REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 12-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Doesn't know that condom-depot.com has free shipping

how do i properly install SSD drive?

anyone know how i can install the SSD to boot main programs/games and use my old HDD as the storage for the main files of those programs? is that even possible.
Advertisement
doritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
I STILL don't get it

Uhh, if you want to boot a program off the SSD then that means that those programs will be installed and stored on the SSD. Not sure if that's what you're asking, you might want to clarify.
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

When you boot your computer, make sure you change in bios settings that it boots up the SSD first. I think what Doritos means is that he wants to install Windows on the ssd/run his main programs and games.
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
make sure the ssd has windows on it and it will boot first
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
not true.. if you have more then 3 drives and the drive with windows isnt on the first 3 boot drives, it will fail to load the OS
Old 12-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gYU View Post
When you boot your computer, make sure you change in bios settings that it boots up the SSD first. I think what Doritos means is that he wants to install Windows on the ssd/run his main programs and games.
yeah thats right, i just installed fresh windows on new ssd drive and it boots up, now i have the old hdd that i want to use as storage to save files from the main programs on the ssd, if that makes any sense? Say i want to run the sims 3 or skyrim on the ssd, am i able to save the game file saves to hdd so the ssd doesnt take up room?
Old 12-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
yup, its booting correctly
Old 12-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #8

oh and how can i transfer large files say around 40gb from a hard drive to a new one? it takes way to long to use network sharing..
Old 12-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doritos View Post
oh and how can i transfer large files say around 40gb from a hard drive to a new one? it takes way to long to use network sharing..
CTRL X and then CTRL P?
Old 12-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Why you make threads like this?

First you ask how to install brakes, ok fine.
then you ask joystick lah --?
Now you ask how to install SSD?

Maybe you should SSD

STOP SHITTING DICKS onto revscene

my internets are compromised.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
anyone know how i can install the SSD to boot main programs/games and use my old HDD as the storage for the main files of those programs? is that even possible.
i don't think that is possible. when you install a program or game onto your SSD, all the files will be installed there. there is no way to use JUST use your SSD to boot up the game while all the files are stored on your secondary HDD.

if you are looking for fast boot up times, you may consider getting a hybrid SSD.
it contains NAND and basically your most used files/programs will be stored in that section and it will boot faster.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
HELP ME PLS!!!

How to Migrate to a Solid-State Drive Without Reinstalling Windows
Old 12-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
As far as your computer is concerned, the SSD is just another hard drive - it doesn't know the difference, and you won't know the difference using it except it will be faster; everything will still work exactly as it did before. Once you're booting from the SSD, just reconnect the other drive, go in the BIOS, and make sure the machine is set to boot off the SSD. When you get into Windows, the old drive will show up as the next available drive letter (probably D: or E: )

So the real question becomes, can THE GAME store its game files in a different location than where the program itself is installed? If so, just point that path to somewhere on the old drive. If not, you MIGHT be able to make it work with some trickery, like mounting the old drive as a folder rather than as a drive.

I just swapped an SSD into my laptop: I put it in a SATA dock, plugged that into my laptop, used Acronis TrueImage to clone the old laptop drive to the SSD, then put the SSD in the laptop. Bing, bang, boom, done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #15
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

learn how to use google.
Posted via RS Mobile
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #16
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
As far as your computer is concerned, the SSD is just another hard drive - it doesn't know the difference, and you won't know the difference using it except it will be faster; everything will still work exactly as it did before. Once you're booting from the SSD, just reconnect the other drive, go in the BIOS, and make sure the machine is set to boot off the SSD. When you get into Windows, the old drive will show up as the next available drive letter (probably D: or E: )

So the real question becomes, can THE GAME store its game files in a different location than where the program itself is installed? If so, just point that path to somewhere on the old drive. If not, you MIGHT be able to make it work with some trickery, like mounting the old drive as a folder rather than as a drive.

I just swapped an SSD into my laptop: I put it in a SATA dock, plugged that into my laptop, used Acronis TrueImage to clone the old laptop drive to the SSD, then put the SSD in the laptop. Bing, bang, boom, done.
how easy was it to use Acronis TrueImage? im planning to clone my smaller SSD to a bigger SSD.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #17
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
stop eating doritos , you damn sloth
Old 12-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #18
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby View Post
how easy was it to use Acronis TrueImage? im planning to clone my smaller SSD to a bigger SSD.
acronis is pretty easy to use as it has a really friendly GUI.

I use clonezilla for ssd/mechanical to ssd as that has always worked for me
Old 12-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #19
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
yeah thats right, i just installed fresh windows on new ssd drive and it boots up, now i have the old hdd that i want to use as storage to save files from the main programs on the ssd, if that makes any sense? Say i want to run the sims 3 or skyrim on the ssd, am i able to save the game file saves to hdd so the ssd doesnt take up room?
Unfortunately, this is not possible.

Games usually save their data in the same folder and drive they are installed in. There are exceptions, but they still save to the same drive, usually in My Documents.

What you can do is partition the SSD into separate partitions, depending on the size of your SSD. If it's 120gb or lower, just do two partitions.

60gb for Windows only. 60gb for games and programs. Or whatever you like.

Second option is buy another SSD. Prices are decreasing and they're much cheaper than they were couple years ago.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #20
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Just to clarify, Windows DOES know that it's an SSD, and will make changes to accommodate. This will allow it to run as fast as possible, without wasting a lot of writes.

As a result, any SSD you buy today will effectively last "forever" as far as write durability is concerned. Some may run slower than others as it gets filled up however, but things will always work in the background to have it running as fast as possible.

You should always run everything off the SSD as long as you have space for it. Do not disable anything, do not move anything off it...
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Just to clarify, Windows DOES know that it's an SSD, and will make changes to accommodate. This will allow it to run as fast as possible, without wasting a lot of writes.
Right, I worded it poorly. FUNCTIONALLY, the USER will never see a difference between an SSD and a spinny drive. They look the same in Disk Management, in disk Properties, and for that matter, in pretty much every disk utility.

Quote:
You should always run everything off the SSD as long as you have space for it. Do not disable anything, do not move anything off it...
This is true: your game files will read/write much faster from the SSD; moving them off to the spinny drive will only negate some of the benefit you'd see from it.
Quote:
Old 12-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby View Post
Acronis is a breeze. It will allow you to expand the image to fill the new drive, or shrink it if there's freespace on the original, or leave it the same size so you can create a separate partition afterward.

If you own a Seagate or Western Digital drive, there are free versions available - they check for the presence of a branded drive, but you don't have to be copying to or from that drive, so you could be moving say, from an Intel SSD to a Corsair, but if you plug in a Seagate external, Acronis will detect that and run normally.

WD version: WD Support
Seagate version: DiscWizard | Seagate (yes, "DiscWizard" is ATIH)
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #23
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Right, I worded it poorly. FUNCTIONALLY, the USER will never see a difference between an SSD and a spinny drive. They look the same in Disk Management, in disk Properties, and for that matter, in pretty much every disk utility.

This is true: your game files will read/write much faster from the SSD; moving them off to the spinny drive will only negate some of the benefit you'd see from it.
I just installed Battlefield 4 on to a regular drive because my SSD didn't have enough space. Worst idea ever! The load times are so long, I wonder if my computer has frozen...

Should have just deleted some stuff off my SSD.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #24
HELP ME PLS!!!

^should of gotten a bigger ssd
Old 12-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #25
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Yeah I have to reinstall BF4 onto my SSD drive, but I am lazy. It doesnt load THAT slowly, but I know how fast it could be.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote