REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 12-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
Questions about buying Telus PVR Receiver

I was planning on buying the Telus PVR Receiver (CIS430500) to replace my Optik HD Box (CIS330).

My 1 year contract only gave me a HD box rental.
I have 2 TV's so I paid an extra $5/mo to get a 2nd HD box rental.

But I want to buy the PVR Receiver and replace it with one of my HD box.
And hopefully, I can return of of the HD box to save $5 a month.

I have a few questions:

1) Can I just use the PVR Receiver to completely replace my current HD Box, or do I need them both to get my channels + PVR? (And is swapping the units as simple as connecting the cables the same way, or is there re-programming required?)

2) Not sure if I can return the 2nd rental box mid-contract (but it wasn't part of the original contract, I requested to add on a 2nd HD box afterward, cause I bought a 2nd TV later on). I'll probably have to call Telus rep sales for this, but would be nice if someone with experience had the answer off the top of their head.

3) This is my first time using Telus, so I'm pretty noob. So if I buy this PVR Receiver, its mine forever. But if I renew my contract later on, which they usually offer free PVR Receiver rental anyway... then what's the point of me buying my own??
Advertisement
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 12-24-2013 at 10:04 AM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

1) you just need the pvr receiver, the one you listed is already a HD PVR
2) im not sure, u would have call the rep
3) free rental for how many months..? you will have to do your math and see which option you will save money
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
3) I mean for a 3 year contract, I think the PVR Receiver is included as free rental for the duration of the entire contract.

I'm currently on a 1 year contract. I didn't bother locking myself in for 3 years cause I wanted to test out how good Telus was first.
So far, no problems. There's a good chance I'll renew with a 3 year contract next time.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

if you like telus then renew your contract. All they want is you to continue to use telus by promoting the pvr.
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
The Telus PVR is coming on sale at London Drugs for $50 on boxing Day. $40 for just the receiver.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

On a three year term you get a free pvr and 2x330 boxes, it is possible if you didn't receive a promotion when you first signed up that you may also be able to get the free tv. If you purchase a pvr at London drugs they will still send a tech to do the swap, there may be a charge involved as well. You may be able to talk them into giving you the new registration number over the phone though, then you would need to send the 330 back through canada post.
silva95teg is offline   Reply With Quote