REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #51
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Re: wages

I was at CP yesterday picking up mail cuz our apartment box broken into. I was there for about 10-15mins and I saw 3 works come to work in Yellow Cab. Maybe they take it from the skytrain (closest is Gateway), but the walk is about 15mins from skytrain to CP. They must be making enough $$ to afford cab rides - probably on a regular basis.

I wonder what would happen if CP privatizes mail delivery - just delivery. Would that even be possible? Kind of like Coast Mountain Bus Co. is to Translink.
those cabs are used to get to their starting points on their routes and CP pays for that not the letter carriers. CP is already rolling out a new delivery system in which most routes will now use a corporate vehicle so using a cab will be gone in the future.
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #52
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Re: wages

I was at CP yesterday picking up mail cuz our apartment box broken into. I was there for about 10-15mins and I saw 3 works come to work in Yellow Cab. Maybe they take it from the skytrain (closest is Gateway), but the walk is about 15mins from skytrain to CP. They must be making enough $$ to afford cab rides - probably on a regular basis.
Woah man, that is pretty fuckin' judgey of you!

Maybe you should list what you spend your money on and we can all critique it and decide whether or not you are paid too much.

Maybe these carriers are paid to much and maybe they aren't. This problem started years and years ago and I wouldn't be passing judgement on anyone one of those 8000 people who just got the heads-up to their pink slip via the news yesterday.
MasonJar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #53
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,765 Times in 1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonJar View Post
When I switched everything over the electronic bill years ago I was terrible at remembering to pay....I just set all my bills up for automatic payment. Every single bill I have is paid on the 4th of every month regardless of when it is due. I even had my car insurance switched to come out on the 4th.

On the 1st of every month I switch a bunch of money into my "bill" account and I don't even think about it anymore. It is easy to remember b/c I I need to pay my mortgage, etc on the 1st so its when I do all my banking.
How do you auto-pay stuff like your credit cards when the balance is going to be different every month?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #54
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
I'm setup to auto-pay the minimum (kind of like a failsafe) but I'm sure you can set it up to at least pay a set amount.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7

Last edited by fliptuner; 12-12-2013 at 02:22 PM.
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #55
My homepage has been set to RS

biggest issue with paper bills or anything not digitized is:

How do you search through them quickly and efficiently? So not just bills posted on specific dates, but certain keywords etc.

And the physical aspect of it:
You need space to store it. you need space to dump it. And you could lose it (and it is much easier to backup digital files than physical ones. lol and a backup of a physical file could possibly be a digital file)

Also you may not always be home. So if it is digitized, there is a way to access such information quickly and efficiently.

And security? It all depends on implementation on whatever system you are using. it can always be improved upon

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #56
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
How do you auto-pay stuff like your credit cards when the balance is going to be different every month?
Exactly what Ice Boy said.

I set it to the minimum (or about that) but when I am doing my banking at the beginning of the month, I can always throw some more money at it but if I forget or get side-tracked with something else, at least I know the min. is paid.

Same with my phone...I'd rather over pay than under. Usually it works out that I will have a positive balance at the end of the year or when I remember to check. Its kind of a nice little bonus. I ended up with a positive balance of $400 last year and didn't have to pay that bill for months, lol.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #57
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
the bank emails me when a bill is near due. or i just log on. and then i view the e-bill and pay via bank transfer or whatever.

the only shit i get thats not electronic is hydro... and spam. lol.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #58
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
aaannndd I just received a CTB cheque......

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #59
I don't get it

Thanked 2,127 Times in 204 Posts
I find it funny that a lot of people bitch about only getting junk mail and bills. But when they are expecting something like a cheque, they will once again bitch and moan. However this time it is that the mail takes forever to get to them and that the service is slow and unreliable.

Also postal employees don't make $30+ an hour unless they are doing overtime. Starting pay with the two tier wage is $19 an hour. Regular full time employees are paid around $24 an hour.

Bonuses were paid even though the company was losing millions of dollars a year. But guess who gets the bonuses? Not the employees who are out there delivering your mail. Its the management and office workers.

Another thing, the CEO of Canada Post, Deepak Chopra, sits on the board of the Conference Board of Canada (the thing that says they are going to lose $1 billion dollars by 2020). Conflict of interest much?

Last edited by Coren; 12-12-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #60
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayboogz View Post
Paper mail is actualy more secure than email lol.
Indian High Commission returns to typewriters - Telegraph

"The Indian High Commission in London has reverted to using typewriters to compose sensitive documents in the wake of the NSA spying scandal."
1989 Yamaha Virago XV535 (sold)
1994 Ford Ranger (sold)
1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon (sold)
2014 Toyota Corolla (loaner)
1996 Isuzu Trooper (RIP🔥)
2003 Jetta Wolfie (sold)
1963 (T)rusty Stude Lark (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
kunoman is still alive! not raped by oil riggers yet....
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #61
2 Wheelin' Mod

Canada post isn't slow anymore we receive letters from Vancouver to Surrey the next day.
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #62
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
^ lucky. All BC mail gets sorted in Vancouver now. So Kelowna to Kelowna mail has to go to vancouver first. 3-4 day mail now takes a week and a half. And that's when a Canada Post truck doesnt crash on the connector, theres been like 3 or 4 in the last year.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #63
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
^ lucky. All BC mail gets sorted in Vancouver now. So Kelowna to Kelowna mail has to go to vancouver first. 3-4 day mail now takes a week and a half. And that's when a Canada Post truck doesnt crash on the connector, theres been like 3 or 4 in the last year.
That just seems so inefficient...

In semirelated news, does Canada Post still do same day delivery (before a certain time) for lower mainland -> Lower mainland postage? I recall a few years ago around this time people were getting my letters almost faster than I could have delivered them myself.
1989 Yamaha Virago XV535 (sold)
1994 Ford Ranger (sold)
1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon (sold)
2014 Toyota Corolla (loaner)
1996 Isuzu Trooper (RIP🔥)
2003 Jetta Wolfie (sold)
1963 (T)rusty Stude Lark (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
kunoman is still alive! not raped by oil riggers yet....
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #64
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,765 Times in 1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunoman1 View Post
That just seems so inefficient...

In semirelated news, does Canada Post still do same day delivery (before a certain time) for lower mainland -> Lower mainland postage? I recall a few years ago around this time people were getting my letters almost faster than I could have delivered them myself.
Same thing for the island, they take our mail to Vancouver, and then send it back to us.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #65
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
Obviously, the demographics here on RS is generally younger -- no older than 30-40? So for the most part, the community mail box thing wouldn't be too much of an issue for us. But as many news articles have pointed out, moving over to a community mail box system impacts seniors dramatically more than anyone else. Imagine yourself being old and frail, are you going to go out 2 blocks in last week's weather just to pick up your mail?

Since cost is supposed to be the central issue here, it seems to me that less frequent days of delivery is a more ideal solution. And I'm sure other ideas better than community mail boxes can be found as well.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #66
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
INB4 criminals go on mail theft spree's.

Just down my street is a community mailbox and I've seen that thing, like 1/2 block away because some guy tried putting a chain around it and driving off with it..

These things better get more secure.. Or CP is going to have a world of headaches.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #67

To be fair, breaking into a locked community mail box is harder than simply opening the lid to a residential mail box
Old 12-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #68
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
I'd say $24 an hour and a gold plate pension is pretty sweet for outing letters in boxes
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #69
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I'd say $24 an hour and a gold plate pension is pretty sweet for outing letters in boxes
Posted via RS Mobile
Cool.

What do you do and how much do you much? Maybe we can take a poll here and decide whether your income is appropriate.

$24/hr is only just under $50,000/year....$35k after tax. That ain't a lot to live off of.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #70
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
the arguments ive been hearing is that canada post has been profitable for the last 15+ years (aside for 2011s labour fiasco) kind of makes you think if this is simply a way around their contract/pension issues with the workforce rather than a lack of mail being sent
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #71
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,990 Times in 538 Posts
Quote:
Cool.

What do you do and how much do you much? Maybe we can take a poll here and decide whether your income is appropriate.

$24/hr is only just under $50,000/year....$35k after tax. That ain't a lot to live off of.
Let me know when you can land a $24/hour job without post secondary education. When I was a student, I too laughed at people who were only making $24 a hour...

And now here I am, hitting mid 20's and finally just recently in this year got bumped in to the >$25/hour category.... (and that is with a University degree). Is my job easier than a post man... well ya, because I sit behind a desk... but I would say my income is pretty decent...

I understand what you are saying, but I think $24/hr is "a lot" to live off. and no... not everyone is going to land a $35/hr job just so they can live a "normal" live....

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2013, 03:03 AM   #72
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Cool.

According to this chart, 52% of the population makes 1-30k/year. This figure goes up to 74% if we include annual incomes up to 50k.

If a job did indeed require no education and paid $24/hr (translating into $50k/yr), I would say that's quite generous not only on a global basis but also locally since the median Vancouver family income of 2 earners is ~65k.

Although I will agree with you in a sense because the threshold to make the top 10% of incomes in this country is incredibly low.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 12-14-2013 at 03:11 AM.
bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #73
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coren View Post
I find it funny that a lot of people bitch about only getting junk mail and bills. But when they are expecting something like a cheque, they will once again bitch and moan. However this time it is that the mail takes forever to get to them and that the service is slow and unreliable.

Also postal employees don't make $30+ an hour unless they are doing overtime. Starting pay with the two tier wage is $19 an hour. Regular full time employees are paid around $24 an hour.

Bonuses were paid even though the company was losing millions of dollars a year. But guess who gets the bonuses? Not the employees who are out there delivering your mail. Its the management and office workers.

Another thing, the CEO of Canada Post, Deepak Chopra, sits on the board of the Conference Board of Canada (the thing that says they are going to lose $1 billion dollars by 2020). Conflict of interest much?
Not to bash employees here. As I'm all for fair wages. But imho, management should have hired more temp staff. I dont understand how employees can finish their main route in 4-5 hours and then pick up another route for OT. As a company, why can't they hire more seasonal/temp employees so that they don't have to work out the expensive OT wages? I think it's just mismanagement.

Come rain, sleet or snow: A day with a Canada Post mail carrier - The Globe and Mail

Also, $24 hour to SORT mail indoors? + 7 weeks Vacation? okay, I'll give this employee a break since she's been with the company for a very long time. I dont want a race to the bottom in wages and that people deserve to earn enough to make a decent living. But most would argue that may be a bit excessive for doing something like sorting mail during these economic times.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #74

Old 12-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #75
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

It's funny how everyone complains that they are getting paid too much. would you rather have them hire high school dropouts for 10 dollars an hour and mishandle your packages or pay them a decent amount to have your packages arrive in one piece.
Posted via RS Mobile
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: