REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Officer said to dispute ticket??? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/690892-officer-said-dispute-ticket.html)

milkStar 12-04-2013 10:06 PM

Officer said to dispute ticket???

Hi, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on a situation which occurred today, it would be greatly appreciated. Today at 5:30pm I was at Chinatown parked by 244 E Georgia St facing Gore Ave which is in front of Phnom Penh. My wife was at TD bank which is the opposite direction, I decided to perform a U turn and I checked that there were no on coming traffic either way. There weren't many cars parked to the side so when I performed a U turn I didn't even have to reverse. Right after I started driving the other way, a police officer came out of the alley between the small grocery store and Cafe Brixton and flashed his lights in which I pulled over to the side. I apologized and he gave me a lesson on how some drivers wouldn't be so nice to stop for you during your u turn. I told him I understood I will be more careful and to not do it again. He went back to his motorcycle and wrote me a ticket for $167, Section 168 (b) (iii) Prohibited U-turn. After he handed me the ticket he said to just dispute it and think of it as a early Christmas present.

So the question I had was, if he wanted to give me a early Christmas present why didn't he just give me a warning and not write the ticket?

On the back of the ticket it says the fine is reduced by $25 if I pay within 30 days of receiving, so if I dispute how long would it take to go to court if I say I want to dispute at the office tomorrow morning. If I lose my dispute would I still get the $25 off if it gets past the 30 days?

What are the times for the court disputes usually at?

Thanks guys, any advice would be appreciated!

GGnoRE 12-04-2013 10:07 PM

I think he was being sarcastic about the Christmas gift....

milkStar 12-04-2013 10:15 PM

Christmas gifts gives a positive vibe, giving me a ticket isn't a positive vibe. Plus I remember when he said that line very clearly he wasn't saying it in a sarcastic tone.

Mr.Jay 12-04-2013 10:29 PM

That or he is telling you to dispute him and he won't show up.

zilley 12-04-2013 10:32 PM

He probably won't show, he just wanted to meet his quota.

milkStar 12-04-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Jay (Post 8375511)
That or he is telling you to dispute him and he won't show up.

If he doesn't show up does the whole ticket get discharged or do I just talk to the judge by myself and maybe he'll reduce the fine?

yray 12-04-2013 10:43 PM

^ YOU SHOULD PAY THE FULL FINE, HE MEANT THAT IT WAS A XMAS PRESENT FOR THE GUBERMENT. NOT YOU.

zilley 12-04-2013 10:44 PM

if he dont show, the judge will ask if your guilty or not guilty.

you say not guilty even tho you are.

LightKeeper 12-05-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zilley (Post 8375518)
He probably won't show, he just wanted to meet his quota.

Is it true they still have quotas to meet?
I had an officer give me a ticket because apparently I didn't fully stop on a stop sign and he said "there are instructions on how to dispute it on the back"
However I still paid for it..
Anyone know how many points will that cost me?

zilley 12-05-2013 12:25 AM

I read it was not quotas, but I just said quotas in this case.

They need to have an amount of hours on the road and to prove it, they need to write tickets so it shows their actually on the road for that amount of hours.

And go to icbc site to see fine and penalties it's all there.

milkStar 12-05-2013 12:28 AM

I understand that a dispute only determines whether the infraction occurred—it does not consider why it occurred. I also understand that the penalty cannot be reduced, and that I must pay an additional $25 if my dispute is not successful.
Fewer than 5% of tickets adjudicated are cancelled

Do you guys think I should just pay my ticket and get $25 subtracted?
infraction occurred: I did u turn.
it does not consider why it occurred: they probably won't care why I did it, even though it was safe

If the officer doesn't show and I plea not guilty would it get cancelled? How would I plead guilty? Just completely say I didn't do it?

http://www.ag.gov.bc.ca/courts/forms/ptr/ptr021.pdf

Can someone confirm this the correctly form to fill out?

zilley 12-05-2013 12:43 AM

... I already answered your question.

milkStar 12-05-2013 12:48 AM

Sorry, I'm out of my mind right now. What I meant to say was, after I say that, what are the possible outcome that will happen? I just want enough knowledge to be comfortable with the situation. Will it possibly get cancelled, reduced or the judge will just tell me to pay it. All of this work and I don't want a negative outcome. I don't want a little pile of shit to turn into a bigger pile of shit and waste time. If I can pay within the 30 days it can be $142 instead of the $167 with time saved. As well as the having to appear in court in my head for the next 3 month without knowing the statistics. I'm trying to weigh out the outcome, because the officer seriously was nice and I'm trying to figure out his motif if he legit wanted me to dispute or playing me as a fool and accept the ticket.

zilley 12-05-2013 12:55 AM

If cop don't show then the case will go like this :

Judge : do you plea guilty or not guilty?
You : not guilty
Judge : you can go now

Ticket is dropped.

/thread!!!

LightKeeper 12-05-2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkStar (Post 8375635)
Sorry, I'm out of my mind right now.

This was my dilemma I was in about a month ago with my stop sign ticket. I chose to pay and get my $25 reduced. I took it as a shit day and I forgot about it.

But if you don't mind paying $25 more or you have no trace of a doubt that the officer will be absent then you should dispute it. This will be the perfect scenario for you. You show up to court (usually months after) and the police officer isn't there. You go in to hearing and you plead not guilty. You go home happy. :)

In case the officer does show though, you should have some sort of reason why you believe you should be not guilty. (like it was perfectly safe to make a u turn or there was no signs saying u turn was not allowed) Take photos if necessary. Having evidence can improve your chance of winning the case.
The police officer will want to speak to you before the hearing to make sure you are there. He might say things to scare you, just ignore him and do what you need to do in the hearing.

Hope this helped.:)
Best of luck to you.

zulutango 12-05-2013 04:08 AM

You did a u-turn where a sign prohibited u-turns & that is illegal. Options are : you can do nothing (you will be deemed convicted after 30 days) and the fine will need to be paid before you renew your DL or vehicle registration,
you can pay it early and get $25 off the fine,
you can dispute it and if you are not convicted in court you pay no fine...if you are convicted in court you pay the whole fine.

You choose which one you want.

Spidey 12-05-2013 05:04 AM

Without knowing what he really meant, the safest route would be to pay for the ticket within 30 days, and save 25 bucks.... OR you can do your research and see if the section he charged you under was indeed the infraction you committed. U turns are prohibited in certain areas. You can look it up to see if you did commit an offence. I have a good idea, and I am sure Zulu does as well, regarding what the officer meant. But I will keep it to myself since I don't want to "generalize".

xpl0sive 12-05-2013 07:01 PM

was it a VPD that pulled you over? If so, chances are he won't show. Even if he does show up, you can plead guilty when you go to court and ask for a reduction. Chances are it will get reduced to around $100...
Also, if you show up to court and the cop is there, ask him to amend the face of the ticket to say that you're being charged as the "owner of the vehicle", not the driver. That way there are no points associated with the ticket when you plead guilty to it.

zetazeta 12-06-2013 07:40 AM

My friend was in a similar situation, he got a ticket for something minor and the cop told him to dispute the ticket. I believe it was around the same time of the year... late Nov or early Dec. He disputed it and the cop didn't show up. Maybe the cop had to meet some kind of quota?

dared3vil0 12-06-2013 01:34 PM

Or maybe when you show up to court he'll issue it to the RO and reduce the fine?

snails 12-06-2013 02:39 PM

with Zilley on this one. i have heard many times of officers telling friends to dispute and take it as a warning.

v_tec 12-06-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snails (Post 8376799)
with Zilley on this one. i have heard many times of officers telling friends to dispute and take it as a warning.

It's Xilley, stop spelling it wrong :troll:

Nlkko 12-06-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkStar (Post 8375485)
If I lose my dispute would I still get the $25 off if it gets past the 30 days?

You won't.

skyline32 12-06-2013 10:19 PM

I have a similar incident, except I have a ticket for "failure to obey traffic control device" in my case would be a yellow light, therefore I'm deciding to dispute or not.

So my question is if I do wish to dispute, could i possibly just ask for a reduced fine for the ticket? IF I do plead guilty? and how would this all work?

zulutango 12-07-2013 06:48 AM

Do a bit of a search on the difference in fines for the actual section you were charged with, instead of failing to stop for a yellow light. You got about a $50 break (down from $167 to $122 if I remember correctly). The $25 reduction is for not disputing the charge and this must be done within 30 days to get the price drop. If you go to court and are convicted then you can ask the JP for a reduction as he/she is the only one who has the authority to reduce it below the indicated penalty. There is no guarantee that the fine will be dropped.