REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 12-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Ultrabook

I'm interested in a new ultrabook. Can't seem to find the thread where these were discussed. The Asus UX301 looks nice, pricey, but nice. Any ideas or recommendations?
Advertisement
Old 12-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Depends on what kind of stuff you are gonna be doing on it and what aspects of a laptop you value more than others... (dedicated video card, battery life, backlite keys, etc)

For my needs, Acer S7 is pretty good.
Mining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I'd use it for school. I value battery life, a backlit keyboard, a retina screen would be nice. 13.3" max.
Posted via RS Mobile
Kilinim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
Asus ZENBOOK Prime UX31A-DH71-CB w/ Core i7-3517U, 4GB, 256GB SSD, 13.3in FHD, Win 8 at Memory Express
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
MacBook air the 13inch model is pretty nice. Have good battery life looks decent and pretty light.

Not to mention you also the pages, numbers, keynotes iPhoto for free (is the office for Mac).
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

zenbook all the way!
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I'm also looking for an ultrabook, I'm leaning towards the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. It has a high-res screen, it can come with an i5 or i7 processor and more importantly for me, I can buy one with 8gb ram.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

^ good choice also
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
I used to be a PC guy until my boss gave me an iMac and MacBook last year.

If you do a lot of presentation, video editing, a Mac is what you want. Although the build-in software in OSX is not always perfect, you can always find better software in app store. It takes time to learn everything again, but once you master it, you won't go back to PC
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts

Damn, that's a good deal.

I guess they have to knock the price down when the Infinity just came out.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,032 Times in 548 Posts
I got my Zenbook at the end of August also from Memory Express

mine was
Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A-DH71T-CA ZENBOOK Touch
Core i7-3517U,
4GB DDR3,
256GB SSD,
13.3in FHD Touch,
Win 8 64-bit

For 999.99 (was listed for 1099.00, but since they shipped me one with a cracked screen, and almost 3 weeks wait time due to out of stock/school starting/going back to the richmond location 5 times and endless annoying Asian haggeling, the manager gave me $100 store credit + 2 yrs replacement warranty) So basically got it for 999.99 + tax

Some thoughts after 3 month, it definitely has the "cool" factor. Everywhere I go, I get stares or my friends commenting how thin the laptop is... or how "baller" it looks, if that is your thing....

The battery life is fine, I get 6 hours+ out of it daily. That is with about 30% brightness, no back lit keyboard, blue tooth mouse and 3.5mm headphones. I youtube, revscene, light room, photoshop, illustrator. That is basically it, well, if I am not on youtube my music is playing to give a pretty good idea. I never bring the charger out with me anymore. 6 hours is plenty.

I never ran games on it, the lack of a dedicated graphics card concerns me, lol and plus I have a desktop for that. I never tried so cant comment.

Even though I have always been a Asus fanboy-ish when it came to laptops, I have to say I am impressed with this one not having the all to common asus laptop overheating issue.

All in all, when I was shopping for a laptop, I needed the portability and decent battery life. The stuff i do is not super intensive, mostly just 13 megapixle pictures from my DSLR into light room or photoshop. And the zenbook does everything I needed it to do.

I am pretty impressed with it. Let me know if you have any other questions that I haven't answered.

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post
I got my Zenbook at the end of August also from Memory Express

mine was
Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A-DH71T-CA ZENBOOK Touch
Core i7-3517U,
4GB DDR3,
256GB SSD,
13.3in FHD Touch,
Win 8 64-bit

For 999.99 (was listed for 1099.00, but since they shipped me one with a cracked screen, and almost 3 weeks wait time due to out of stock/school starting/going back to the richmond location 5 times and endless annoying Asian haggeling, the manager gave me $100 store credit + 2 yrs replacement warranty) So basically got it for 999.99 + tax

Some thoughts after 3 month, it definitely has the "cool" factor. Everywhere I go, I get stares or my friends commenting how thin the laptop is... or how "baller" it looks, if that is your thing....

The battery life is fine, I get 6 hours+ out of it daily. That is with about 30% brightness, no back lit keyboard, blue tooth mouse and 3.5mm headphones. I youtube, revscene, light room, photoshop, illustrator. That is basically it, well, if I am not on youtube my music is playing to give a pretty good idea. I never bring the charger out with me anymore. 6 hours is plenty.

I never ran games on it, the lack of a dedicated graphics card concerns me, lol and plus I have a desktop for that. I never tried so cant comment.

Even though I have always been a Asus fanboy-ish when it came to laptops, I have to say I am impressed with this one not having the all to common asus laptop overheating issue.

All in all, when I was shopping for a laptop, I needed the portability and decent battery life. The stuff i do is not super intensive, mostly just 13 megapixle pictures from my DSLR into light room or photoshop. And the zenbook does everything I needed it to do.

I am pretty impressed with it. Let me know if you have any other questions that I haven't answered.
how often did you utilize the touch screen?
Old 12-27-2013, 12:41 AM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2K View Post
I'm also looking for an ultrabook, I'm leaning towards the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. It has a high-res screen, it can come with an i5 or i7 processor and more importantly for me, I can buy one with 8gb ram.
You don't want that computer.. The display is messed up and can't display yellow properly.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #14
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
T440s. Just got mine. Previously owned a Zenbook, X1 Carbon, and a T410s.

Can't complain much about any of my previous laptops as I reasearch this stuff quite highly before I buy.

I just love the thinkpad lines stealth looks. People look twice and seem to think I am using some old computer until they start to notice the small size, fingerprint reader, touchscreen, etc.

Also the build quality of the thinkpads I have had are far superior to many of the other laptops I have tried and used.

I really wish Lenovo would have just updated the X1, but I gave up waiting and just received my T440s.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #15
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
I bought the samsung series 5 ultrabook earlier this year and am very happy. Was comparing it to the Zenbook but the extra money did not give any value to my needs.

NP540U3C - OVERVIEW | SAMSUNG

my key items when shopping:
- fat shift key. All keyboards in Canada have the smaller shift key to accommodate the bilingual keyboard, so I had to buy my hardware from the states.
- light weight
- 6+ hours of battery life (I mainly use for excel, word , web, occasional flash games)
- "big" touch pad

I'm happy to say after 9mo's of usage, I'm very happy with it.

It also has a touch screen but have never used it. In fact, I have turned it off.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #16

Ended up buying the zenbook lilaznsniper posted from memoryexpress. woke up late at like 8:30am when the store opened at 8. Thought I'd drive by and see how long line ups were and got there at 8:45. Lined up (outside line was short, but cashier line was long) a total of maybe 20 minutes. Got the last unit lol. Kept checking my phone on inventory updates during line up and saw 1 unit left when I was about the 5th person to the cashier.

So far this thing is amazing. Battery life is incredible. 6-7+ hours compared to my last laptop. Pretty nice specs for $800.

Maybe I`ll post something later if I find anything problematic for my uses in a few months.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #17
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
I used to be a PC guy until my boss gave me an iMac and MacBook last year.

If you do a lot of presentation, video editing, a Mac is what you want. Although the build-in software in OSX is not always perfect, you can always find better software in app store. It takes time to learn everything again, but once you master it, you won't go back to PC
Personally I'd have to disagree with that. I have a current gen Macbook Air and I used to do film editing on a Mac Pro desktop (whatever they're called). I don't like the OS layout and find the software limitations irritating, and I refuse to dual-boot it.

The extra price you pay for an Apple unit is definitely not worth it, especially once you get into the higher end of the spectrum for photo and video editing.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #18
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,032 Times in 548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
how often did you utilize the touch screen?
it is only a gimic than anything else...the only time it becomes useful is when i need to enlarge smth, as in the 2 finger spread on your iphone screen things comes on naturally....

the other times i use it is when i havfe parties at my house, i use a music app that basically change the screen in to gaint buttons for easy navigation, sp you dun have to fumble with the keyboard... lol....

yup.... pretty much sums up the touch screen experience.... other people have loads of apps that are designed for the touch screen... i havnt really gotten into them yet....

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy