REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #26
Need to Seek Professional Help

Acura need a RWD badly...
Advertisement
95 AE101L -sold-
GotRice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotRice? View Post
Wont happen, to many changes needed to production to do that and would drive up costs to much.

Acura=overprices/re-badged Honda products.

I love my TL but they are really no different than an Accord.
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #28
My homepage has been set to RS

^ yep, i have had 5 acuras since i started driving, even though toyota does the same with lexus, lexus have a totally different feel than toyota.

either way, next time i will simply buy honda or spend the $ to buy lexus.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #29
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
Wont happen, to many changes needed to production to do that and would drive up costs to much.

I don't quite agree with overpriced part. From business perspective, nothing is overpriced when people are willing to pay for it. In fact, Acura is quite popular brand.
Lincoln and Cadillac are rebadged Ford and Chevy anyways.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
I don't quite agree with overpriced part. From business perspective, nothing is overpriced when people are willing to pay for it. In fact, Acura is quite popular brand.
Lincoln and Cadillac are rebadged Ford and Chevy anyways.

Overpriced.
When I buy an Altrom part that IS labeled with the manufacturers part number and label (clearly stating OE Honda part) and its 1/8th the price of the same part from Honda....yeah that's overpriced.

Willingness to pay has nothing to do with being overpriced....look at Apple products. People pay for status....that's all the Acura line is, it means you make more money so you don't drive a Honda.

When a power steering pressure line O ring is $7.99 from Honda, $17.89 from Acura and .37 cents from Altrom yet comes labeled as a Honda part from all three places, is the same part number then pricing is artificially inflated and therefore overpriced.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #31
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Timpo logic.
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:22 AM   #32
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Bring a revised 3rd Gen design pl0x
Old 12-28-2013, 03:30 AM   #33
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotRice? View Post
the tl comes in rwd

Quote:

the current gen tl>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>accord
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
the tl comes in rwd

the current gen tl>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>accord
FWD biased AWD is crap and would not constitute it being RWD.

As for the TL being better, It has ALWAYS been better than the Accord. Better interior, more luxurious, more sporty and IMO looks much better but under the skin its simply an Accord without the fat suite.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #35
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
^ the TSX is a accord with a fat suit if anything. Both have the same drive train and engine platforms and even body size is the same.

The 4G TL is a whole different car….
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #36

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
the 2g and 3g TL's were slightly re-worked versions of the accord. 4g TL's are totally different.

Quote:

As for the TL being better, It has ALWAYS been better than the Accord. Better interior, more luxurious, more sporty and IMO looks much better but under the skin its simply an Accord without the fat suite.
yeah it might be fwd biased but out of all the other fwd biased systems, hondas has to be the best. sh-awd is actually a pretty good system. obviously not on par with the germans but its still pretty good.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:46 AM   #37

Thanked 9,820 Times in 3,902 Posts
probably won't sell well but Acura should revive the big fat coupes...aka 2 door TL/RL

twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2013, 03:58 AM   #38
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
oh, no! i thought the base tl was rwd my mistake
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #39
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
If you look at the pricing history of these rebadged Hondas, you'll see that (at least with Canadian and US prices) Acura's prices practically match those of their Japanese Honda counterparts.

Let's take a look at the pricing of Acura's only current model that has a JDM counterpart - TSX. The price of an A-spec TSX is about $38,000, and the equivalent and now discontinued Accord Type S sold for about ¥3,600,000. If anything, the TSX is underpriced!

Prices of parts and service are a different matter. There is no doubt that Acura charges "premium" prices for these that are at least 15% greater than Honda's prices, which is why I take my CSX to Honda for service.
ScratchedMy991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchedMy991 View Post
If you look at the pricing history of these rebadged Hondas, you'll see that (at least with Canadian and US prices) Acura's prices practically match those of their Japanese Honda counterparts.

Let's take a look at the pricing of Acura's only current model that has a JDM counterpart - TSX. The price of an A-spec TSX is about $38,000, and the equivalent and now discontinued Accord Type S sold for about ¥3,600,000. If anything, the TSX is underpriced!

Prices of parts and service are a different matter. There is no doubt that Acura charges "premium" prices for these that are at least 15% greater than Honda's prices, which is why I take my CSX to Honda for service.
Not interested in the JDM counterpart.......seeing as we live in Canada.

Also, that "equivalent" price you are quoting depends on the days exchange rate and takes into 0 account of the import and shipping costs to bring that car over. Once you factor those into your statement you will see a vast difference.

However, this means nothing. When you compare an Accord HERE and a TL/TSX HERE you will see a large price difference in the car, the parts and the service despite being almost the same cars.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #41
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchedMy991 View Post

I have a 2012 TSX, are you saying that I can take it to Honda for services too? Because that can probably save me a lot of money.
Posted via RS Mobile
Louhasnocash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #42
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:

Also, that "equivalent" price you are quoting depends on the days exchange rate and takes into 0 account of the import and shipping costs to bring that car over. Once you factor those into your statement you will see a vast difference.

However, this means nothing. When you compare an Accord HERE and a TL/TSX HERE you will see a large price difference in the car, the parts and the service despite being almost the same cars.
The TL is a much better car than the Accord, and that comes with huge price gap too.

The TSX looks like a rip off compared to the Accord. But if you option an 2014 Accord with the EX-L trim, which brings the leather seats, memory seats, and other bells and whistles, The price goes up to around $33,000. Now if you get the TSX now, the base model, which is the premium as Acura calls it, it has basically the same things an EX-L Accord would give you. (Except back-up camera and lane departure camera), it would cost you around $34,000 furthermore, Acura is having huge discounts on the TSX because they are clearing their stock. So if you do not mind paying for premium gas the TSX is a better deal as of right now. They have 16 more hp from the same engine the Accord has, and they are made in Japan.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #43

Quote:

I made the price comparison with Japanese models to state a simple point: Acura prices here for the same models were (and still are, in the case of the TSX) the same as their JDM counterparts. There was practically no markup, (even when exchange rates were taken into account) which is what I thought you meant by "overpriced".

As it seems that by "overpriced" you meant "less value for money", then I agree with your TSX - Accord comparison; I also believe that the TSX offers less value for money than the Accord. But this is an unfair comparison, as you are comparing a brand new car to one that is five years old and soon to be discontinued. The general idea of newer models is that they offer more of everything for the same price or less.

The TSX aside, Acura's current model lineup is completely DIFFERENT than Honda's and offers noticeable upgrades in luxury and standard equipment. I think that mostly, the greater retail prices that Acura models command are justified.

Last edited by ScratchedMy991; 12-30-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #44

A better comparison would be the maintenance and parts costs for the cars.
Seeing as they use the same engine/tranny combos yet Acura prices are 2-3 times the Honda prices FOR THE SAME PART.
And by the same part, I mean, the EXACT SAME, down to the part number. Artificial inflation,
Old 12-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #45

Thanked 9,820 Times in 3,902 Posts
Quote:

you missed his point

he didn't say to import an JDM Accord (not that you can anyways)
He's simply comparing apples to apples...Acura TSX is a rebadged JDM Accord...therefore purely comparing the prices is fair to counter your overpriced argument despite being in different markets.

AFAIK the Accord sold in US/Canada and TL/TSX isn't based the same platform

regarding parts it's assumed there will be premium given it's Honda's luxury marque...Lexus and Infiniti does the same thing, no?
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #46

^ That.

...and no one's arguing that parts/service for Acuras is overpriced.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
you missed his point

he didn't say to import an JDM Accord (not that you can anyways)
He's simply comparing apples to apples...Acura TSX is a rebadged JDM Accord...therefore purely comparing the prices is fair to counter your overpriced argument despite being in different markets.

AFAIK the Accord sold in US/Canada and TL/TSX isn't based the same platform

regarding parts it's assumed there will be premium given it's Honda's luxury marque...Lexus and Infiniti does the same thing, no?

Ok, Got cha!

As for parts, No Toyota parts prices are the same weather used in a Lexus or Toyota (only know because I work for Toyota).
As for Honda/Acura they artistically inflate the prices and the kicker is many of the OEM parts are provided through Altrom and are dirt cheap compared to both Honda and Acura prices.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #48

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
somebody should do this to TLX

skip to 1:47 to see VIP cars in action

Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:48 PM   #49
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

omg, that's so much scraping on the pavement
lemon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #50
I am Hook'd on RS

Our roads are not as good as the ones in Japan.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by: