REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 12-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

School me on home theaters

Looking into getting a home theater. Was originally going to go with a sound bar but was told by ppl that they aren't very good. Mostly for TV and some music. Gotta 500-1000$ budget. The space I'm using it in isn't very big so I don't think I need too much wattage or bass for that matter. Most likely I was thinking a receiver, 2 speakers (preferably bookshelf style?) and small sub. Don't really have room for rear speakers. Ideas for brands and models? Maybe places to take a look at?
Advertisement
Farfetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Old School RS

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,201 Posts
Honestly at that budget, you are probably better off buying a good home theatre in a box (HTIAB) rather than trying to get into independent stuff. HTIAB absolutely blows for music but can be decent for home theatre as the sounds are all in shorter bursts which makes it less easy to observe how shitty it sounds.

If you wanted to do something that was much more musical but didn't blow for HT, I would recommend a pair of floorstanding speakers (they provide much more bass than a bookshelf due to the increased cabinet size and capability to house larger drivers), skip the sub, and buy a decent receiver to power it.

There are lots of deals on decent used floor standing speakers on Canuck Audio Mart or Craigslist as a lot of peoples' wives, etc have people move to bookshelves or smaller solutions. The trick is to buy a used HIGH QUALITY product rather than a new shitty one.

Mark

Last edited by lowside67; 12-06-2013 at 10:57 AM.
lowside67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

- Small space
- No need for surround/rear speakers
- TV and Music
- Don't need power

With these requirements I would recommend a soundbar. A 2.1 setup will also be good but I'm a big fan of less wires. If you go with a 2.1, another advantage is having the ability to expand your setup later.

There was a thread recently that had some good input and models:
http://www.revscene.net/forums/68989...und-sound.html

I haven't bought speakers and receivers in 10 years so I can't offer much input but check out that thread if you're still toying with the idea of sound bars. They can sound decent.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
If you are only using 2 speakers it's not really a home theater. For $1000 you can get a pretty decent HT.

If you want just 2 speakers and a sub look at the new pioneer sound bar it's one of the better ones out there.

Pioneer Speaker Bar And Wireless Subwoofer System | SPSB23W | Visions Electronics
Old 12-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
$1000 is a good price especially so if you dont mind a used unit here and there and wait for sales (perfect time now)

would love to help but im outta time now bbl :P
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
RS Licensed Vendor

If you have space for book shelf speakers that's probably you're best bet.

Sound bars suck, but if space is your biggest concern you don't have too much choice.

$1000 is a decent budget for a 2.1 setup.

What's the layout like in the room?
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
craigslist that shit!!!

you can get nice stuff way out of your budget, for within your budget. just do your research (speakers).

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 12-06-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #8

Somewhat small room. Just a 46" LED on top of a small low ikea tv bench and a med size sectional. Not a whole lot of room behind the couch due to the open concept of the room. I'd rather not do sound bars just because i've heard so many bad things about them. I'm pretty sure i'll go with a 2.1 or 3.1 setup. I'm just not sure what brands models I should look into.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #9

if space is a concern just go with a htib then you can get those rears

or if you want something fuller for the fronts you can always buy some simple satellites for the rears that sit on an end table or 3M taped to the wall (rears dont need to be amazing)

with $1000 for a 2.1 you can get some awesome equipment

but you'll really need to listen to some units in audio stores to see what brands you like since they have their own sound and not just speakers but receivers too

do a search in the entertainment thread too you'll find some threads with nice info
Old 12-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Here's a good starter 5.1 speaker set from a reputable company, Tannoy: Tannoy 5.1 Channel Home Theatre Speaker System - Black - TFX 5.1 - London Drugs

They will struggle with music, but for movies and games, they should be pretty good considering their size.

As for a receiver, go with this Marantz:
http://www.amazon.ca/Marantz-NR1403-...s=marantz+1403

I have an older slimline Marantz and it's pretty damn good for small to medium size rooms. Marantz doesn't cheap out on the components on these receivers, despite the form factor.

A home theatre system for $500 and change with money left to spare for an HTPC.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #11

if you wanted to cut space and stick with a 2.1 system

grab one of these if you can still find them, they're not exactly a soundbar even though they share the same form factor Mirage Uni-Theater its your Centre Left and Right speakers and the reviews were great for it too

In fact I recommend Mirage speakers if you wanted to save space their satellite speakers were quite positively reviewed when first released

I've got mirage speakers myself but their floor standing fatter ones as size wasn't a concern for me

as for receivers ive always been a Yamaha fan but Pioneers are great and Denons and I would recommend NAD receivers too (since you can upgrade them)

most important thing is to get into a store and start listening to speaker/receiver combinations and find what you like after you get an idea of what you want then you start shopping online for alternatives and cheaper prices (even used)

Last edited by StylinRed; 12-06-2013 at 11:20 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Love Mirage speakers. Currently using the discontinued Mirage OMD-5 (omni-polar.)

(I missed Tapioca's post above - oops!)
Spoiler!

As for receivers, I'm with StylinRed on this one. I'm a fan of Yamaha but currently using an Onkyo. Denon, Harmon Kardon and Pioneers are pretty good but you have to figure out what you want to achieve before throwing money away.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 12-07-2013 at 07:23 PM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
Please stay away from the home theaters in a box. Most of them are just junk, and even the decent ones are still very 'meh', and not worth the money. They're the all-season tires of the home theater world. They do everything so-so, and are great at nothing.

You need to go and listen to some of the higher end soundbars. Although I'm not a huge fan of them either, the higher end ones can sound very good. Waaaay better than a HTIAB in your budget range. Do yourself a favour and go listen to some. They might surprize you.

Then of course you can get an A/V reciever, or even just a Stereo reciever and power just 2 speakers. Music will sound good, as will tv/movies. Again, you need to go and listen to different brands of speakers to see which ones sound the best to your ears. Everyone is different. Spend the $$ on a decent reciever (like a Marantz). Even if you end up just getting a 2ch one. Then like others have said, keep your eyes open on craigslist for speakers, as you can potenially save tons on a good set of speakers.
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #14

So ended up getting a mid level Yamaha receiver. Also went with a pair of Martin Logan Motion 2s on a bit of a impulse buy. Was also looking at a pair of paradigm atom v7. Starting to second guess myself on the speakers. Any others I should be looking at? Basically narrowed things down to bookshelf size speakers in the ~$400/pair range. Don't need a huge amount of power.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #15
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the Martin Logan speakers. They are all for looks, and they don't sound great in my opinion. For Paradigm speakers, the V7 was made as a low range option to their line. They are not spectacular in any sense of the word, you are basically paying for the name.

Here is my thoughts on bookshelf speakers in your range...

KEF 5.25" Uni Q Bookshelf Speakers | Q100 | Visions Electronics

Polk Audio 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers - Black | MONITOR45 | Visions Electronics <---these often go on sale so I would wait

JBL Bookshelf Speakers (LOFT40) - Pair : Bookshelf/Rear Speakers - Best Buy Canada

I have last years model of this in Black...

Polk Audio Bookshelf Speaker (TSi200) - Cherry : Bookshelf/Rear Speakers - Best Buy Canada

So those are mid range Bookshelf speakers. I would recommend the last one mostly, because I have it and it sounds great, if you don't plan on adding a sub woofer to your system anytime soon, they have a decent low range. the mids and highs are great on there as well.

Test the system out with your own ears! Try your own music on it and see if it sounds like how you like it to sound.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides

Last edited by nabs; 12-29-2013 at 05:11 PM.
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfetched View Post
So ended up getting a mid level Yamaha receiver. Also went with a pair of Martin Logan Motion 2s on a bit of a impulse buy. Was also looking at a pair of paradigm atom v7. Starting to second guess myself on the speakers. Any others I should be looking at? Basically narrowed things down to bookshelf size speakers in the ~$400/pair range. Don't need a huge amount of power.
Just go and listen to as many speakers as you can. make sure you take music you know very well with you. Also listen to the speakers without the sub on. Also a good idea to take notes.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
RS Veteran

The KEF Q100s are an excellent choice, given its sale price. They sound amazing as-is. Will only be better once broken in!

Haven't listened to the Polk TSi200 nabs recommended but I would imagine they would be just as good, if not, slightly better (but not by a huge gap.)

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 12-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #18

ugh I think the more I go around auditioning speakers the more I'm upping my budget. Right now its down to kef q300, psb image b6 or b&w 685. Each good each a little different.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
I know that feeling... but do yourself a favour and get the ones that you find the nicest, even if it means spending a bit more than your budget. You'llbe happier in the long run. Even if your bank account doesn't agree.
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #20
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon_Fed View Post
I know that feeling... but do yourself a favour and get the ones that you find the nicest, even if it means spending a bit more than your budget. You'llbe happier in the long run. Even if your bank account doesn't agree.
Yuppppp. Couldn't agree more.

A good set of speakers will last you a lifetime. Buy it right once, and you'll never have to buy them again (provide you break them in properly).

I'm running B&W's.....acoustically they sound wicked. Might not be a party speaker but sure sound well rounded.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #21
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Don't know if their still around but we bought our 5.0 system from AVS audio, they've lasted HEAVY use for over 4 years now and still sound excellent hooked to Yamaha VX 667 receiver, don't know if that is the model but it is a 800W receiver

Stay away from AV123 if they are still around
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Don't know if their still around but we bought our 5.0 system from AVS audio, they've lasted HEAVY use for over 4 years now and still sound excellent hooked to Yamaha VX 667 receiver, don't know if that is the model but it is a 800W receiver

Stay away from AV123 if they are still around
Posted via RS Mobile
AV123 is long gone and the owner has been charged with fraud and I think was found guilty.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #23
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
fuck good no fucking doubt about those clowns

I dealt with their CS for like 2 weeks looking for a specific set of speakers, they didn't have them once I ordered so he said I can offer you these instead

Told them no please remove my account I'll be going with another company

Two weeks later a big set of boxes arrives at my house and literally like that minute they showed up my visa was charged, didn't sign for shit told ups to return to sender went online and flipped my shit about the charges and all their buddies on the forum were saying I was going to get what was coming to me for bad mouthing the company? Lol ducking clowns
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:28 PM   #24

So ended up with a mid level Yamaha receiver and the KEF q300s. I was considering the B&W but they ended up with being ~200 out of my price range. If I didn't get such a good deal on the KEFs I think I might have went with the PSBs. I think I stayed generally in my budget, but already thinking about a center speaker or sub. sigh
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2014, 12:01 AM   #25
RS Veteran

Break the KEF's in properly. You won't need a sub.