REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Toddler and mother hit by car at Meadowtown Centre

Initially, the report was that the toddler was seriously injured, but this latest update says he didn't make it

It's definitely a reminder that you need to be aware of your surroundings, as both pedestrians and drivers.

Quote:
A two-year-old boy has been killed after he and his mother were hit at Meadowtown Centre in Pitt Meadows this morning.

It happened around 9:45 a.m.; paramedics performed CPR on the boy before he was taken to hospital, where he later died.

Police say it’s too early to say how the crash happened, but they are interviewing the driver and witnesses.

“The driver remained at the scene and is cooperating with the investigators,” says Sergeant Dale Somerville in a release.

The boy’s mother has non-life threatening injuries. Their names have not been released.

Any witnesses who have not yet spoken with investigators are asked to call Ridge Meadows RCMP at 604-463-6251.
Toddler dead after being hit by car in Pitt Meadows | News1130
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
I cant take sides because no info has been released.

but far to many pedestrians have this mentality that just because they have the right of way they dont need to pay attention to vehicles around them

regardless who is at fault pedestrians will always lose when put against a 2-5000lb machine.

that being said i see way to many driving like retards especially in parking lots. cars weigh a lot and cant stop very fast, its unfortunate that things like this have to remind people of that.

its reasons like this i make sure to have eye contacts with the driver of surrounding vehicles or wait to be waved by when ever i cross. its unfortunate and i hope no one knows this boy personally as it is local.
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Just up the road from here, I heard the sirens when I was out walking the dogs this morning. RIP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post

but far to many pedestrians have this mentality that just because they have the right of way they dont need to pay attention to vehicles around them

regardless who is at fault pedestrians will always lose when put against a 2-5000lb machine.

that being said i see way to many driving like retards especially in parking lots. cars weigh a lot and cant stop very fast, its unfortunate that things like this have to remind people of that.

its reasons like this i make sure to have eye contacts with the driver of surrounding vehicles or wait to be waved by when ever i cross. its unfortunate and i hope no one knows this boy personally as it is local.
I live near there, so I'm in and out of that parking lot quite a bit. I've heard some reports that it happened by the liquor store, which is one side of the main entry to the lot, and some that it was by the Vancity on the other side of the entrance. The Vancity there has a drive-thru, as does the Timmy's next to it, so there's lots of places where cars duck in and out of blind corners. It's a tricky place to drive at the best of times.
Quote:
Old 11-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
At least the driver didn't take off, which is what it seems like they're all doing in these days....
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
That whole lot is a mess from the 7way intersections to the countless speed bumps and blind corners and awkwardly shaped intersections and excessive signage and needless signage not to mention the mass amounts of pedestrians treating the lot like an amusement park and the drivers who don't want to stop for pedestrians (because it becomes an endless train) surprised more tragedies haven't occurred in there

It's worse than driving in Richmond, I hate driving in there

rip
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
At least the driver didn't take off, which is what it seems like they're all doing in these days....
Yeah, because thank God some drivers still have decency.

I'd bet that the vast majority of people would stop and try to help instead of driving away. Those that drive away are pieces of shit.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Yeah, because thank God some drivers still have decency.

I'd bet that the vast majority of people would stop and try to help instead of driving away. Those that drive away are pieces of shit.
I'd like to think the same thing, but all I've heard about lately is the hit-and-runs...
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
I'd like to think the same thing, but all I've heard about lately is the hit-and-runs...
But what makes a better news story? A hit and run or someone that stayed on scene and cooperated with police?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
I cant take sides because no info right now.
Why does there have to be a side to take?

There always has to be a right party and a wrong party on RS.

I'm willing to bet that the driver was ignorant and not paying attention and the mother was obliviously towing her poor son across the parking lot.

Either way it's really sad to see a family torn apart like that over something that should have never happened. Rip.
Posted via RS Mobile
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Why does there have to be a side to take?

There always has to be a right party and a wrong party on RS.

I'm willing to bet that the driver was ignorant and not paying attention and the mother was obliviously towing her poor son across the parking lot.

Either way it's really sad to see a family torn apart like that over something that should have never happened. Rip.
Posted via RS Mobile
side would indicate the diction of my reply. we dont know if the driver was driving erratically or if the woman and her child had decided to sprint in front of the car to cross the parking lot..

regardless it is tragic, but its easier to discuss a topic when you have more information
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,063 Times in 308 Posts
RIP, I hope the mother recovers from this.
zilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #13
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
Poor family.. I couldn't imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
I STILL don't get it

RIP to the little boy. Not saying they were, but I always cringe when I see parents with their children jay walking on a busy street.
Oscar_Binswood is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #15
RS controls my life!

Quote:

I had this discussion with a friend the other day. We agreed on this point. With all of the car vs pedestrian incidents happening lately, you would think that people would be more vigilant. RIP to the kid and condolences to the family.
xeryusx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #16
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeryusx View Post
I had this discussion with a friend the other day. We agreed on this point. With all of the car vs pedestrian incidents happening lately, you would think that people would be more vigilant. RIP to the kid and condolences to the family.
I agree with this as well, but the problem is most vehicles run red lights when turning right at a controlled intersection. So when a car comes flying around a blind coner, the pedestrian aware or not doesnt even have a chance.

Not saying this is the scenario of the little boy, but I see this more times in one day, than I have fingers on my hands. Especially at stop signs.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #17
RS controls my life!

I see that happen all the time. People treat that right turn like it's a place to drift, completely ignorant sometimes of the people waiting to cross. But again, that's where common sense should kick in. As both driver and pedestrian, not to sound all holier-than-thou, I wait that extra second to run at a green/walk the crosswalk and make sure no idiot (purposely or otherwise) is coming through. It's probably atop the list of my fears is to hit a pedestrian.
xeryusx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #18
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Meh, common sense ain't so common nowadays. Its already hard enough to get people to stop texting and driving. Laws or no laws.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:35 AM   #19
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
For some reason, I read Metrotown Center

but IMHO, parking lots are more dangerous then actual roads...
Old 11-23-2013, 02:43 AM   #20
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
RIP, indeed and it's a very tragic story.

A reminder for those of you who have young ones. Don't take any chances. Always be prepared. Don't take shortcuts through parking lots or put you and your child in any dangerous situations. Accidents happen, but like the commercials say, most accidents are preventable. My wife and I took our children out of carriages if we were in parking lots. Lot more visible. Holding a young child by the hand is not a good idea, as well. Be visible and always check to see if driver(s) make eye contact with you. I see mothers out there who are very good at this. They are very protective and you need to be. Losing a child is one of the most tragic events one can go through. No parent should ever have to bury their child.

Be vigilant out there, people.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #21

When they showed the scene last night on the TV news, it looked all the investigative activity was around the crosswalk across the main entrance from Lougheed. It's a particularly tricky place to cross because there are two lanes each direction on that access, and always lots of traffic going all different directions.

A couple reports also state that the sun in the driver's eyes may have been a factor, and that the investigation team would be back there this morning... looking at where the sun would be about that time, and being pretty familiar with the area, I'd speculate the mother and son were in that crosswalk across the access road, and the driver was turning left from in front of the Vancity to go out to Lougheed: the sun would have probably been low just over the Homesense/Jysk down by the Superstore and right in his face about then.
Quote:
Old 11-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #22
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
A couple reports also state that the sun in the driver's eyes may have been a factor, and that the investigation team would be back there this morning... looking at where the sun would be about that time, and being pretty familiar with the area, I'd speculate the mother and son were in that crosswalk across the access road, and the driver was turning left from in front of the Vancity to go out to Lougheed: the sun would have probably been low just over the Homesense/Jysk down by the Superstore and right in his face about then.
As a driver, especially in this time of the year, I always get paranoid approaching crosswalks with the sun in my face. Sometimes I slow to a crawl in parking lots / side streets if I can't 100% guarantee there are no pedestrians. Fuck anyone in my rearview mirror.

I can't imagine what the driver is going through, let alone the mother
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #23

Just went through that Timmies a bit after 11 this morning (mmm sausage breakfast sandwich on jalapeño bagel!)... come left out of the Tim's drive thru, past the EB Games and Vancity and coming up to the stop sign for that main entrance, the sun was getting up above the block of stores on the left along the liquor store... I can see how it would have been just peeking over the tops of the buildings an hour and a bit earlier, and right into drivers' faces.
Quote:
Old 11-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #24
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
I couldn't even imagine what is going through the driver's head right now. Just knowing that you had killed a small boy (although inadvertently), and living with that for the rest of your life. RIP to the boy.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #25
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
all the news as I work social services field in poco
poor kid, the family and driver for the trauma they are experiencing.

whoever's fault it is this is truly a traumatic situation for all involved including the first responders, emergency services personnel and the witnesses.
If you don't work in the field you don't know how hard it hits those involved in emergency services when it happens

not adding fault (if any) to the mom, but when I had my twins out and about at 2yrs old they got the leash too.
this one to be exact

it's saved the little buggers more times than I can count