REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 01-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
how to clean matte powdercoat wheels

i am looking at a used set of forgeline wheels that used to be used for the track. they have seen better days... the matte powdercoat finish has gone cloudy, there are surface scratches, and there is brake dust baked into it.

they are agressively priced low because of this. i don't know what is safe to clean powdercoat, let alone a matte powdercoat. if i were to send them back to forgeline the cost to refinish them is too close to buying them new.

is there a cost-effective product out there that can save these?

Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
powder coat is plastic eccentially bonded to the metal and cooked on.. so acids like wheel acid are a bad idea, what does work really well for break dust is a de-greaser like simple green

i would simple green them and get a couple magic erasers and go to work! once all clean wax those bishes up to prevent brake dust from settling again
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
Witness protection

does wax and a matte finish mix? won't be matte after waxing?

this is sort of what it should have looked like new:

"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 01-05-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Claybar?
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
Claybar?
Posted via RS Mobile
i have been googling around and people are saying to claybar is good for normal brake dust, but leftovers from track pads is a different beast altogether

what about steam cleaning?
Old 01-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

Use IronX to get rid of the baked on brake dust. It is safe for powder coated wheels. Snails is right, anything but a ph balanced cleaner could potentially stain the wheels. Clean them well and then have us Opticoat them. Should be able to use nothing more than soap and water, even after tracking them and the OC will only deepen the colour a bit without adding gloss. Bring one by and we'll try IronX on it.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #7
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911fanatic View Post
Use IronX to get rid of the baked on brake dust. It is safe for powder coated wheels. Snails is right, anything but a ph balanced cleaner could potentially stain the wheels. Clean them well and then have us Opticoat them. Should be able to use nothing more than soap and water, even after tracking them and the OC will only deepen the colour a bit without adding gloss. Bring one by and we'll try IronX on it.
i don`t think the seller would let me bring one in. i would have to buy them first... argh.

someone pm`d me asking why i am being such a cheapass and just buy them new... i wish i could, but these wheels new are around $1600usd each.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:27 PM   #8
Need to Seek Professional Help

Let me know if I can help in any way.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:54 AM   #9
Witness protection

thanks.... thinking hard!