REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:01 AM   #51
I bringith the lowerballerith

Not stereotyping if its true and hold good stats. Anyways, i guess i should've added it's always asian drives (for me), which basically is what the next setence is about.

Quote:
from my personal experience, when i check the driver,its always asians that make ridiculous mistake
Quote:
I agree with how people will increase their speed when you signal for lane change. But if there is a decent gap between you and the car next to you, why does it matter even if the driver speed up? you signaled, then you lane changed, by the time you complete your lane change, the driver wouldn't have caught up to you unless there were barely any space and you tried to lane change, then that's your problem.
because i dont want to get rear ended. Also, if the driver thinks that gap was small enough for him to just speed up as it is not decent enough for another car, then that means he would have to slow down again to make that gap for himself again which means that he is basically a moving wall and blocking a lane change. Him letting off the accel is a much more smoother and safer process for both.

Of course it's my problem but drivers often NEED to rely on the courtesy of others. In a situation where you are suddenly stuck in stopped traffic and you need to change lanes. You turn on the blinker and usually the car beside you will hold onto their brake to create that gap for you. He doesn't need to and its your problem that your in the wrong lane in stuck traffic but being courtesy just makes it better overall. Same concept applied in moving traffic.
Advertisement
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:58 AM   #52
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
Not stereotyping if its true and hold good stats.
It is stereotyping....but that doesn't mean it's not true....for example, me saying "most black people love KFC"....that's stereotyping...it's also true...

bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2014, 01:20 AM   #53
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiety View Post
I agree with how people will increase their speed when you signal for lane change. But if there is a decent gap between you and the car next to you, why does it matter even if the driver speed up? you signaled, then you lane changed, by the time you complete your lane change, the driver wouldn't have caught up to you unless there were barely any space and you tried to lane change, then that's your problem.
Seriously? You don't know why it does matter? I can't believe you're on the road if you don't understand the concept and significance of "space management".

Even if there was enough space that despite your increase in speed to close the gap and block that lane change, and the other driver is still able to complete his change, you've effectively reduced both the safety margins for you, and the other drivers.

I can't believe I'm explaining this to someone. This concept is so basic that it should go without saying.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #54
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Seriously? You don't know why it does matter? I can't believe you're on the road if you don't understand the concept and significance of "space management".

Even if there was enough space that despite your increase in speed to close the gap and block that lane change, and the other driver is still able to complete his change, you've effectively reduced both the safety margins for you, and the other drivers.

I can't believe I'm explaining this to someone. This concept is so basic that it should go without saying.
I have no idea what you are trying to say. I'm not helping the driver who speeds up. I'm saying the driver who wants to lane change should check if there is sufficient space. I have never had a driver speed up on me when there is a good amount of distance when I'm doing the lane change. The reason someone who speeds up is probably because there isn't enough space, and you have your signal on, and trying to lane change, then that's your fault for not finding the right time to lane change.
anxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #55
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiety View Post
I have no idea what you are trying to say. I'm not helping the driver who speeds up. I'm saying the driver who wants to lane change should check if there is sufficient space. I have never had a driver speed up on me when there is a good amount of distance when I'm doing the lane change. The reason someone who speeds up is probably because there isn't enough space, and you have your signal on, and trying to lane change, then that's your fault for not finding the right time to lane change.
Your supposed to signal as soon as you have intent and then wait when it is safe to do so. If a car is going to speed up because there isnt enough space then he shouldnt be speeding up at all anyways(for his and the car ahead's safe space management). So what does he do after he speeds up? brake and slow down again.

Now say that the lane changer got behind him. That speed-upper is now braking and the whole lane is gonna have to brake and slow down. He could've just let off the pedal for a few seconds and allowed a smooth lane change and no braking for anyone.

Yes it is common sense to find a decent gap when your going to lane change but sometimes there just isnt (see: my stuck traffic scenario from couple posts above). You are arguing to agree; there is a increasing number of drivers who are selfish.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote