REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Tooth Abscess (https://www.revscene.net/forums/690968-tooth-abscess.html)

Recon604 12-06-2013 08:32 PM

Tooth Abscess

So my mom has been on antibiotics (500mg of amoxicillin) for 3 days to fight the infection, but shes constantly in pain. She went to see the dentist to drain out the abscess. It seems like it jsut keeps coming back. She says the pain keeps getting unbearable. I am worried since this can cause brain abscess.

Anyone have any remedies at home or any suggestions?

Spidey 12-06-2013 08:46 PM

antibiotics SHOULD do the trick.. and it was cleaned out by the dentist too.. I would go back to the dentist, maybe the type of AB she was prescribed isn't working. If I can remember correctly, Amoxicillin is effective for a broad spectrum of bacteria. Just because she is still in pain, does not necessarily mean it the AB isn't working.

Ri2 12-07-2013 02:03 AM

For antibiotics, generally takes about 10 days for them to build up in your body and work most effectively. Tell her to keep taking them until they run out, and rinse her mouth as often as possible with saline (warm water and salt)...after every meal, every morning and night.

Tell her to get a second opinion, it doesn't hurt to have a fresh pair of eyes look at something the regular may have missed. Mouth pain fuckin sucks I know, so just try to be compassionate but firm. Also try warm compresses on her face where the abcess is located... it may help draw the fluid out.

bcrdukes 12-07-2013 01:14 PM

Ri2,

I would love to give you a different kind of abscess. :ifyouknow:

eurochevy 12-07-2013 01:44 PM

I had one once when I was much much younger and still had my kid teeth, well it basically meant that the tooth needed to come out, could be the case here, maybe tooth just died. What exactly did the dentist say ? (inb4 OP says dentist is non-licensed asian dentist working out of his spare bedroom)

Puck Luck 12-08-2013 01:12 AM

I had one earlier this year. Ended up needing a root canal. Tooth was dying a slow death and leaking stuff into the roof of my mouth. Had the abscess drained then came back for the root canal couple days later. (which reminds me...i still have to get it crowned). Like Ri2 says, you got to finish the meds. Takes time to build up the antibodies

Ri2 12-13-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8377390)
Ri2,

I would love to give you a different kind of abscess. :ifyouknow:

Bring it, Dukes. I'm Ready :concentrate:

xmisstrinh 12-15-2013 06:31 PM

Sounds like mama needs a root canal!