REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 12-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Building a home theater :)

So, I'll document this for y'all as we go along... the new house has a great basement space for a man cave, and my plan is to turn the end wall into a massive projector screen.

The wall itself is 144" x 75", which is pretty close to 16:9 already, although usable height is limited to 67.5" by a baseboard heater... still, I figure 67.5" at 16:9 gives me a 120" width, or 138" diagonal. I adjusted the temporary cheap projector to fully fit the height of the wall area just to demo (the wife was watching X-Factor)...

I'll be painting the wall for a screen (found a great article here) and probably doing a slate gray for the rest of the room. The overhead light will come down and be replaced with an outlet for the projector. I have a Panasonic HTIB system that will get wired in at some point as well.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Nice. I'm building one as well. for your screen your eye level should be aprox 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the screen.

Check out this vancouver HT that was theater of the month on AVS forum. The room is only 10x10 feet.

HT of the Month: Theater for Hobbits
Old 12-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
I don't really get that home theatre of the month. He spent more on his wall treatments than his entire sound system by a big margin... it just seems that audio is so ignored in most theatre builds. Admittedly I am more of a 2 channel audio enthusiast than home theatre so I am biased, but I am always surprised at the spending up for a better projector over better audio when (in my opinion) the differences are bigger for an extra spend over what is practically a HTIB vs a dedicated system.

Mark

Last edited by lowside67; 12-19-2013 at 11:38 AM.
lowside67 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
I don't really get that home theatre of the month. He spent more on his wall treatments than his entire sound system by a big margin... it just seems that audio is so ignored in most theatre builds. Admittedly I am more of a 2 channel audio enthusiast than home theatre so I am biased, but I am always surprised at the spending up for a better projector over better audio when (in my opinion) the differences are bigger for an extra spend over what is practically a HTIB vs a dedicated system.

Mark
WAF. it's got to look good for the misses.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
that ht of the month looks pretty, really nice work wish i had the time for that i've got the perfect space for it too :/

with a closet behind the screen im surprised he didn't attempt turning the whole closet into a subwoofer (seen some diy's do that)

Soundy are you planning on going all out with the room? should be a fun project keep us updated
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
I built one in my home... its now disassembled however. Soundproofed the room as well. It was fun while it lasted. I could still set it up again, I have been meaning to for a few months now but it's been working great as a secondary storage room for the last couple years

It was purely built to seat one, I had one armchair in there. All the speakers were positioned to that seat. It was beautiful. This makes me want to do it all over again. Will post pics if I get around to it sometime soonish. Looking to pick up some more bookshelf speakers this boxing day.

Good luck with the build! It gets expensive but every little bit is worth it.

BTW I think someone mentioned it before me, but buy everything independently (doesn't have to be same brand) to your liking. MAKE SURE you impedance match for maximum power transfer to the speakers to get the most out of your amp(s). HTIB is good to start off with, until you realize you want more.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
RS Licensed Vendor

Can't wait to see it completed!
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Soundy are you planning on going all out with the room? should be a fun project keep us updated
Eventually, maybe... for now it's all on the Extreme Budget Plan - donated projector, older HTIB that's been sitting unused for over a year, $100 painted-wall-screen project (per previous link).... might look for something in some dark curtains for the walls to deaden the sound a little, it'll be kinda echo-y in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote