REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
What Valets really think of your car

Came across this article from Popularmechanics.com and thought it was interesting.

Quote:
Ferrari is like a beautiful woman," Ferrari chief Luca di Montezemolo explains. "You must desire her, you must wait for her." That explains the two-year wait for a nearly $300,000 458 Spider model. Owners are members of a very exclusive club, and that's been reflected in Ferrari's long-time reign as "most popular" by discerning valet parkers at the nation's top restaurants.

These days it's harder to get your Ferrari in the top parking spot, partially because of the rise in interest of special classic cars, as well as the proliferation of exotic car models from Lamborghini, Bentley, Maserati, and even Tesla. According to Robert, a 30-year-veteran valet at Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek hotel in Dallas, the brand is no longer as exclusive as it once was. "You've parked five Ferraris, you've parked a hundred."

Here's what the guy who parks your car really thinks of your pride and joy.

Ferrari

"Ferrari guys are the only ones who say, 'Why did you put my car in the back?'" says top valet Bruno at West Hollywood's Ink restaurant. "Always Ferrari owners are cautious and overprotective—they ask me for their car to be in front. Ferraris are a dime a dozen here." However, Bruno adds that special models, such as the Enzos and F40s he has parked, do qualify as crowd-drawing exotics and usually get the front spot, regardless of the owner's demeanor that day.

Bentley

Most of the top restaurant valets assure us that any Bentley will be parked in the prized front spot, and it's likely because of the rapport the valets develop with the cars' owners. Robert at Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek tells PopMech that one of their valets has a Ph.D., and two have master's degrees, so they know how to carry on a conversation with a Bentley driver. "We also change a lot of flat tires and do other stuff, too, like wash cars. You name it, we've done it." Polling all of the valets, we found that these days they're just as likely to park a Bentley in the front spot as a Ferrari.

Lamborghini

If you ask valet managers Alfredo and Martin at top steak-and-seafood vendor Prime One Twelve in Miami, Lamborghinis are just part of the culture of Miami's top eateries. South Beach models, as well as resident sports superstars and movie stars, use Lamborghinis as their daily drivers here, turning every mundane trip into a scene.

Rolls-Royce

In Dallas they know their Rolls-Royces, according to Oak's valet: "We get one every weekend. Last week there was a 2009, nothing special, but it had suicide doors, and people got excited about it." To be fair, the Oak valet also said that the top parking spot doesn't depend on the brand of car, but more on the needs of regular customers, no matter what they drive. "If it's an elderly couple, I'll keep their car up front. One gentleman asked to park his '64 Rolls-Royce himself. I didn't drive it. Definitely people came by to look and said how nice it was."

Mercedes-Benz, Including the 1967 SL Roadster

One of Ink valet Bruno's favorite cars is a 1967 Mercedes-Benz SL, which he has driven and parked often in the top space for a regular customer. "A Ferrari guy was going to give me a 10 and then gave me a 20 to put his car where the 1967 SL convertible was parked," relates Bruno. "Only Ferrari guys do this." More modern Mercedes models regularly turn up in the top parking spots, many of the valets we interviewed say.

BMW

"Yeah, I do see a lot of high-end BMWs," says the valet at the Spoon Bar & Kitchen in Dallas. Top chef John Tesar draws seafoodies to this university neighborhood, which rarely gets the exotic-car crowd. Instead, his customers tend to prefer sensible BMWs over Lamborghinis. But not too sensible, he adds. "We don't get a lot of Camrys."

Porsche

The valets only occasionally counted Porsches as exotics, and then only the GT3 and higher models of the 911. That's not surprising, considering that the prices of early Boxsters are down to near $10,000, and new Boxsters can be rented on both coasts for about $350 a day--which puts the Porsche status club in reach of the unwashed masses. FT33 in Dallas, known for new American cuisine, still considers Porsches to be as "high-end as Range Rovers and Ferraris."

Cadillac DeVille

Parking is not usually a problem along the partially residential Oak Lawn Avenue in Dallas's trendy design district, where Oak restaurant features innovative meat dishes, outdoor dining, and 10 highly visible parking spots to show off customers' cars. "I had a lady come in with a Cadillac DeVille, nothing special, but she was sure happy with it, so I put it up front," recalls Oak's valet.

1969 Chevrolet Chevelle

The newest and most ostentatious cars typically gets top billing at West Hollywood's Ink, but Bruno once parked a customer's '69 Chevelle there for most of a night. "This is a part of history," says Bruno, who spent much of the night explaining the car to Ferrari and Lamborghini owners.

1966 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

Valet Franco of Red O in Los Angeles wears an embroidered guayabera and a straw hat when he parks cars at guests' requests, he says, "and we have a lot of guests who have Lamborghinis." But for 2 hours one evening he kept a 1966 Corvette convertible in the top spot. "It was surrounded by people. I couldn't find any blemish on the car—everything about it was perfect."

Honda Pilot

"Usually regulars come every day," says Rosewood Mansion valet Robert. "Some people really want to be parked up front, and we can't put a million-dollar car where it will be scratched, but we don't really need to show off. I just parked a Honda Pilot and a Bentley there a few minutes ago. If the Honda came in every day, we'd treat it the same as the Bentley."

Maserati

"Sometimes it's just any regular car, depending on space. There's been a Maserati up there; the guest wants them to be there," says a BellyQ bartender on W. Randolph Street just west of Chicago's Loop, a trendy, restaurant-packed strip that's often the place to be seen at on weekends, as well as after hours on workdays. Although Chicago's climate and Midwest culture has kept exotics away in the past, the booming economy and plethora of exotic-car dealers and exotic-car rental services make the city uniquely showy.

Maybach

"There is a special spot for our favorite customers, and usually it's taken by a Bentley, Bill Curtis's Bentley," reports the hostess at Valentino Santa Monica on busy Pico Boulevard. Curtis is the CEO of the Robb Report magazine, a chronicle of wealthy lifestyles. "But he also has a Maybach, which always gets parked in front."

Nissan Altima

"The Ferrari guys are always the most particular about where their car is parked and if it's going to be taken care of," says Bruno, top parker at Ink in West Hollywood. "And they don't tip that well. Guys in Nissan Altimas tip better to get their car up front."

Range Rover

In the eatery-crowded design district of Dallas, modern cuisine also seems to attract modern trucks and SUVs, notably Land Rover's Range Rover, according to one valet at FT33: "There are always high-end cars out there, Ferraris, Porsches, and Range Rovers, too." Remember, one-third of all Suburbans built are sold in Texas, where folks actually use their trucks, so the move to Range Rovers for status is a trend unlike that in the Northeast.

Shelby Mustang GT350

A 29-year-old woman brought a clean Shelby Mustang 350 to West Hollywood's Ink and paid $100 to replace the Ferrari 360 that was parked in the top spot in front of the restaurant on busy Melrose Avenue, valet Bruno says.

Tesla Model S

"What always gets looks is the new Tesla. It's different, and nobody really knows what it is. We're starting to get quite a few of those," says B.J., a valet at Fearing's Restaurant in Dallas who has parked a lot of exotics, especially on weekends, he adds.

Yahoo!
Advertisement
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
I thought this was going to be a dash cam video of a valet hooning in a high end car.

or even worse someone hooning in marshalls RS5

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Interesting what they think of some cars...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
never knew people would pay extra to have their cars parked up front to "show it off"
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #5

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts

First world... Problems?
Qmx323 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
bring a horse.. doesn't get more classic then that.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #7

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
bring a horse.. doesn't get more classic then that.
Spoilered, if you havnt watched the top gear christmas special. not really a huge item in it, but it does certainly spoil some of the fun.

Spoiler!

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #8
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
what's odd is that there are people with masters degrees and doctorates working as valets -_-

Last edited by StylinRed; 12-18-2013 at 09:58 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2013, 01:22 AM   #9
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
what's odd is that there are people withs masters degrees and doctorates working as valets -_-
What else are you suppose to do with an Arts degree when Starbucks isn't hiring?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:59 AM   #10

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Tldr version:

You want your car park up front. Be a regular, tip well and don't be an asshole

If you are an asshole drive a classic or an Enzo
Posted via RS Mobile
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

interesting read, but ya, I was expecting something funny haha
Old 12-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Who gives a fuck what the valet says about your car? Just park it bitch!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #13
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Honda Pilot

"Usually regulars come every day," says Rosewood Mansion valet Robert. "Some people really want to be parked up front, and we can't put a million-dollar car where it will be scratched, but we don't really need to show off. I just parked a Honda Pilot and a Bentley there a few minutes ago. If the Honda came in every day, we'd treat it the same as the Bentley."
i thought that was a pretty cool perspective

those ferrari owners eh?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,171 Times in 2,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
never knew people would pay extra to have their cars parked up front to "show it off"
Posted via RS Mobile
+1, I can't even begin to imagine what it's like inside the mind of somebody who is that self-absorbed and narcissistic.

I imagine it would be something somebody like Jason00S2000 would try to pull if he had a Ferrari.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #15

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
What else are you suppose to do with an Arts degree when Starbucks isn't hiring?
I would guess that these valets at high end restaurants makes a decent living.
It's like servers at very high end restaurants... They can usually pull in 80-90k a year with tips.
Sure beats starbucks haha
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #16

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
^ that..

People underestimate the income of valets. I used to work as one and most nights my wage + tips would nearly triple the amount my supervisors wage. I knew guys that were 45+ years old that were still doing it they started when they were 20.

When i worked i would usually bring all the cars down and then when it slowed down i would pick and choose the ones that were nicest or simply the ones that i always wanted to drive and bring them up on the driveway. I would also pick and choose cars to park on the driveway based on the customers attitude when i first park their car. If your snobby and decide to throw your keys at me, i will make you wait 15 minutes for your car to be brought up. If your nice and tip me on the way in and out… then your car will be on the driveway with two cold bottles of water in the cup holders waiting for you.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #17
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
^guess ill have to wait 15 mins than
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #18
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
lol at the PhDs and Masters.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #19

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
lol at the PhDs and Masters.
Why would you lol at them? Because they studied what they wanted to? Have a profession in their desired field?
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #20

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
Why would you lol at them? Because they studied what they wanted to? Have a profession in their desired field?
i think the lol is because they studies what they wanted to an got into something totally unrelated to all the time and money they spent studying. Something that doesn't require any formal education

Could be totally wrong but there might be a phd and doctor degree in valet service
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #21
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,151 Times in 7,150 Posts
The funniest have been valets parking my gti and corrado at hotels.
"uh sir, your car can't make it into the parking lot."
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #22
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,818 Times in 3,901 Posts
tl;dr

wealthy snobs buying sports car as a status symbol rather than something they'll genuinely enjoy.

+1 for parking a Tesla front and center though
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #23
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
you have to pay to play
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #24
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
Considering that most of the people that own exotics are just wealthy attention whores who know nothing about cars, it doesn't surprise me.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #25

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
^ tell me about it…some douche tried to convince me that his stock cayman had 500hp.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: