REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,337 Times in 5,647 Posts
Best way to go about selling/trading in old vehicle for a used vehicle?

So my GF inherited a truck from her dad, it's a 95 ford ranger with about 150,000kms, black book and general value seems to be sitting around 2800-4000, hers is the XLT 4x4 with the biggest motor they came with

She's interested in trading it in or selling it privately then adding on cash towards somthing like a yaris, fit, civic, fiesta, etc

Prices for the all those vehicles with carrying KM's are between 6-10k

At that price point are you better off selling the truck privately or bringing it in to the dealer as a trade in? Also what happens with the insurance if you were to sell it privately and not have a vehicle in between? I've heard stories of new drivers etc canceling their auto plan 12 and not being able to renew after due to icbc seemingly thinking you could not keep up with the payments therefore cancelled the coverage?
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Its rare for the money you get from trading it in to any dealership more than selling it privately. I think your best bet is to post on craigslist/autotrader and perhaps a ford ranger enthusiast willing to offer more. However, it doesn't hurt asking around the trade in value of the truck
Gamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
It's always better to try and sell your car in private for as much as possible, unless your car is worth less than what the dealer incentives might be. A dealer is going to knock off a significant amount of value from your vehicle anyway, because at the end of the day, they need to at least break even on your trade in.

End your coverage for the vehicle you're selling (when you're ready to sell it) and get storage insurance for it, issue day permits when someone wants to test drive it. You never want to let someone test drive your car with your own insurance on it, because you'll be listed as the primary operator, not the interested party that might total your ride. Go to your insurance broker with the interested party and claim him/her as the primary operator for the day permit.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
If she wants the most money, sell it privately. However, it's less convenient and you have to deal with people off craigslist, which can be annoying. The money has to be worth the trouble.

In terms of insurance, she doesn't have to cancel it but she's paying for insurance on nothing, once the truck sells. If it's only a couple or 3 weeks, it's not worth the costs associated with cancelling the policy and buying new plates when she insures the new car. (cancellation cost + surrender plates)

There's no reason ICBC won't allow someone to do Auto12 again, just cause they cancelled a previous policy early (the cancellation cost factors in the amount they would lose for a shorter term). The only reason one is refused Auto12 is if they default on the payments.

Is she driving the Ranger now?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #5

It's insured but not really driving it too much
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #6

Under her name?

Even with no optional coverage, 500k 3rd party and only insured for pleasure, as a new driver, she's probably paying $140+/month and barely driving it.

If she doesn't need to drive it, transfer the policy to storage and get day permits (if needed), as yoda suggested. To transfer to storage means she's not cancelling the policy, so she's saving there, and it's still protected for 3rd party liability and comprehensive (optional).

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
Old 11-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
At least it's not a Ford Bronco.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #8

Nah, you can barely fit half a couch in a Bronco.

RSUV #7
Old 11-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
You're looking at an ATV of between $500 and 1000 for the ranger depending on condition.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Hondaracer, where is your GF parking the truck? Street, garage, or underground parkade?
Parking it on the street means she cannot get storage insurance and the truck has to have plates and insurance. Secured underground parkade or garage will qualify for storage insurance.
If it is an open car port, then that technically doesn't suffice for storage insurance.

Trading in a car vs selling it privately all depends on each individual. If she found a car that she wants and can't sell the truck soon enough, then trading it in might be an option. Whatever tradie-in value, while lower than it is selling it privately, will lower the amount the new car is taxed at if it is bought from a dealer. Time is money. Are you going to be there with her each time she has to show the truck to a potential buyer or do you think she can do it by herself?

If she doesn't need a car right away, then take the time to sell it privately.

As for insurance, IIRC, you can't double dip. If you have storage insurance and that includes theft, collision and comprehensive, basic day insurance will come first and in the event of an incident, you will not be covered by the storage insurance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #11

Yea she parks in an underground parkade, and yea most likely I will have to be there for all the wheeling and dealing especially through a private sale

Is it standard practice to basically demand at least black book value from a dealer?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #12
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
hondaracer: is this truck solid? my old boss was looking for one awhile back but couldn't find an affordable one that didn't have (bad) stories behind it.

if it's an honest truck, please PM me info on it about everything, with pics if possible. it's a long shot but who knows?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #13

Will do when I get home, I'd say it's pretty good her dad was second owner bought at like 20,000kms
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #14
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Will do when I get home, I'd say it's pretty good her dad was second owner bought at like 20,000kms
Posted via RS Mobile
thx. no promises.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #15
I don't get it

Posted via RS Mobile
bayee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Yea she parks in an underground parkade, and yea most likely I will have to be there for all the wheeling and dealing especially through a private sale

Is it standard practice to basically demand at least black book value from a dealer?
That that into consideration. Time = money.
Storage insurance on my QX4 was around $50 per month, give or take. I think there is minimum amount you have to buy, and no you cannot auto plan 12 your storage insurance.
And there is still cancelation cost on storage insurance.
Same goes for regular car insurance and plates.

This is the way I see the truck as a trade in. The dealer will NOT give you top dollar for it. They still need to sell the car and depending on the dealer, they might not sell it themselves. If the car is too old, they may just give it to another dealer to sell. You can always negotiate with them to try to get more trade in value for the car.
Another thing you can do is give the truck a good wash and vacuum and a quick polish so that trucks looks really good before bringing it in for them to assess for trade-in value.
Of course, even if you don't trade it in, doing that wash and polish will help it sell better privately too.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #17
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
That that into consideration. Time = money.
Storage insurance on my QX4 was around $50 per month, give or take. I think there is minimum amount you have to buy, and no you cannot auto plan 12 your storage insurance
That seems extremely high.

Storage insurance on my Mustang for 6 months is only $50 total
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #18
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Price of trade in is relative... if they get a bid of $700 from wholesaler A, that's how much they're giving you for it. If they put $2000 trade in value on paper, they're just taking $1300 off of what you could have negotiated off the vehicles asking price.

Dealers gonna ding you for every little thing too, 50% on tires? 50% on brakes? small crack in windshield, wear on seats, scrape on door etc. If the truck is mint you're still only going to get 2000-3000 less than what they(used lot) will end up listing it for.

Sell it privately, negotiate for the new car based on price only, you're saving the dealership a headache too, and keeping money in your pocket.

Edit: ^ storage insurance for my itr was ~$65 for 3 months

Only time I would lean towards trading in a car is if I was very strapped for time, or if the value of my car was over $30k and tax savings on the new car would make up for the lost $$$ of trading it in vs. selling myself
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
That seems extremely high.

Storage insurance on my Mustang for 6 months is only $50 total
You're right. It was $150 for 6 months. Not sure why I thought 3 months.
But that is with full coverage including theft.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #20

Quote:
It's standard practice for the dealer to go in, dry.

RSUV #7
This post thanked by: