REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   receding gum lines (https://www.revscene.net/forums/691569-receding-gum-lines.html)

stewie 12-30-2013 11:01 AM

receding gum lines

ive noticed recently that one of my teeth on my lower jaw (the one beside the k9 going towards the molars) has the gum lowering a bit. I can now see the tiny tip of the root and its super sensitive.

ive my regular dentist check up in a few weeks, but im just wondering if theres any natural things I can do to help bring it back up.

brush several times a day, soft brush, barely any pressure, on a 45deg angle as my dentist has told me to do.

floss nightly

mouth wash twice a day

anything else I can do?

ive read those "home remedies", but im a bit skeptical of them...one was to mix baking soda + water until its a paste and rub it into the gums daily to kill all bacteria, which should promote the gum line to rise again after a 4-12 weeks.

saw this other natural oil called "dental pro 7" which seems to be "amazing" yet I cant find a single review on a message board.

anyone else have any tips/suggestions as to what to do? im not ruling a gum graft out, but if I can avoid it then ill at least give it a try.

BrRsn 12-30-2013 11:07 AM

I had a similar problem, all my dentist told me was to start the stroke (when brushing) at the gums and go to the tip of the tooth, but not vice versa

Maybe bro-science on my dentists' part, but problem has stopped ... ?

sonick 12-30-2013 11:33 AM

lol dentist broscience

Spidey 12-30-2013 11:53 AM

I have never heard of receded gums regrowing. Usually when it gets bad, you will require surgery to repair the gums.

Bacteria isn't the cause (unless due to gingivitis). It is from brushing incorrectly/too often. It can also be from grinding when you sleep.

I know people say that you should technically brush after every meal, but it is a bit excessive to me. floss after every meal, sure... but brushing? I wouldn't. That's my personal opinion though. Obviously your dentist would know best.

twitchyzero 12-30-2013 12:08 PM

it's irreversible...you just have to adjust your brushing techniques so it's not so abrasive (don't be pressing too hard..only pea-sized amount toothpaste...slower/lighter strokes)
use any of the brand-name sensitive relief toothpaste...sensodyne..colgate pro-relief...and don't rinse with water after youre done brushing
don't bother with those natural oils

stewie 12-30-2013 12:40 PM

Twitchy, you said don't rinse with water after brushing?

What do you do? I've always rinsed since the taste of toothpaste when swallowed is enough to make me puke...even with mouth rinse, just a dab goes down and I'm face into the sink trying not to puke lol
Posted via RS Mobile

twitchyzero 12-30-2013 12:51 PM

just spit it out best you can...also a reason why you use only pea-sized amount
you want it to retain on your teeth for as long as possible.
i recommend it to patients twice daily, two minutes each and after 2 weeks it's effective against sensitivity
it's odd at first but you get used to it

m3thods 12-30-2013 04:39 PM

Colgate Prohealth Sensitivity toothpaste is the truth.

I have a bit of recession due to clenching at night. It's not bad now, but I'm getting a nightguard next year when my coverage allows it.

And you may not want to hear this, but using a Sonicare toothbrush has greatly improved my oral hygiene. I used to use the rotary oral-b brushes, but it was a bit too abrasive. Sonicare is easy peasy.

hi-revs 12-31-2013 06:08 PM

Can't grow it back.
Brush gently.
May need a gum graft down the road.