REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #26
I don't get it

Thanked 2,127 Times in 204 Posts
Community mail boxes are more secure then the apartment panels. However, it can still be broken into.
And it is a pain in the ass when it does. Takes like a week or two for them to be fixed and sometimes they switch the keys on your box so you have to wait even longer before you get your mail.

And all the outlets with Canada post on them already pulled the P stamps shortly after the news went out. You may still be able to find some at gas stations or small stores
Edit: Sister told me Costco is still selling them at $60 for the 100 roll
Advertisement

Last edited by Coren; 12-11-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #27
Banned By Establishment

Really, the only thing carriers deliver these days is fliers and come to think of it, gov't mail. Everything else I get is electronic except gov't shit.
MasonJar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #28
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coren View Post
Community mail boxes are more secure then the apartment panels. However, it can still be broken into.
And it is a pain in the ass when it does. Takes like a week or two for them to be fixed and sometimes they switch the keys on your box so you have to wait even longer before you get your mail.

And all the outlets with Canada post on them already pulled the P stamps shortly after the news went out. You may still be able to find some at gas stations or small stores
Edit: Sister told me Costco is still selling them at $60 for the 100 roll
Collectors can still get "P" stamps. I better get them before they pull those, too. It's a shame they didn't issue any new ones recently. Those stamps would become rare and be worth more.

Like the rate change stamps that got canceled because Canada Post decided not to raise the rate. A few stamps got to post offices before they were pulled and destroyed. They are now worth hundreds.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #29
Dip Dip Dip Dip Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonJar View Post
Really, the only thing carriers deliver these days is fliers and come to think of it, gov't mail. Everything else I get is electronic except gov't shit.
We deliver a little more than fliers and government mail just a heads up.

88 CRX - Turbo AWD
03 G35- HKS GT Supercharged - Toy
03 Cummins 2500 - Tow Rig/ Money maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashMan View Post
think befro you type
Super Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #30
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dipper View Post
We deliver a little more than fliers and government mail just a heads up.
Quite obviously, but the majority of shit that ends up in my mail box are fliers. I have changed everything over the electronic billing: phone, cable/internet, bank statements, mortgage stuff, etc. All other mail I get comes from MSP, student loans, property tax, etc.

I also just received a lovely note from Christy Clark asking me to make a donation to the Liberal Party *eyeroll*

I have taken to only checking my mail once a week and immediately recycling 20+ fliers and never opening the less than 3 pieces of legitimate mail.

Don't get me wrong...it is going to be a huge hardship to those employed by Canada Post. I find it frustrating that yet another gov't corporation will be slashing thousands of job. My mail carrier is the nicest lady but I often wonder if she gets annoying with the amount of garbage she delivers.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #31
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Buy up "P" stamps now. They will always be whatever the going rate is.
when do the rates start going up for stamps?

Last edited by iEatClams; 12-11-2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: nevermind, seems to have been pulled
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #32
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
http://www.revscene.net/forums/69110...ml#post8380141

in original post........
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #33
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
How do other countries mail systems make money?

What about that Drone thing from amazon? I heard some Euro country was trying it out for mail delivery. Wonder if it would work in Canada?

The only downside aside from the jobs lost is the fact that mail thieves now get 100:1 deal. break into 1 community box get 100 items vs. travel, break in , travel break in - time is money! I hope these community boxes have some good security.
As a caveat, I'm usually pretty left leaning, supporting worker rights and a right to make a decent living, as well as being against corporate lobbying and greed.

But in this case, some of it does have to do with the wages. Many of the staff at Canada Post (CP) make over $30 an hour to file mail. or even $35+ to deliver mail. Yes I understand it's not easy to deliver male in bad weather carrying 40? lb bags or mail. But still, when you can easily deliver your route in 4-5 hours and then bank over time wages during holidays. Wages can get out of hand.

I understand they have a two-tier system where newer employees are at least paid a bit less, but there seems to be some mis-management on the employee side. How about hiring more seasonal employees during busy season so that you dont have to pay 1.5x or 2.x for Overtime?

And no I dont want this to turn to another Union bashing thread.

The management were also slow to adopt to changes to the electronic age. ie. Blockbuster

sucks that people have to lose jobs. seems to be hearing a lot of stories like that right now with Encana, Potash, Heinz ketchup, Kelloggs, BMO etc. right before christmas.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #34
Banned By Establishment

People need to make $30+ an hour in the country to sustain a living and to be able to spend to stimulate the economy.

This country is dying. Companies are moving, cost of living is growing higher and higher, wages are not keeping up, real estate is out of reach for most, and now not even gov't can afford to pay their employees any longer.

Yes, Canada Post is being made redundant due to technology, but it was poorly managed from the beginning which will make to string more painful.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #35
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
On the other hand USA is going to a 6 day delivery week
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #36
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,063 Times in 308 Posts
so.. is it time to invest in some stamps?
zilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #37
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
....USPS tried ending Saturday delivery awhile ago but cant because its in their constitution or something..they are in a whackload of debt as well
Sw0op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #38
Banned (ABWS)

not good, but nothing we can do.
linni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #39
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile
UK has Saturday delivery as well.

It seems that a lot of countries are increase while we are decreasing...either we are WAY ahead in our thinking or have royally fucked something up.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #40

I don't think cutting costs appropriately at the federal level is ever a bad thing but if service falls to shit then who knows
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #41
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
In unrelated news, the number of mail carriers injured on the job through slips and trips is up 2000% over last year...

#youhearditherefirst
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #42
I am grateful grapefruit

Royal Mail can't really be compared to because the UK is just so much more dense than Canada. If you have a letter going from one end of the country to the other, you'll need to put it on a plane in Canada, while in the UK - you can put it on a Lorry and it'll still be faster.

USPS is easier to compare to - and well....

The Post Office Is Broke: It's Time To End Washington's Postal Monopoly - Forbes

16 Billion deficit last year. According to the article - they were running 4 billion in the red back in August.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #43
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,763 Times in 1,748 Posts
I still like my paper bills, gives me a good reminder to pay them. Harder to forget about something that I can pin up on my bulletin board and have to walk past everyday, than something that can get buried in my inbox.

And I get more spam in my email inbox than I do in my house mailbox.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #44

Rogers been fucking me in the ass with paperless billing, I'm going to be holding onto all the paper billing I can for as long as I can

Without a paper trail it's hard to look back through months without printing out 30 pages of online bills
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #45
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
What a slap in the face that employees found out through the news.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #46
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Rogers been fucking me in the ass with paperless billing, I'm going to be holding onto all the paper billing I can for as long as I can

Without a paper trail it's hard to look back through months without printing out 30 pages of online bills
Posted via RS Mobile

save as pdf. name the file accordingly. WAY easier than filing paper.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #47
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I still like my paper bills, gives me a good reminder to pay them. Harder to forget about something that I can pin up on my bulletin board and have to walk past everyday, than something that can get buried in my inbox.

And I get more spam in my email inbox than I do in my house mailbox.
When I switched everything over the electronic bill years ago I was terrible at remembering to pay....I just set all my bills up for automatic payment. Every single bill I have is paid on the 4th of every month regardless of when it is due. I even had my car insurance switched to come out on the 4th.

On the 1st of every month I switch a bunch of money into my "bill" account and I don't even think about it anymore. It is easy to remember b/c I I need to pay my mortgage, etc on the 1st so its when I do all my banking.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #48
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,118 Times in 161 Posts
Paper mail is actualy more secure than email lol.
Jayboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #49
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
All my monthly invoices are paid by a cheque in the mail. I guess I will have to figure out a way to move that to electronic payment

I switched all my invoicing over to email 2 years ago. And let a couple of clients go because they didn't know how to use email. Lol

While most people in this thread I imagine are typical 9-5 employees and only get crap in the mail, many small businesses still rely on mail.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #50
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Re: wages

I was at CP yesterday picking up mail cuz our apartment box broken into. I was there for about 10-15mins and I saw 3 works come to work in Yellow Cab. Maybe they take it from the skytrain (closest is Gateway), but the walk is about 15mins from skytrain to CP. They must be making enough $$ to afford cab rides - probably on a regular basis.

I wonder what would happen if CP privatizes mail delivery - just delivery. Would that even be possible? Kind of like Coast Mountain Bus Co. is to Translink.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: