REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

2014 bmw x1 xdrive 28i

thoughts on the car? super deal from bmw with 0.9% lease

thx!
Advertisement
KingVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
bmw bmw bmw

inb4 bmwx1

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,180 Times in 354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingVR4 View Post
thoughts on the car? super deal from bmw with 0.9% lease

thx!
I find the X1's cabin to be made of pretty hard plastics of an cheap looking, in addition to finding it's exterior quite poorly styled.

When placed next to a comparably sized hatchback, the X1 is not too much taller.

If you are looking for a luxury vehicle with a slightly higher driving position, take a look at the Volvo XC70. It recently got the interior from their S80 flagship, and has some pretty good incentives going on. Like the BMW, 4 years of Maintenance are included.
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
The X1 and X3 are not BMW's...

Watch at 2:50:

I know this is the old model, but the entire video is almost spot on still...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Buying an X1 is just buying the badge on the hood... Vehicle itself is not very good.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

test drive one and see what you think about it. I've driven plenty of X1's. Its got great fuel economy, and loads of power to boot. The exterior and interior is pretty blah though. Interior feels very cheap in my opinion. It's a smaller vehicle also, so not much room in the rear seats/trunk. My mom was originally going to get one. Built one up to the max with 35i motor. Still wasn't feeling it. Worth to spend the extra coin on an X3. Spacious and much better quality.

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I test drove one and I agree, enough power to boot around and great on fuel economy. The interior does look/feel cheap. The deal was what made me go check it out.
thx!
Old 12-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
its one of those cars people buy for the badge.

although... the only place where I do feel where the money went is that wonderful motor and 8 speed transmission... thats about it. The X drive isnt exactly great either...

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
nma
#RVG

drove one around when my car was in for service. I actually quite like the car. The interior is meh, but it kinda handles like a sedan and great on fuel as already mentioned. I found overall it was quite a comfortable ride, with a tad more room than a sedan, but not the lug heavy feel of an SUV
nma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #10

bmwx1 didn't show up, I guess I should chime in.

So I drove the newer gen X1 and X3 courtesy cars for a week respectively because bmw. I actually prefer the X1 over the X3 even because the X1 was lighter. The new X3 felt like a fucking land yacht compared to the old X3 because they wanted to fix the shitty ass ride.

The X1 was quite fun to hoon around in but for daily driving, it sucks compared to bmw NA engines. Not sure if they switched over to electronic steering for newer models, but mine was power steering, handling was quite nice. Another benefit is the Ebrake is still there instead of a button. Of course, the interior was no frills. Took it off road at triangle, I felt the X1 did better than the X3.

For the new X3, fucking wheel had no feedback, sounds like a ps3 steering wheel. S mode was definitely slower than the n52 engine. Driving in the snow was so so, probably due to the RFTs as my old X3 had regular tires. idrive was nice but that shit is pretty standard now a days. Did some slalom turns at ard 70km/h and I managed to get one of the wheels off the ground. that shit never happened in the X1 or old X3.

Tbh, I prefer a X1 more than a F30 328d wagon. But I favour the E era more than the F era.

BMW Pre-Owned Search
you can always check out this X3, driven for 4 years with loving care

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."

dapperfied yraisis

FastAnna i really cant
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2013, 11:49 PM   #11
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,186 Times in 239 Posts
Busy work the last few days, didn't get a chance to read the forum.

Well first, if you say people buy the x1 28i just for the badge, I can only say maybe you haven't driven the car yourself. It is basically an e90 3 series with a f30 328i engine and trans with hatch utility which is quite nice if you can forget some of the plastic material inside. I don't mind the plastic as they are only at the lower dash. Many people on the forum traded their previous e90 inline 6 for the x1 28i some for the x1 35i which is even better. Maybe some people buy the car for the badge, but it was not my intention. But I have to be honest, the major 4 factors that sold me were: 1) the price which is a few grand less than a 328i and basically performs the same 2)the engine 3)8 speed auto 4) hydraulic steering

Now to elaborate:

-Like some mentioned, the 2 liter turbo is actually quite amazing, gets around 10L/100km in the city, low end torque is amazing

-8 speed auto, spinning at 1700rpm at 110km/h

-the only lineup in the bmw family that still offer hydraulic steering

-I really like the heavy steering feel, especially on the highway, the new 3 series f30 have a very light feel

As of right now, the x1 only has the infinity ex37 as its competitor, I'd the x1 outshines it in engine, trans, cornering ability. The ex37 is more luxurious, has more features for the money. But the German ride feel is something you won't get especially on the highway cruising at 110km/h. I have driven domestic and Japanese vehicles on the highways at that speed, and it feels the cars are about to take off, the x1 on the other hand is very stable at high speed, doesn't even feel that fast.

One last thing, the x1 drives just like a sedan like the e90 but rides a few inches taller which is a plus.

Last edited by is350; 12-30-2013 at 11:01 AM.
is350 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #12
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
The X1 and X3 are not BMW's...
Because it was built in Austria?

That's like saying the Ridgeline isn't a Honda (built in North America), my shoes aren't Aldo (made in Romania), and my scarf isn't Burberry (made in Chi...errr...scratch this one).
ScratchedMy991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchedMy991 View Post
Because it was built in Austria?

That's like saying the Ridgeline isn't a Honda (built in North America), my shoes aren't Aldo (made in Romania), and my scarf isn't Burberry (made in Chi...errr...scratch this one).
No, because it wasn't even designed by BMW... At least the first gen X3, not sure about the new models...

Old 12-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
i like how "bmwx1" changed his name to "is350" right after this thread was created...

that says something.
boostfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #15

I sent in my request for name change before the thread was even created. ?NR took a few days to make the change or I could've got my name changed last week. I trade my car for an is350 last week, that's why.

edit: to say a bmw x1 isn't even a bmw is non sense. Uses the same engine and trans as the 3 series, 5 series, x3, z4. Even shares the same suspension as the e90, of course the interior isn't on par with other bmw's cuz the price is cheaper, so they have to cut the cost down somewhere. And the x1 I had was made in germany.

Last edited by is350; 12-31-2013 at 03:17 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #16
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
That's nice. congrats.
boostfever is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by is350 View Post
I sent in my request for name change before the thread was even created. ?NR took a few days to make the change or I could've got my name changed last week. I trade my car for an is350 last week, that's why.

edit: to say a bmw x1 isn't even a bmw is non sense. Uses the same engine and trans as the 3 series, 5 series, x3, z4. Even shares the same suspension as the e90, of course the interior isn't on par with other bmw's cuz the price is cheaper, so they have to cut the cost down somewhere. And the x1 I had was made in germany.
I only said it as a joke (see clarkson reference above).

Bottom line is that the X1, both generations of the X3 and the new X5 all look like they were designed then sent to Mercedes to be beat with an ugly stick before they finally emerged out of production.

This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #18

^heuhuehue the rear window panes of E83 made it onto the F30 window. Don't see why you hate the X series so much. BMW design has pretty much gone to shits after Bangle left. All the cars are now a conglomerate of Bangle panels. Driving wise, it's pretty much a bmw. Design wise, It's never going to look like a 2002, E30, or E36, but who gives a fuck as long as it's actually fun and relaxing to drive.

I managed to fit a full size bathtub into my X3, find me a small size suv that can do such a feat. A glk definitely can't do it, maybe a Q5? Drove with one 20% tire and one new tire on the rear axle for 1.5 yrs without any problems on the diff. Drove like a douche, redlining every week with 3 oil changes during the 4 years I had it, engine still runs like a champ when I returned it. Meme405, have you actually driven a X3 or a X1?

All austrian made bmws were final assembled in germany, thus the W on the vin.

Quote:

dapperfied yraisis

FastAnna i really cant
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2014, 12:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
^heuhuehue the rear window panes of E83 made it onto the F30 window. Don't see why you hate the X series so much. BMW design has pretty much gone to shits after Bangle left. All the cars are now a conglomerate of Bangle panels. Driving wise, it's pretty much a bmw. Design wise, It's never going to look like a 2002, E30, or E36, but who gives a fuck as long as it's actually fun and relaxing to drive.

I managed to fit a full size bathtub into my X3, find me a small size suv that can do such a feat. A glk definitely can't do it, maybe a Q5? Drove with one 20% tire and one new tire on the rear axle for 1.5 yrs without any problems on the diff. Drove like a douche, redlining every week with 3 oil changes during the 4 years I had it, engine still runs like a champ when I returned it. Meme405, have you actually driven a X3 or a X1?

All austrian made bmws were final assembled in germany, thus the W on the vin.
Yes I have driven the first generation X3. Drives fine, like a car. No problems there, just looks like a turd...

And big deal about redlining it every week... I redline my car 5 times a day, drive it like you stole it.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #20
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Thank you all for the suggestions! I got the X1. I drive on the highway most of the time so it's a plus for me. The No-charge scheduled maintenance only covers:

brake fluid, spark plug, micro filter, fuel filter, air filter, vehicle check & standard scope of services, and engine oil change plus top-ups.

How often does the X1 need servicing? I searched around and didn't find the maintenance schedule. Or am I suppose to wait for the computer to tell me when I need oil change and stuff.

Thanks again!
Old 01-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #21
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

^ BMW doesn't have a maintenance "schedule". At least that what I was told by a Brian Jessel mechanic when I looked into an X3 a few years ago. Apparently, a bazillion computers use electronic witchcraft to monitor all areas of the car and let you know when to go for service.
ScratchedMy991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:31 PM   #22

Just follow what your dash says.

Air filter, they never changed my air filter

Quote:

dapperfied yraisis

FastAnna i really cant
Old 01-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingVR4 View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions! I got the X1. I drive on the highway most of the time so it's a plus for me. The No-charge scheduled maintenance only covers:

brake fluid, spark plug, micro filter, fuel filter, air filter, vehicle check & standard scope of services, and engine oil change plus top-ups.

How often does the X1 need servicing? I searched around and didn't find the maintenance schedule. Or am I suppose to wait for the computer to tell me when I need oil change and stuff.

Thanks again!
follow the computer screen. It will indicate you to take the car for first oil change at 20k.
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #24
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by is350 View Post
follow the computer screen. It will indicate you to take the car for first oil change at 20k.
Or once a year. Just got one done one year after the in-service date. Though they don't reset the onboard computer, so it'll still be due within 3,000km (about 15k on the odo so far).
Timbits93 is offline   Reply With Quote