REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
BMW and the Evolution of ///M

With the new M3 and M4 coming out soon next year, I came across this article, and thought it was quite interesting in the evolution of M engines...

And the writer best describes the M history as... "everything BMW M starts and ends with the straight-six."

Quote:
With the all-new BMW M3 and M4 coupe, we thought it was a good time to take a look back at the origins of the Ultimate Driving Machine’s performance division, and how we ended up with hot-rod-SUVs like the X5 M. Some have criticized the move from a naturally aspirated V8 to a turbocharged inline-6 in the new M3 and M4, but as you’ll learn here, everything BMW M starts and ends with the straight-six.

The division that we know today as BMW M was formed in 1972 to take on racing projects. Their first creation was the 3.0CSL “Batmobile” (one of this writer’s favorite cars of all time). As the name suggests, that car was powered by a 3.0-liter inline-6, though technically the engine was bored out to as much as 3.5-liters in later models, making as much as 430 horsepower.

BMW 3.0CSL

But the first car to wear the M badge was the fantastical M1. It used the venerable M88/1 engine, which displaced 3.5 liters and produced 272 horsepower at the start. With turbocharging for Group 5 Racing, this engine could make as much as 900 horsepower.

The 1978 M1 debuted at the Paris Motor Show, and was essentially a homologation special (meaning that a certain amount of road cars need to be built before it can compete in certain racing classes). Lamborghini was originally supposed to build the M1, but when the Italian supercar maker was on shaky financial ground, BMW brought assembly back in-house.

BMW M1 Procar

Even after the production issues, world sportscar racing rules changed, making the M1 obsolete from an international motorsport standpoint, and in 1979 BMW Motorsport assembled its own racing series called the BMW M1 Procar Championship. It ran for two seasons.

The M1 was basically a race car for the road, but the division decided its potent race engine would be far more marketable in its road cars. Enter the 1980 BMW M535i. BMW M took the E12 generation of the 5 Series and fitted it with a version of the amazing M88/1 engine for European markets. (Note: We will be jumping between Euro-spec and U.S.-spec cars, which have different outputs and different debut years. Please bear with us.)

BMW M535i

In 1983, BMW unveiled a replacement for the 3.0CS coupe– the 6 Series. With it came an M variant as well, dubbed the M635CSi (and we bitch about BMW naming conventions today!). Thankfully in the US, it was named the M6. It had a top speed limited to 155 mph and featured awesome BBS wheels, aggressive front body work and larger front brakes.

BMW M6

For 1985, the M535 would get an update and a name change– to the much cleaner M5. European versions would get a 3.5-liter inline-6 that made 282 hp in European and South African markets, but the US required the addition of a catalytic converter, knocking output down to 256 hp for the American M5.

BMW M5

That same year, BMW M turned its attention toward the E30 3 Series, thus creating the M3. It was the first M car to come with an inline-4, making 197 horsepower (192 with a catalytic converter). The race engine could make as much as 250 horsepower.

BMW M3 Side by Side

In 1989, BMW M would debut a new M5. It featured a 3.6-liter inline-6 making 311 horsepower (307 hp in the US). In 1992, displacement would grow to 3.8-liters for European models, making 335 horsepower. Due to emission laws, the engine did not grow that year. 1992 also saw the introduction of the M5 Touring– a five-door wagon that is a holy grail amongst enthusiasts.

E34 BMW M5 Touring

1992 was also the year that BMW replaced its M3. The E36 generation of the M3 is another one of those most-sought after cars by the enthusiast community. For this generation, the engine grew to an inline-6, but at 3-liters, it was still smaller than the rest of the M powerplants.

BMW M3 E36

It was around this time that BMW debuted the 8 Series halo car. Internally, the folks at M created a performance variant of the V12-powered 8 Series, which they called the M8. It’s V12 made a rumored 550 horsepower. A production model was given the green light, but the name changed to 850CSi and output dropped to a mortal 375 hp.

BMW 8 Series

The year 1992 really was a good one for BMW M. The performance division was tapped by McLaren to build the amazing 6.1-liter V12 engine that would sit behind the driver in the spectacular F1. The McLaren F1 is considered by many to be one of the greatest sportscars of all time, and that’s in large part to the BMW M-sourced powertrain.

Many think that the F1 engine was a bored out version of the M8 engine, but F1 creator Gordon Murray though it was too long and too heavy for McLaren’s performance goals. According to some sources, the F1′s engine actually bears a closer resemblance to the 3.0-liter inline 6 from the 1992-1995 European M3– combining two I6 banks to make a V12

BMW McLaren Engine

In 1998 a new model joined the M lineup. The Z3 had been around since the 1996 model year but for ’98, M put a host of M3 mechanicals under the hood, including the 3.2-liter inline-6 (making 321 hp in Europe and 240 hp in the States), brakes and suspension. The fenders featured a larger flare to accommodate wider performance tires. Thus, the Z3 M Roadster was created.

BMW Z4 M Roadster

That same year, BMW offered a hardtop shooting brake and, like the M5 Wagon, the Z3 M Coupe (below) is among the most coveted of the M cars. The Z3 M Coupe and roadster also bring up the subject of M cars versus M-badged cars. To what I’m about to explain, the Z3 M Coupe and Roadster are an exception…

BMW Z3 M Coupe

An official M vehicle has the M# formula (M1, M3, M5, M6), and then there are vehicles that have M packages, like a 535 M-Sport or 335 M-Sport. These vehicles have M-performance upgrades but are not full M vehicles. As stated before the Z3 M variants are the outliers to this rule, as is the 1 Series M Coupe (not to be confused with the M1), which we’ll talk about a little later.

The first M5 to sport a V8 came for the 2000 model year. The S62 4.9-liter V8 made 394 horsepower and could propel the M5 from zero to 60 in just four seconds, on its was to an electronically limited top speed of 155 mph. Many contend that with the electronic governors off, the 1998-2003 M5 could top out at 186 mph.

BMW M5 V8

In 2000 BMW replaced the M3. Back in 1995, the engine grew to 3.2-liters and for the 2001 model year, BMW continued that size, but power was now 338 horsepower for Euro models. The drop off in performance in US models was not as great anymore, as the US-spec model made 333 horsepower.

E46 BMW M3

There were several highly coveted special editions of this model, including the CS and CSL models. They are low in numbers and fetch top dollar to this day. The E46 M3 ran until 2007.

While the engine size on the M3 was kept the same, the engine of the 2005 M5 went into semi-bonkers territory. The 5.0-liter V10 found under the curving hood of the new M5 was derived from BMW’s previous Formula 1 involvement and put out 500 horsepower. The car was a monster and engine won multiple awards, including multiple International Engine of the Year awards.

BMW M5 V10

The 3 Series must have felt pretty inadequate compared to the V10-powered M5, because for 2008, the E90 M3 revealed the potent S65 V8 engine under the “power dome” hood. Displacing 4.0 liters, it is essentially the M5’s V10, less two cylinders. It made 414 horsepower, but by the end of its generation, it was making 444 horses.

PHOTOS: See More of the 2008 BMW M3

As you might believe, things were starting to get a little nuts over at M, and BMW opted to created a performance SUV to take on the likes of the Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG, and Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. The result was the creation of the X5 M and X6 M. Both featured a 4.4-liter twin-turbo V8 making 555 horsepower. It also features xDrive all-wheel drive, with torque vectoring, which puts more power to the outside wheels of a turn.

How the heck else are you supposed to move that much weight around a track!

BMW X5 M

Thankfully, after M went off the deep end, they got back to their senses and for the 2011 model year, turned to making small cars go really, really fast. BMW Motorsport took a standard 1 Series coupe, and fitted it with the re-tuned version of the N54 inline-6 found in the Z4 sDrive35is. It makes 335 horsepower and 370 pound feet of torque. It can get from zero to sixty in 4.5 seconds and is generally regarded as a track monster. It is arguably the best and most pure performance car that M has built in the last decade.

BMW 1M Coupe

The 1 M Coupe only ran for one year, also making it yet ANOTHER one of the most sought after M cars.

So here we are, in a modern era where the M5 is back to a V8, albeit with turbo charging. The M6 is also back too and running this new twin-power turbo V8. These cars (like the 850CSi before it). The M5 and M6 are as upscale as they are potent, and are prohibitively expensive. The only option for the average gearhead to aspire to are the M3 and M4, for now. Rumor is, we’ll be getting M versions of the updated 1 Series and forthcoming 2 Series– a compact performance coupe.

BMW M4

And it looks like the 2014 M3 and M4 will run 3.0-liter inline-6 cylinder engines. You might want the insane engines of the mid-2000s, but the straight six is where BMW’s roots are at. I, for one, am extremely excited to get back behind the wheel of a six-cylinder M3, and the linear feel of that engine’s pull is something that has been missing from the BMW lineup. We’re glad to have it back.

Yahoo!

2015 M4, 0-60 in 3.9 blistering seconds.
Advertisement
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2013, 02:41 AM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Placid View Post
2015 M4, 0-60 in 3.9 blistering seconds.
Sorry but 3.9 seconds might have been impressive back in 80s and 90s but nowadays, I don't know. Even Mustang and Camaro are faster than that. (GT500 and ZL1 that is)
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-24-2013, 02:56 AM   #3
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
timpo go write an article abt the history of the gt-r! quick!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Sorry but 3.9 seconds might have been impressive back in 80s and 90s but nowadays, I don't know. Even Mustang and Camaro are faster than that. (GT500 and ZL1 that is)
Gtr does 0-600mph in 1.3 seconds.
Posted via RS Mobile
supremematt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
I like how just because it's Timpo posting it you can all ignore what he's trying to put across.

He's 100% correct with his statement.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Kind of irrelevant tho, dont you think?

Hes comparing an M car which is susposed to be balanced to two american muscle cars which are focused on drag strips. Obviously a big american supercharged V8 will be faster than a small turbo straight six.

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #7

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts

I my M3.

I will never sell it, in 20 years shit's going to be bad as #&$^ when I pull into car shows. People gonna be myrin' hard.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #8

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
Kind of irrelevant tho, dont you think?

Hes comparing an M car which is susposed to be balanced to two american muscle cars which are focused on drag strips. Obviously a big american supercharged V8 will be faster than a small turbo straight six.
Not true, Mustang GT500 and Camaro Z28 can run Nurburgring in less than 7:40(7:37 or so).

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/30/s...urgring-video/

Last edited by Timpo; 12-24-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

i gotta agree with timpo on this one, shockingly

cars these days cant really survive on the sole point of being fast in a straight line anymore, with all the competition these days, performance cars gotta be able to be competent around corners as well or else people will just buy another car since theres so much to choose from
Mr.Stubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Unfortunately the m brand has been so watered down so much that the m doesn't mean the same thing 10yrs ago. Sure the new m5/6 are amazingly fast and comfortable, but that previous m edginess is gone. They are very boring to drive now and not that special. BMW should launch a csl model similar to blk series to amg
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
^ Maybe it has to do with trying to appeal to a broader range of people such as trying to get performance but at the same time having something a bit practical or comfortable to drive? I agree with you but I'm gonna go on a pretty good hunch that a lot of people who buy these cars now use them as daily drivers.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #12

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
I my M3.

I will never sell it, in 20 years shit's going to be bad as #&$^ when I pull into car shows. People gonna be myrin' hard.
Unless yours is a CSL, enthusiasts rarely consider E46 M3 as a collectable item in North America.
just like the GTR and R34, people bow down to E30 M3 and E36 M3 Euros
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Rumor is, we’ll be getting M versions of the updated 1 Series and forthcoming 2 Series– a compact performance coupe.
Well this sounds promising and hopefully excellent
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #14
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,149 Times in 7,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyx View Post
^ Maybe it has to do with trying to appeal to a broader range of people such as trying to get performance but at the same time having something a bit practical or comfortable to drive? I agree with you but I'm gonna go on a pretty good hunch that a lot of people who buy these cars now use them as daily drivers.
The point of the original M3/M5/M6 was intended to be a daily driver as well though. A balance of raw and functional. BMW M division even all the way up to the e46/e39s was staying true to that plan. That was what the M cars were built around. Take your car to the track and bag the shit out of it in the morning, carve some canyons back to your house and pick up your wife and 3 year old to take out for a nice cruise out of the city. Now its become a marketing tool. Its not really about being a raw car any more, its just about being a really fast car, but thats also the way of most sports car makers. Lap times and hp numbers make more money than driving feel, because the majority of people that call themselves "car enthusiasts" are just "looking like a car enthusiast" enthusiasts. Don't get me wrong, I still believe certain cars in the M line up hold true, but as soon as they put an M on the back of that abortion they call the X6M and in an X5, it lost its meaning a lot.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
Unless yours is a CSL, enthusiasts rarely consider E46 M3 as a collectable item in North America.
just like the GTR and R34, people bow down to E30 M3 and E36 M3 Euros
i dunno man, even if it isnt a csl, the e46 is still a good m3 and personally i think its the best looking and the design is gonna age pretty well imo.
Mr.Stubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #16
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Stubbz View Post
i dunno man, even if it isnt a csl, the e46 is still a good m3 and personally i think its the best looking and the design is gonna age pretty well imo.
The E46 M3 was also the last M3 that could be serviced in one's garage.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #17
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
I miss my car , fuck.

Summer come faster.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #18

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
If you don't know why M cars are special, it's because you probably haven't driven one
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #19
The Speed Syndicate

Thanked 3,077 Times in 522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
If you don't know why M cars are special, it's because you probably haven't driven one
i miss my e46 m3 at times too

truly a car that leaves an impression that you can never forget

TSS x Revscene Track Day Organizer

1991 Formula Red NSX - 3.2L ITB
kchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #20
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
M cars are totally overrated. They are the worst. Please don't buy them. Ever.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #21
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Nice read to start of my Christmas
Posted via RS Mobile
BBMme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #22
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Imo, the e46 and e39 m cars were the pinnacle of the m division considering their direct competition in their respective eras. 333 and 400hp was big time in the day
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #23

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
^ Especially when considering the E46 M3 CSL which had 360hp & 3000lbs put it alongside cars like 996 GT3, Ferrari 360 CS and Honda NSX-R, truly amazing performance at the time in relation to it's rivals. I'd say that was the pinnacle of traditional M power.

Personally I like the short period when M went a little bonkers with the F1 technology transfer to road car, namely the V10 M5/M6 and the V8 M3. 507hp and top speed of 340km/h was big numbers when F430 had only 495hp and couldn't break 200mphs, the Gallardo which had a 5.0L V10 at the time only made 490hp and wouldn't able to match it in a top speed sprint.

The M3 GTS was the highest point in that respect. Just because it got heavier didn't mean it was less raw and pure contrary to what many people like to suggest. 3200lb and 450hp from a V8 that rev to 8400rpm is maddening and addictive.

I agree though, M really ended it for me when they went full turbos and awd. The X5M/X6M was the beginning of the end, although I do respect them after experiencing first hand how capable they are, and in many real life situation would demolish many older M cars...

Last edited by JoshuaWong; 12-25-2013 at 03:12 PM.
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #24

Most unreliable pieces of shit ever. dont buy an M3
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #25
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,149 Times in 7,150 Posts
You either
A) bought a fucked car
B) can't turn a wrench
C) both
D) got raped by your mechanic
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: