REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #76
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
The mercury thing is a red herring. Bulbs use a miniscule amount, and you'd pretty much have to be either eating or snorting the glass shards to ingest any of it... and even then you'd probably have to go through dozens of bulbs to get an amount that even be considered harmful in the first place. In other words, in order to poison yourself on the mercury in your household CFLs, you'd have to be doing such an epicly stupid thing, repeatedly, that you're probably better off succumbing to Darwin anyway.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #77
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
That's it... I'm buying a box of incandescent bulbs next time in the states.

These bulbs are sketch when they die. From flashing that bright green light to smoking that pungent smell before dying, it's sketch.

Yeah, some go out peacefully as well, but too many cons than pros IMO.

Cons:
Shitty light
Takes time to warm up
Potential to smoke/rapid flicker when dying
Mercury if I accidently drop it (which I have, and they explode like flourescent bulbs)

Pros:
energy savings?
Exactly what I did. Home Depot had a great sale on the old style bulbs last time I was down there, so I bought a bunch of 60w and 100w bulbs... Now I'm stocked up for a few years

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #78
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,810 Times in 8,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
The mercury thing is a red herring. Bulbs use a miniscule amount, and you'd pretty much have to be either eating or snorting the glass shards to ingest any of it... and even then you'd probably have to go through dozens of bulbs to get an amount that even be considered harmful in the first place. In other words, in order to poison yourself on the mercury in your household CFLs, you'd have to be doing such an epicly stupid thing, repeatedly, that you're probably better off succumbing to Darwin anyway.
Posted via RS Mobile
I agree, it's stupid to get worked up over mercury. They used to give it to people as a laxative. Yes it's poisonous, but it's not something to be overly concerned about.

However there are enough other problems that it's still bullshit that you HAVE to use them.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:49 PM   #79
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,511 Times in 4,903 Posts
Or science class, when the teacher let us have a drop or two in our hands to play with. I think I've built up enough immunity to it because of it, LOLOLOLOLOL.

Thanks, old chem teacher...............
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote