REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:22 AM   #26
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Old house with old meter? if so, then the gears of the meter is probably so worn that it is not registering.. that's one of the reason why BCHydro wants to upgrade everyone to modern solid state meters, so you don't get charge less as your meter ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywoman View Post
I live with 3 other adults and a baby in an old house with gas and hydro, this current billing cycle the two combined are about $200; you have to be using a lot of stuff to be $500
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2013, 01:27 AM   #27
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Since you are renting, just get an electrician in. If it is a condo, make sure you let the front desk know, so your electrician can access the panels and access points that are not in your apartment just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
Yes, everything is on hydro.
We inspected the heater and its working properly, not loosing heat and not coming on when it should not come on.

We are going to have an electrician come in and take a look at everything if there is no resolution tomorrow.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #28
SardaukarMod

well, i changed two of three thermostats from 20 to 16 starting from 12:01am on the 29th. our kid's room we turned it down to 18-19. and we tried to make less use of our kitchen's halogen pot lights as well as making sure to turn off unnecessary lights. this is the result after our two-day experiment.

my wife's grumbling a bit about being a bit cold so we might turn the heat up a bit.

we have all our blinds closed now but it makes the place a bit dark. I wonder if I use more electricity countering the heat loss from open blinds or from using more lamps to light up the place with daylight... I doubt that our blinds really keep much (or any) heat in though.
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Lighting in our place is all super energey efficent lighting and we still only use one or two lights at any one given time.

Your meter readings are great compared to ours!!!!
We shut off everything but the fridge and water heater and we still get 48-52
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #30
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

http://www.amazon.ca/P3-Internationa.../dp/B00009MDBU

you might want to pick up a kill a watt, and run it everyday in a different plug in the house, thats how i found out that one of my side lamps would continue to draw power even when it was off.
Street Car --> 15.45 | Vega --> 11.65
seekerbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #31
SardaukarMod

Quote:
Lighting in our place is all super energey efficent lighting and we still only use one or two lights at any one given time.

Your meter readings are great compared to ours!!!!
We shut off everything but the fridge and water heater and we still get 48-52
Yeah, if you're still getting 48-52 and everything but the fridge and water heater are off, I definitely think BC Hydro needs to take a look because all I did was turn down the heat by 4 degrees and shut off some lights and our electricity bill for the day went down by at least a third.
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #32
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Still havent checked your hotwater heater tank? I bet one of the thermostat is turned all the way up while the other one is turned down...
Posted via RS Mobile
JesseBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #33
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanks for the Kill a Watt Monitor info
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #34
Rs has made me the man i am today!

If your house is all eletric you might want to check where your water tank is. I found that in my townhouse it was cranked all the way up when we moved in and that caused the huge bill.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #35
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Here is another example of why things dont match up.

Dec 24, we had my wife's dad over for dinner. Had all the lights in the house on, heat on, using hot water to wash, ran dish washer, had two showers and our usage was 75kwh for the day.

Dec 25. Her dad and my dad over, all lights on, heaters on, 3 showers, 2 loads of dishes through the dish washer, running lots of hot water for larger dishes, oven was on from 10:30am - 5:30pm cooking brunch and dinner. Usage was 85kwh for the day.

Dec 26. 1 Shower, 1 light on, 1 heater running. 73kwh.

Just does not make any sense.

I will have to take a look at the hot water tank. I took a quick look and it had two access panels on the side that noted you need to kill the breaker before adjusting temp. I assume the thermostats are behind those. Not sure how to make sure they are adjusted properly as I have no experience with water heaters.
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #36
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Here is another example of why things dont match up.

Dec 24, we had my wife's dad over for dinner. Had all the lights in the house on, heat on, using hot water to wash, ran dish washer, had two showers and our usage was 75kwh for the day.

Dec 25. Her dad and my dad over, all lights on, heaters on, 3 showers, 2 loads of dishes through the dish washer, running lots of hot water for larger dishes, oven was on from 10:30am - 5:30pm cooking brunch and dinner. Usage was 85kwh for the day.

Dec 26. 1 Shower, 1 light on, 1 heater running. 73kwh.

Just does not make any sense.

I will have to take a look at the hot water tank. I took a quick look and it had two access panels on the side that noted you need to kill the breaker before adjusting temp. I assume the thermostats are behind those. Not sure how to make sure they are adjusted properly as I have no experience with water heaters.
Also where your hot watertank is there might be a baseboard heater which may turned up all the way as well. That was another culprit for our huge bills.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #37
I am Hook'd on RS

I am really upset about my latest BC hydro bill too..

I just moved my family into a 1000 sq foot condo in hopes of saving $$

It is a brand new building, we are the first occupants in the unit...

For our first 2 months usage our bill was $293!! Nearly double the cost of my old 3000sq ft house. I have 2 friends who live in the same building and there bills are about $60/month...The only answer that I can think is that the baseboard heaters are really power consuming and we usually had the heat on because we have 2 small children.

I was really disappointed when I saw that first bill lol...
pissedoffe55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:07 PM   #38
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Electric heaters use A LOT of power. My bill multiplies by 3 during the colder months when I have the heaters on when I'm not out.
jaguar604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:26 PM   #39
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Electrically heated homes consume two to three times the electricity as a non electrically heated home; but of course you won't have a natural gas bill to deal with. And all of that electricity consumption for heating is concentrated in the winter months.
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #40
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
I mine about $10 in cryptocurrency per day. It works out well in the winter months since it heats my condo, as well.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #41
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I should know this but I don't, what is the quickest way to determine which is cheaper to use, BC Hydo or Fortis Gas? I know there is a step 1 then a step 2 with hydro but I am trying to get a general sense of what is cheaper to use at the moment, electricity or gas?
CrazyMBalla is offline   Reply With Quote