but in the global truck, it produces 197 hp and 369 lb-ft. However, it's likely that the diesel's hp and torque will be slightly lower here, as emissions requirements are tougher in the U.S. than in the rest of the world and use of aftertreatment can reduce power. That torque number is only slightly lower than that of GM's new EcoTec3 5.3-liter V-8, while potentially offering significantly better fuel economy. The engineers at Chevrolet also told us that the American-market version of this engine will be much quieter than the global unit. It will use Diesel Exhaust Fluid, with its refill point behind the fuel door. Unless one of the other manufacturers pulls off a big surprise in the next year, the Colorado will be the first midsize truck sold in the U.S. with a diesel engine.

The interior is a huge step up from the previous Colorado, using many of the features that are a part of the new Silverado's cabin. There is a driver information screen within the gauge cluster, an 8-inch color touch screen in the center stack (optional on WT), plus OnStar, MyLink, and navigation will be offered. The shifter is floor-mounted. Seats will be stain-resistant cloth or leather.

As you can see here, the new midsize's appearance is much more global Colorado than it is little Silverado. But there were some changes, including a new front end and higher bedsides. And Chevrolet's capability goals, both lofty and reachable, would align it more with the Silverado. The idea is that this truck will have best-in-class hp, payload, and towing capacity. GM hasn't announced payload capacity, but it expects a 6700-lb towing capacity at launch (and higher with the diesel). It will also be the first in its segment to offer a trailer brake controller. The company's CornerStep rear bumper and 13 tiedown locations are standard, and the EZ Lift-and-Lower tailgate and spray-in bedliner are options.

There are a few factors that will be key to the Colorado's success. The first is price. If the truck comes in at a price that is lower enough than the Silverado's, it should do well. The challenge will be the price of the diesel in the Colorado. However, if GM is correct in its bet that midsize trucks cater to a different buyer than full-size trucks, and that there is a bigger market for smaller trucks than is being served at the moment, the Colorado could bring people back to this segment. It could also mean buyers would be willing to pay more for a well-optioned Colorado than they would for an entry-level Silverado. Not everyone has the space to park a ½-ton truck or the desire to drive in the city in one. Those buyers will soon have a new option to consider, and this truck has a lot of potential. And who knows? If the Colorado sells well here, maybe Ford and Volkswagen will bring their trucks to the U.S. too.
Advertisement
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
interior probably still look like shit though.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Loving all the new diesels coming to market. Can't wait for the supposed Ram 1500 diesel
Old 11-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,280 Times in 1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy89 View Post
interior probably still look like shit though.
Bro, do you even Google?

2015 Chevrolet Colorado Front Interior Photo 34

Being a Chevy, I'm sure it'll be priced lower than its rivals.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #5

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Bro, that still looks like shit.

Trucks should just stop doing all these facelifts and get a new team to work on a better interior.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #6

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
Bro, do you even Google?

i have to say, my 2007 acura has a nicer interior than that. i just can't understand why they just can't do a simple, nice, well thought out interior. and the materials look cheap from the pics... that really shouldn't be happening
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
With the F150/Ram/Silverado getting so damn big and pickup trucks being the primary car for so many people, this size makes a lot of sense and I'm not sure why GM pulled out of this segment. I like that there are physical climate controls cause the ones in the Cadillac etc. don't work very well with the touch style controls.

Personally I want to see Ford bring over their Ranger which is so much nicer than anything we have to choose from in this segment ATM. Considering how popular the old Ranger/Mazda B-series was even though it looked like it was perpetually 10 years old, there's clearly a lot of brand value in the Ford Ranger name.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #8

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
i have to say, my 2007 acura has a nicer interior than that. i just can't understand why they just can't do a simple, nice, well thought out interior. and the materials look cheap from the pics... that really shouldn't be happening
Are you seriously comparing a pickup to an acura? It's at least as nice as any competitor truck.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,280 Times in 1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy89 View Post
Bro, that still looks like shit.

Trucks should just stop doing all these facelifts and get a new team to work on a better interior.
What exactly do you want?

The only legit complaint I see so far is the lack of storage space. I hope there would be a no charge column shift option so you can get a full storage bin / cubby in the centre like some of the full sized trucks have.

Can't comment on materials quality at this point. If the starting price is low (for a truck) then don't expect Acura quality.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,100 Times in 259 Posts
Shit didn't realize it was diesel too, so buying one
Posted via RS Mobile
firebird79_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

The aesthetics of an interior are subjective. Shitty construction with materials not fit to build a hut in the favela is not.

Last edited by ScratchedMy991; 11-21-2013 at 12:13 PM.
ScratchedMy991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #12
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
With the F150/Ram/Silverado getting so damn big and pickup trucks being the primary car for so many people, this size makes a lot of sense and I'm not sure why GM pulled out of this segment. I like that there are physical climate controls cause the ones in the Cadillac etc. don't work very well with the touch style controls.

Personally I want to see Ford bring over their Ranger which is so much nicer than anything we have to choose from in this segment ATM. Considering how popular the old Ranger/Mazda B-series was even though it looked like it was perpetually 10 years old, there's clearly a lot of brand value in the Ford Ranger name.
this looks good. the old canyon/colorado were junk. at my old job i hated them so much and avoided them like the plague in the work fleet as much as i could. the ford rangers with it's ancient design was more durable and reliable (relatively speaking).

whenever i read up on the overseas-spec ranger, the same old argument ford gives about it not being here is that it's because it's so big it's only slightly smaller than a shortbox f-150

but ford of mexico does sell the overseas market ranger... hm. is it legal to import new cars from mexico?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 11-22-2013 at 07:53 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #13

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
Are you seriously comparing a pickup to an acura? It's at least as nice as any competitor truck.
my point was more about the quality of materials and certain design aspects.

a 6-7 year old difference is a lot of time to improve design and materials.

i'm not saying "i want a brand new sedan interior in a truck"
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
degenerate extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
Bro, do you even Google?

Well, that interior looks better than what we would hope (especially the double din deck), but I think that may be from one of the higher trims. I am curious what the base model will be like though.

And before you say 'what are you talking about? do you know anything about trucks??' Yes. I work at a Chevrolet dealership.

edit: It's weird seeing Colorado's with an interior of a sedan, but I really like the redesign. Whether or not it is practical, I doubt it. But I like where this market is going.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.

Last edited by Ikkaku; 11-21-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #15
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,823 Times in 3,904 Posts
this isn't a luxury car...how nice the interior is on a domestic pick-up truck probably isn't very important to its target buyers.

they look fine for what it's going to be priced at
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #16

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
So much stupidity in this thread...Skinny I seriously need that fail button back.

Its a fucking chevy truck not an acura. No it will never have leather on the dashboard and soft touch materials everywhere. This comes from the simple fact that the damn thing is a tool, the target market is not some fucking yuppy, hes a construction worker, or someone who enjoys the outdoors.

With those two people in mind, they design the interior to withstand abuse. The dumbasses in here saying crap about this are not truck owners, nor are they truck buyers.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #17
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
i think that interior is pretty good compared to other truck interiors ive seen a little playskool like though (with all those rounded corners) but still not bad

side note that Ranger is niice
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:06 AM   #18
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
If the 2.8 Duramax I4 is based off another Isuzu (as the 6.6 is) and backed by a manual gearbox, I'm in. Looks like it's common rail and intercooled too. Hopefully the DPF and SCR systems (only used in USDM and EDM markets) can easily be removed to increase power and fuel economy.

July 2013 Torque - The Other Duramax(s) - Diesel Power Magazine

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #19
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
So much stupidity in this thread...Skinny I seriously need that fail button back.

Its a fucking chevy truck not an acura. No it will never have leather on the dashboard and soft touch materials everywhere. This comes from the simple fact that the damn thing is a tool, the target market is not some fucking yuppy, hes a construction worker, or someone who enjoys the outdoors.

With those two people in mind, they design the interior to withstand abuse. The dumbasses in here saying crap about this are not truck owners, nor are they truck buyers.
This. I don't really expect the majority of users on a website like Revscene to really ever be able to appreciate trucks.

I use my truck for two main things:
- Moving shit around that's too big or dirty to fit in my car(Yard Waste, Gravel, Dirt, Appliances, Furniture)
- Camping/Offroading

I really could care less what it has for an interior. It's purpose is not luxury. In fact, when I had the Ranger I really liked the fact that it didn't even have a carpetted floor, great for not worrying about getting muddy boots on it.

It's a shame that Ford killed the Ranger in North America. Their reasoning is that the F150's get as good gas mileage.
I don't think that gas mileage was the fucking point, a lot of people just don't want a big truck. They're a pain in the ass to drive around in a cramped city.
Rangers seem extremely popular here in Victoria, they're fucking everywhere.
Just last weekend I was at the yard-waste drop off, an I kid you not every second vehicle waiting in line was a Ford Ranger of some vintage.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #20
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually liked the first gen Colorado/Canyon.

Almost bought one before buying the Accord a while back. At the time, I was just looking for a small pickup and couldn't find any good Rangers for sale.

I'll be interested to see some actual head-to-heads between this and the Taco.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #21
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Its a weird market in the truck world right now.

The current and upcoming generation of half ton trucks (F150, Dodge, Chevy 1500s) are larger and more capable than 1 ton trucks (F350, 3500s) from a decade ago. They are huge and make more power and have more payload than 95% of buyers need.

Yet at the same time, after brand loyalty, the market is driven hugely by specs. Every new Chevy makes 10hp, increases payload and towing, more than the Ford, until the Dodge comes out and beats that, and the Ford comes out and beats that, and on and on.

The other thing is these trucks are no longer purchased to be a 'tool' like in the past. They aren't just work trucks, or weekend trucks. The majority of people buying new trucks use them as their daily drivers. Half ton trucks can hit $50g with a feature package that people are looking for. They can also fit 5 people more comfortably than a large sedan, road trip like a dream, and haul the boat or RV on the weekends. About the only thing they don't do well is drive around downtown vancouver, or fit in parking spaces.

Which brings up the question, why isn't there a decent market for the midsized trucks anymore? A truck the size of the old half tons, that can still haul a few people, and the boat on the weekend, yet small enough to daily drive. The old Ranger was too small and really only sold because you could get one for under $20g. The current Dakota and previous Colorado/Canyon are junk, and the Tacoma, while selling quite well, costs the same as a full size.

Maybe this new Colorado will open up that market segment again.

Source: I currently own a 98 F150, 05 F350, 95 F450. Have previously owned 04 F150, 94 F150, 94 Ranger.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #22
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,767 Posts
^ I could go out and buy a new full size right now, but I've never really wanted one. Apart from using it for its intended purposes, I don't particularly enjoy driving a truck, I would get bored pretty quickly daily driving one.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #23
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
And that is fair. But looking out my window right now, 1 in 3 vehicles driving by are trucks.

Infact a quick google search for sales figures in canada (and clicking on the first link):

In May 2013 the top 3 vehicles sold year to date in Canada were:
F-Series: 50k
Ram: 35k
Elantra: 23k

Just to take it a little farther.
Fseries, Ram, Silverado, Sierra are all in the top 10 and account for 118,900 vehicles sold
The remander of the top 10: Elantra, Civic, Caravan, Corolla, Escape, Mazda 3, account for 116,600 vehicles.
Of the top 10 vehicles sold in Canada in May this year, over half of the volume was full sized trucks.
And if you count it to the top 20 vehicles, full sized trucks still account for 1/3rd.

Obviously that gets skewed abit as alot of trucks ARE bought as work trucks

Just for fun, Chevy sold 99 colorados

Last edited by RRxtar; 11-22-2013 at 09:40 AM.
RRxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #24
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Looks pretty good.

I wonder if these new gens will sit higher.

Obviously not to the height of a full size pickup but their first gens sat like cars.
Posted via RS Mobile
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #25

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
loving the diesel. but as usual, chevy has made yet another horrible looking interior.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote