REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Michael Schumacher undergoes brain surgery following ski accident (https://www.revscene.net/forums/691562-michael-schumacher-undergoes-brain-surgery-following-ski-accident.html)

BeefCake4000 12-29-2013 07:49 PM

Michael Schumacher undergoes brain surgery following ski accident

Michael Schumacher in critical condition after skiing accident - CNN.com

Michael Schumacher, the most successful driver in Formula 1 history, is in critical condition after suffering severe head trauma in a skiing accident in the French Alps on Sunday, hospital officials said.

The 44-year-old German, who retired from the elite motorsport for the second time in 2012, fell and hit his head on a rock, said the director of the Meribel resort where Schumacher was skiing.

Schumacher was in a coma when he arrived at the University Hospital Center of Grenoble and required immediate brain surgery, hospital officials said in a written statement.

But doctors haven't released details about his injuries or his prognosis.
Vettel and Schumacher\'s route to success Vettel and Schumacher's route to success

Resort director Christophe Gernignon-Lecomte said the incident happened while Schumacher was skiing off-piste (on unmarked slopes) Sunday morning in the mountains of Meribel resort between Georges Bauduis Piste and La Biche Piste.

Gernignon-Lecomte told CNN the racing star was wearing a helmet when he hit his head. Rescuers reached him minutes later and airlifted him to a nearby hospital, he said.

It's unclear what caused the accident, the resort director said.

"We have to wait for a police report," he said. "There is an open investigation going on. We insist on the fact that Michael Schumacher was skiing off-piste and his fall is not linked to an avalanche."

Schumacher's spokesperson Sabine Kehm released a statement to the official F1 website, confirming the accident had happened on "a private ski trip."

"He was taken to hospital and is receiving professional medical care," she said.

"We ask for understanding that we cannot give continuous information about his health. He was wearing a helmet and was not alone. For his fall, no other person was involved."

A spokesman for the first-aid responders in Meribel -- who asked not to be named as a matter of protocol -- confirmed that Schumacher was wearing a helmet.
Mentoring Vettel and Schumacher

He said Schumacher had been transferred from the Hospital of Moutiers to the Grenoble Hospital, where there is a trauma center.

The spokesman added that the injury was "not life-threatening" and that Schumacher was conscious at the scene of the accident.

Former French F1 driver Olivier Panis visited the hospital in Grenoble but was not able to see Schumacher, BFM reported.

"I will come back tomorrow. Yes I am worried," Panis told BFM.

"I know that his family has arrived. As I am here in Grenoble, I want to come to him and say hello, for old times' sake. He is a great champion and someone very loved in Formula 1."

Schumacher made his F1 debut in 1991 and had won a record seven world titles by the time of his first retirement in 2006 -- five of those with Ferrari.

He returned to the track with the revived Mercedes team in 2010, but struggled to repeat his earlier glories.

His best finish was third place at last year's European Grand Prix in Valencia, his only podium position in three seasons with the German manufacturer.

Sunday's accident occurred at a popular ski resort in an area known for its challenging slopes.

"The great majority of it is above treeline. which basically means it's literally higher than where trees will grow. And the result is that if you are anything less than a really experienced skier, it's very easy to lose your bearings, because you don't see much in the way of vegetation around you or anything else," said Paul Hochman, a former contributing editor at SKI Magazine. "It's just literally all white, all snow."

British journalist Kevin Garside told CNN that Schumacher is "a very good skier" but acknowledged that he is "fearless" -- like most F1 drivers.

"These people don't recognize fear like you and I do. There is no gene in their body that lets them go slow," Garside said.

"Schumacher wasn't a skier when he joined Ferrari (in 1996) but by the end he was excellent. Each year Ferrari used to have a media week in the Alps in Italy and they would always have a race -- and it was always Schumacher who won. He was a genuinely quick skier.

"But he was always very mindful of the danger around him. I approached him for an interview at the top of the slope and he said it would have to be quick as he wanted to check the piste. That meant he wanted to make sure he understood the slopes, the cambers, even though it was only a fun race."

BBMme 12-29-2013 08:30 PM

That's crazy. Years of racing without incident and brain surgery after a ski trip. Hope he recovers
Posted via RS Mobile

asian_XL 12-30-2013 02:52 AM

Hope he will be okay
Posted via RS Mobile

LancerBoy 12-30-2013 10:29 AM

That sucks. First it's Walker, now it's Schumacher.

N.V.M. 12-30-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LancerBoy (Post 8390669)
That sucks. First it's Walker, now it's Schumacher.

:rukidding:

shenmecar 12-30-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N.V.M. (Post 8390771)
:rukidding:

lol
Posted via RS Mobile

snails 12-30-2013 02:17 PM

years boxing, mountain biking, bmxing, skateboarding.. with a couple scratches

smallest fall ive ever had snowboarding and i suffered a 3rd degree separated shoulder and dislocation.. snow sports are dangerous!

im a huge fan of Schumacher and I hope his condition turns around!

StylinRed 12-30-2013 03:25 PM

its being discussed in the f1 thread but i'll add it here too :/

He underwent a 2nd operation late last night where they drilled holes in his skull to relieve pressure :(

There were warnings telling people not to ski off-piste the day before his accident due to avalanche risks and 7 deaths across the Alps over 2 days :(

bcedhk 12-30-2013 04:16 PM

http://cdn.styleforum.net/2/2f/2fde6722_36ctaw.jpeg mr.schumacher

Ludepower 12-30-2013 04:30 PM

Hear it all the time. People skiing off bounds and back country avalanche risk.
Im content with my in-bounds runs.

!Kodamu 12-30-2013 09:16 PM

Schumacher, condizioni critiche: tutti gli aggiornamenti in diretta

Picture of where the accident happen

schumi: ecco Il luogo dello schianto
Posted via RS Mobile

falcon 12-30-2013 11:30 PM

LOLS. Everyone making a big deal of off piste and back country riding are pussies. Riding/sking has risks everyone who does is knows about and is aware of. I love hiking bowls, cliff drops, riding trees, pillow lines and more. Not everyone wants to live in a bubble wrapped life. You think Schumacher should he make it through is going to go "gee, I really shouldn't have skied, it's too dangerous!". NO. Of course not. Him, just like the millions of others who do extreme sports do it for the thrill and excitement. You think cruising down the green runs is fun for anyone older than 10? Yeah, SO MUCH FUN!!.. Hell if it hasn't snowed overnight I usually won't even go back when I lived in a ski town. Big pow dump? Time to hit the back country.

And if you got a 3rd degree separation snowboarding you suck. Sorry. I've had major bails, a few concussions and hurt joints. It all comes with the territory. But I've never broken a bone or separated anything. And I'm not exactly pro. I'm an average rider at best.

que the fails.

Jas29 12-30-2013 11:54 PM

So he sucks at snowboarding since he fell once

falcon 12-31-2013 12:37 AM

No, I bail all the time.

bballguy 12-31-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 8391054)
LOLS. Everyone making a big deal of off piste and back country riding are pussies. Riding/sking has risks everyone who does is knows about and is aware of. I love hiking bowls, cliff drops, riding trees, pillow lines and more. Not everyone wants to live in a bubble wrapped life. You think Schumacher should he make it through is going to go "gee, I really shouldn't have skied, it's too dangerous!". NO. Of course not. Him, just like the millions of others who do extreme sports do it for the thrill and excitement. You think cruising down the green runs is fun for anyone older than 10? Yeah, SO MUCH FUN!!.. Hell if it hasn't snowed overnight I usually won't even go back when I lived in a ski town. Big pow dump? Time to hit the back country.

And if you got a 3rd degree separation snowboarding you suck. Sorry. I've had major bails, a few concussions and hurt joints. It all comes with the territory. But I've never broken a bone or separated anything. And I'm not exactly pro. I'm an average rider at best.

que the fails.

snails 12-31-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

que the fails.

you are an idiot.. one of the reasons snow sports are so dangerous is because there is little consistency.. sometimes you arnt landing on nice fluffy soft snow.. sometimes its ice... and not every time are you lucky.. i boxed and never got a concussion.. guess you are just a pussy

que the thanks.

StylinRed 12-31-2013 04:53 AM

Quote:

que the fails.

Given that there were heightened warnings for that particular weekend where 7 people had already died and the avalanche risk rating was at maximum it wasn't anywhere near the smartest or coolest thing to do, and certainly not the most responsible thing to do especially with his son (what is he 12? edit. his son is 14)

Improvement in his Condition

Quote:

a brain scan showed small, "surprising" signs of improvement, but grim doctors said Tuesday they could offer no insight into the prognosis for the Formula 1 champion.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/michael...gery-1.2479866

LightKeeper 12-31-2013 05:50 AM

Big schumie fan here.
Sad to say this but even if he recovered, its hard to say he'll be the same person.
This is a major brain surgery he is going through.
Dont know if he'll be able to do all the things he loved doing again especially racing.
Posted via RS Mobile

falcon 12-31-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballguy (Post 8391083)

Thanks for noticing. I am in fact, a Bad Ass.

mikemhg 12-31-2013 04:13 PM

Man that area he went through looked sketchy with the snow dusting over unexposed rocks. Bad move.

frozen 12-31-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

que the fails.

Shut up noob.

AzNightmare 12-31-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 8391297)
Thanks for noticing. I am in fact, an E-Bad Ass.

Fixed.

meme405 12-31-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

que the fails.

So people who break a bone skiing or boarding automatically suck?

LOLWUT?

Although learning to fall in a controlled and safe manner is an important aspect to getting better. Nothing will escape you from the inherit danger of the sport. Especially not if you want to be a progressive rider and get better from season to season.

I spend a lot of time in the back country and in the park as well, injuries can happen anywhere on the mountain, in fact the biggest bone break I have from snowboarding was on a mellow ride down a blue run, not while launching myself off of 60' booters. Shit happens, danger lurks around every corner.

Hope to see Schumi back and better than ever soon. My prayers are with him and his family tonight.

Manic! 06-16-2014 01:57 AM

Good news he's out of the Coma

BBC News - F1 legend Michael Schumacher 'out of coma'

Quote:

F1 champion Michael Schumacher has left hospital in Grenoble and is no longer in a coma, his family says.

The 45-year-old German will continue his rehabilitation at an undisclosed location, they said in a statement.

Schumacher was placed in a medically induced coma after suffering a severe head injury in a skiing accident in the French Alps on 29 December.

His family thanked people who had sent messages of support, saying: "We are sure it helped him."

StylinRed 06-16-2014 02:09 AM

There have been rumors recently that he'd awoken and had been moved to a rehabilitation centre but i thought they were just playing on the families last statement about him having 'moments of consciousness'

Glad to have them confirmed by the family

Hopefully his rehabilitation will be quick and fruitful

really hope he'll have some semblance of his old self