REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #51
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

If cop is behind you, pretend that having the needle indicate over the speed limit will cause a massive explosion.

If cop is infront of you, well just follow them, and dont pass them assuming you know the "tolerance"
Advertisement
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #52
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rriggi View Post
If cop is infront of you, well just follow them, and dont pass them assuming you know the "tolerance"
Yeah, this is a great idea... unless the cop is going just UNDER the speed limit and NOBODY WILL F*@$ING PASS HIM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #53
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Yeah, this is a great idea... unless the cop is going just UNDER the speed limit and NOBODY WILL F*@$ING PASS HIM.
HAHA! I never had an issue passing the cop cruising around 50 ~55 though. So long as you don't blitz pass them, it's not really an issue.

But it's true, whenever there's a cop in front, all cars stay behind it in all lanes
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #54
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:
THISSSSS! I can't tell you how many times cops cruise at like 70 on hwy 1 where it's 80 and people refuse to pass.....

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #55
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
got pulled over twice for going 40km and 42km over speed limit by traffic officers. Got a ticket obviously but both times they said they were being nice and won't suspend me and tow my car away for a week.

that sti...... getting me in so much trouble

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #56
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly View Post
got pulled over twice for going 40km and 42km over speed limit by traffic officers. Got a ticket obviously but both times they said they were being nice and won't suspend me and tow my car away for a week.

If you haven't tried it yet, by all means, take her out to a track day some time. You can go as fast as you, the car, and the conditions will allow, and you'll have a blast doing so. Plus, it's cheaper than a speeding ticket.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2013, 02:15 AM   #57
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,063 Times in 554 Posts
Agree 100% with above post cept for the cost part....

I dont think a speeding ticket alone can cover the cost for a track day... autoX yes, but not track days...

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #58
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post
Agree 100% with above post cept for the cost part....

I dont think a speeding ticket alone can cover the cost for a track day... autoX yes, but not track days...
it is if you get an excessive and its associated impound fees.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #59

I thought it was a mandatory impoundment if you get pulled for 40 over? As in the cop doesn't choose whether to impound or not?

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 12-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #60
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
I thought it was a mandatory impoundment if you get pulled for 40 over? As in the cop doesn't choose whether to impound or not?
he was given a ticket that wasn't for excessive, so there is no impoundment
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #61
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
When I got my excessive speed there was about 5 cops pulling a ton of people over in one huge sting.

The cop that pulled me over looked in the back (where I had a ton of luggage and stuff cause I was headed to work up near PG). The cop said under any other circumstances he would have just given me a regular speeding ticket and not impounded my car, but his supervisor was standing right by him when he clocked me at 49 over.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #62

In the FX?

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 12-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #63
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
In the FX?
Yup.

I had to leave the car in the impound yard for 3 weeks cause I couldn't come back in the middle of my rotation to pick it up. The impound yard was surrounded by cedar trees, so when I picked up my car it had a ton of sap all over it as well as pine needles in every crack and crevice. I was so choked.

The best part about that is they force you to pay like 40 bucks a day for your car to sit in this rickety piece of shit parking lot. I asked them about security, and they told me they lock the fence at night. I was like wow, really re-assuring.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #64

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
perhaps it's just the obvious...but I'm curious on how officers perceive slammed cars/huge park bench/fart can and how much it will affect a motorists chances of being pulled over for doing 5/10/20kph over the speed limit.

though I usually drive like a grandma in residential streets...i've never been pulled over in 10 years. There was a close call once when I did a rolling stop at a 4-way but a cruiser in the oncoming traffic couldn't bang a U-ey because of a new concrete divider on that street.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:02 AM   #65
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
perhaps it's just the obvious...but I'm curious on how officers perceive slammed cars/huge park bench/fart can and how much it will affect a motorists chances of being pulled over for doing 5/10/20kph over the speed limit.

though I usually drive like a grandma in residential streets...i've never been pulled over in 10 years. There was a close call once when I did a rolling stop at a 4-way but a cruiser in the oncoming traffic couldn't bang a U-ey because of a new concrete divider on that street.
For me, as a General Duty officer, it doesn't make a difference. I don't "pick" on those vehicles, but they do stick out from the average vehicle due to their loud exhaust and modified esthetics. So, it isn't so much that cops "pick" on modified cars, but maybe the owners of modified cars should be more careful about their cars screaming, "LOOK AT ME!!!".

If you come across a Traffic cop though... good luck.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #66
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
"LOOK AT ME". Hey, why are you lookin at me!!!!!! That is profiling.

That's kind of like people who wear 'revealing' clothing getting upset because you look at what is "revealed".
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #67
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rriggi View Post
If cop is behind you, pretend that having the needle indicate over the speed limit will cause a massive explosion.

pfftttt

cruising the number 1 on friday night, cop was doing 95-100 in the right lane, i was cruising in the left lane and passed him doing 110 and he didnt even glance at me.. he had a lineup of 30 cars behind him.. lol

dont do stupid things and cops wont bug you.. seems simple enough
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #68
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

^+1 to not doing stupid things.
That being said; was coming over the lionsgate with the mr2 turbo, thought I'd give it a bit of gas through the tunnel. Unfortunately there was a cop that caught me going 50 over at the end of the tunnel.
He said he wasn't going to impound the car or give me the larger ticket because he didn't want to wait for my taxi to come LOL apparently he stopped another guy and called him a taxi while impounding his car and the taxi driver kept driving by because he didn't realize he had to pull over on the highway to pick the guy up.
win
Derp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #69

^ Dat username accuracy.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 12-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #70
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
If they were doing more than just taking a quick look inside/check to see any signs of impairment, they would. Very common to do that and if there is anything that raises our concerns/questions/suspicions then we do ask for your DL. If there are none and there is a line up of traffic then we send you on your way....or would you rather wait until we check out every single driver in the line? I guess you didn't show any suspicious indicators, or the line of traffic was backed up? Either way, you hit the jackpot. Buy a lottery ticket on the way home.
My experience at roadblocks usually varies a fair bit, despite my approach always being the same.

Back in the summer I went through one, rolled down both driver side windows, turned on interior light and said "good evening" to the officer as I approached. In addition to "any alcohol tonight?", he asked for my DL, asked what I was up to that night, asked if I still lived on ____ street, etc... Clearly a fishing expedition. He almost seemed frustrated he couldn't pin anything on me. There were a couple of cars behind waiting to proceed, too.

A few nights ago I went though another roadblock. Same approach - rolled down the windows, turned on the interior light, said good evening as I came to a stop, etc... Officer asked if I had any alcohol and immediately let me proceed once I said no. No cars behind me, quiet road.

Clearly there's no procedure to follow and it's entirely up to the officer to decide if he wants to go fishing or just be as little of a burden as possible on the guy just trying to get home.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #71
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly View Post
No, I think it's your attitude. I have 9 years in a turbo Subaru and I haven't been stopped once.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #72

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Clearly a fishing expedition. He almost seemed frustrated he couldn't pin anything on me.
Obviously the officer could sense that you're a fucking git and decided he should delay you a few extra seconds just to ruin your entire night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #73
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Obviously the officer could sense that you're a fucking git and decided he should delay you a few extra seconds just to ruin your entire night.
Soundy, I wouldn't have been quite as subtle as you, but.....

sebbery....the Police are not going fishing, they are trying to detect impaired drivers....and there is no script to follow while doing this.

As stated in the MV Act, they are entitled to ask you to repeat details shown on your DL and you are required to answer them.

73 (1) A peace officer may require the driver of a motor vehicle to stop and the driver of a motor vehicle, when signalled or requested to stop by a peace officer who is readily identifiable as a peace officer, must immediately come to a safe stop.

(2) When requested by a peace officer, the driver of a motor vehicle or the person in charge of a motor vehicle on a highway must state correctly his or her name and address and the name and address of the owner of the motor vehicle.

(3) A person who contravenes subsection (1) or (2) commits an offence and is liable to a fine of not less than $100 and not more than $2 000 or to imprisonment for not less than 7 days and not more than 6 months, or to both.

Sometimes people who have something they are attempting to hide, do not respond appropriately. If any indicators are shown that cause suspicion then it will likely be followed up. I never became "frustrated" because drivers were behaving legally and only became "frustrated" if they tried to obstruct the whole process that resulted from them breaking the law. I got paid the same at the end of my shift, and, if the truth be known, I preferred that drivers were not impaired or breaking the law in other ways.

As a matter of background, the man who would have been my father-in-law was killed by an impaired driver & his wife severely injured and my brother was hit & injured by an impaired. He is still fighting the injuries sustained more than 40 years ago. I have also dealt with the families of those killed & injured by impaired drivers. I feel it is worth a few moments of everybody's time to prevent this happening if possible. There is plenty of work out there without wishing for even more people to break the law and drive impaired. If you get stopped at a Counter Attack road check this season, two words for you....Merry Christmas! Bet you thought they would be something else?

Last edited by zulutango; 12-22-2013 at 10:00 AM.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #74
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Rolling down more than your driver's window is sometimes done to expel the odour of liquor within the vehicle, so it may be interpreted as an indicator of trying to hide something when approaching a road block (opposite for the border.... I know). It may seem backwards but investigators frequently benefit from thinking outside the box.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #75
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Aww, are you grumpy because you got strip searched again?